POSTED: 12:08 p.m. HST, Oct 5, 2011
LAST UPDATED: 1:11 p.m. HST, Oct 5, 2011
Circuit Judge Glenn Kim denied today a request by the defense lawyers for Toby Stangel to seal records and documents in his case, including any 911 police tapes related to the highway shooting spree June 3 that left one dead and two wounded.
Stangel's defense attorneys argued that if the tapes were made public, the publicity over them would jeopardize their client's right to a fair trial.
Stangel is charged with murder and attempted murder in connection with the shootings.
But Kim said he agreed with Star-Advertiser attorneys who argued against the defense request.
The judge said defendants received fair trials in other highly-publicized cases, including Byran Uyesugi who was convicted of the 1999 murder of seven co-workers.
"To me, it borders on the ludicrous to say Mr. Stangel cannot get a fair trial," the judge said.
Stangel's trial had been set for this month, but was rescheduled for the week of Dec. 5.
The Star-Advertiser obtained a court ruling last week from Circuit Judge Edwin Nacino who ruled the city must release five of nine 911 tapes requested by the newspaper.