Quantcast

Friday, November 28, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Kalihi Valley fire caused by propane grill that wasn't turned off

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:18 a.m. HST, Dec 03, 2011


Firefighters have determined a Kalihi Valley fire that left a family with eight children homeless on Monday was started by a propane grill that was left on.

Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig said a woman who was cooking chicken thought she turned off the grill downstairs, but it wasn't adequately shut off and started burning in the room. Fausaga Mafi, a Kalihi Valley Neighborhood Board member, and her daughter both got out of the home safely.

Mafi's husband, Seluini, a Honolulu police officer, was out when the fire broke out. He rushed home when his wife called.

Donations are being accepted to help the Mafi family at the following Hawaii Law Enforcement Federal Credit Union locations:

» Main Office: 1537 Young St., 3rd Floor
» Kapolei: 889 Kamokila Blvd.
» Pearl City: 1100 Waimano Home Road (Pearl City Police Station); 1140 Kuala St. (across from Walmart).

Please call 973-4311 for hours.

Checks should be made out to HLEFCU with "Officer Seluini Mafi & Family" written on the memo line.





More From The Star-Advertiser

Police and Fire




 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News