Quantcast

Friday, October 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Waikiki man suffers burns in high-rise kitchen fire

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:14 a.m. HST, Sep 12, 2011



 

A Waikiki man in his 50s suffered burns to both arms after a kitchen fire broke out in his high-rise apartment around 12:44 a.m. Sunday, Honolulu Fire Capt. Robert Main said.

The fire was caused by unattended cooking in the man's seventh-floor apartment along the 2200 block of Ala Wai Boulevard, Main said. 

It caused $20,000 in structural damage to the kitchen and $5,000 in damage to the apartment's contents, Main said.

Firefighters had the fire extinguished by 12:55 a.m. 

The man was treated at the scene by firefighters. Paramedics then took him to a hospital, Main said.

Around 5:30 a.m. Sunday, Honolulu firefighters responded to another call of overcooked food in an Aiea high-rise building, Main said.

No one was injured and no damage occurred.

But both incidents serve as a reminder to people to carefully monitoring their stoves while cooking, Main said.

"It's a reoccurring thing," Main said. "Don't walk away while cooking."





More From The Star-Advertiser

Police and Fire




 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Small Talk
Handcuffs

Political Radar
Sued

Political Radar
Closer

Warrior Beat
Thursday’s notes

Political Radar
Instrumental