Quantcast
  

Friday, April 18, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 20 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

WAC: Hawaii Bowl matchup uncertain if Hawaii loses

By Ferd Lewis

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:43 p.m. HST, Nov 28, 2011



The University of Nevada won't necessarily be a substitute for Hawaii again in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl if the Warriors fail to become bowl eligible, Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson said today.

The WAC has three bowl tie-ins and three teams already bowl eligible while waiting to see if UH (6-6) will beat Brigham Young Saturday to become the fourth bowl-eligible team.

WAC champion Louisiana Tech (8-4) will appear in the San Diego-based Poinsettia Bowl while an announcement of Utah State (6-5) going to the Boise-based Humanitarian Bowl is expected today.

If UH is bowl eligible, it will appear in the Dec. 24 Hawaii Bowl against a Conference USA opponent to be named.

If, however, the Warriors lose and are not bowl eligible, Nevada (6-5) will not necessarily come to Hawaii for the third time in  seven years. The Wolf Pack appeared in the 2005 and '09 Hawaii Bowls when UH was not bowl eligible.

"I think there's more moving parts," Benson said. "I mean that sounds like a simple outcome (but) I think there is some outstanding issues, some pending issues that could (impact) it," Benson said.

Benson said he is confident all bowl-eligible WAC teams will have bowls to go to.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 20 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(20)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
frontman wrote:
To represent the WAC with an in confrence losing record of 3 - 4 or any team in the WAC with a losing record should not get a bowl bid to represent the WAC.
on November 28,2011 | 09:18AM
DLIR_RS wrote:
Not the way it works. Many times teams with losing conference records get in. But according to regulations as long as you don't have a losing overall record, you can participate in a bowl. Because there are so many bowls (35, equals 70 teams) and only 120 FBS schools, many and probably MOST schools with 6-6 records, BCS conference or mid-major will be playing in a bowl.
on November 28,2011 | 10:30AM
frontman wrote:
This is not a team to be proud of. Beating 1 team that has a winning record and losing to two teams that had a total of four win between them. Bad team, worse coaching. this is not a eam or coaches to be proud of no matter how you spin it.
on November 28,2011 | 03:01PM
NITRO08 wrote:
Win or lose you should stand behind your team. If not then you are not a fan YOU ARE A BAND WAGON FAN!
on November 28,2011 | 05:50PM
bornandraised1 wrote:
Win or loose Hawaii doesnt deserve a bowl this year. They may have played to the best of their abilities but the record speaks for itself. They can keep reshowing the UC Davis game but Hawaii lost almost every game that mattered. To go to a home game bowl just based on numbers is kinda shame. Go UH i hope you beat BYU but that should be it. Doesnt really show well to be in your own bowl bottom of your division.
on November 28,2011 | 10:25AM
NITRO08 wrote:
SO OTHER TEAMS WITH 6 AND 6 RECORDS SHOULDN'T GO TO BOWL GAMES TOO. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE BOWL GAMES DON'T WATCH THEM, OTHER PEOPLE ENJOY THEM. THEN YOU SAY GO UH BEAT BYU. WHAT ARE YOU TAKING IT'S NOT WORKING NEED SOMTHING STRONGER!!!
on November 28,2011 | 05:40PM
waianae94 wrote:
There are too many bowl games, IMO. I've even seen teams with a 5-7 record go to a bowl game.
on November 28,2011 | 11:23AM
DLIR_RS wrote:
Don't think so (5-7). If so, who?
on November 28,2011 | 12:21PM
NITRO08 wrote:
Good I like to watch football it makes my season last a little longer. If you don't like it don't watch.
on November 28,2011 | 05:46PM
Bumby wrote:
Another reason why teams don't want to play 13 games. A 6-6 record gets you in a bowl. Having to play one more game and that team loses record 6-7. A 5-5 record with 3 games remaining a team needs to win 2 out of 3, instead of 1 out of 2. The UH 13th game rule today is not working. Not many schools want to play 12 games and traveling to Hawaii to get a 13th game. Hard on the players when there is only 14 weeks in a season meaning 1 bye week.
on November 28,2011 | 11:40AM
Kawipoo wrote:
Every college should have a bowl game like Hawaii so inept football programs can make more money and pay high salaries to fat inept coaches who continually whine and come up with excuses.
on November 28,2011 | 01:54PM
Loki wrote:
Like....Funny, and so true. Especially when they schedule powder puff schedules but still put out mediocre records.
on November 28,2011 | 05:40PM
NITRO08 wrote:
LIKE I SAID BEFORE FOR YOU THAT DON'T LIKE THE UH FIND ANOTHER TEAM THAT YOU CAN BE HAPPY WITH OR YOU CAN JUST GO ON COMPLAINING BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU DO BEST!!!!! ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE?
on November 28,2011 | 05:57PM
NITRO08 wrote:
I THINK YOU BETTER TAKE ANOTHER LOOK YOU ARE THE WHINNERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on November 28,2011 | 05:53PM
Kawipoo wrote:
How is like being married to McMuffin?
on November 28,2011 | 07:10PM
shcole wrote:
Lots of haters out there....no doubt all were outstanding div 1 athletes in their day, and always won the championship of their sport. congrats to you all!
on November 28,2011 | 04:12PM
NITRO08 wrote:
I agree lots of all stars in this blog. Too bad they don't knowwhat they are talking about!!!!
on November 28,2011 | 05:44PM
CartwrightPark wrote:
Being a true Warrior fan doesnt mean constantly having blind optimism. This team sorely under achieved this year. Injuries cant be blamed on the unlv, sjsu, and utah st debacles. Even if UH beats BYU, it probably wont matter because Mack NEVER has the team ready for the big games. I realize UH is just a mid major program from the WAC but I I would hope that the UH AD and all of warrior nation wont be so accepting of such mediocrity. This season had such high expectations and to see this season unfold the way it did leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of warrior fans. I just hope Mack doesnt completly undo everything this program has become in the last decade or so. All of the momentum Mack was riding on from the Sugar Bowl season appears to be comming to an end.
on November 28,2011 | 06:36PM
islandsun wrote:
Miis Ron Lee and the yards after catch coaching.
on November 28,2011 | 06:51PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Kahuku vs. SMU in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl. Guaranteed winnah.
on November 28,2011 | 10:26PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News