POSTED: 07:40 p.m. HST, Oct 12, 2011
LAST UPDATED: 04:36 a.m. HST, Oct 13, 2011
The search for a California man missing since leaving his condo in Kauai last week has ended without an explanation of what happened to him.
Members of the U.S. Coast Guard, Kauai police and fire departments and the Civil Air Patrol searched for three days for 67-year-old Charles Slezak of Canoga Park.
He was reported missing by his wife on Oct. 3, prompting the search in Poipu (Poy-poo). Kauai police announced Tuesday that the active search was over but urged anyone who knows what happened to Slezak to contact them.
County spokeswoman Mary Daubert said Wednesday that Slezak told his wife he was going for a swim and left wearing surf shorts and carrying swim fins.
Authorities don't know for sure if Slezak made it to the beach for a swim.