POSTED: 08:04 p.m. HST, Nov 17, 2011
LAST UPDATED: 08:10 a.m. HST, Nov 18, 2011
Fire investigators have determined that hot oil, not an oven explosion injured a Kalihi woman Thursday night.
The incident occurred at 7:17 p.m. at a Kalihi street home when the woman placed a frozen food item into a pot of hot oil sitting on the top of the stove, Capt. Terry Seelig, Fire Department spokesman said.
The cold water in the frozen item reacted with the hot oil and spashed oil on the woman.
The woman was taken to the hospital in a private car before paramedics arrived. She was said to have suffered minor injuries.
Police closed Kalihi Street between Kahanu and Kaumualii streetsand Ahuula Street while police investigated the incident as a possible gas leak.
Kalihi Street reopened a short time later and Ahuula Street reopened at about 8:40 p.m.