POSTED: 2:30 p.m. HST, Dec 20, 2011
LAST UPDATED: 2:33 p.m. HST, Dec 20, 2011
LAS VEGAS >> Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. plans to plead guilty to reduced misdemeanor charges in a plea deal resolving felony allegations that he battered his ex-girlfriend, court officials said Tuesday.
Mayweather, 34, will face $3,000 in fines and could be sentenced to between two days and 18 months in the Clark County jail after pleading Wednesday to one count of battery domestic violence and two harassment charges, said Tess Driver, an aide to Clark County District Attorney David Roger.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal first reported the plea deal Tuesday.
It also includes an agreement for Mayweather to plead no contest next week to misdemeanor battery and pay a $1,000 fine for poking a 21-year-old homeowner association security guard in the face during a November 2010 argument about parking tickets on vehicles outside the boxer's home in an exclusive, suburban Las Vegas community.
Roger and Mayweather's lawyers did not immediately respond to messages from The Associated Press.
Mayweather had been facing an evidence hearing Wednesday and a decision by Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa whether to send him to trial on felony grand larceny, coercion and robbery charges, and misdemeanor domestic battery and harassment counts. He could have faced 34 years in state prison if he was convicted of all those charges.
The felony case stemmed from accusations that Mayweather hit and threatened his ex-girlfriend, stole her cell phone and threatened two of their children, then ages 10 and 9, during a September 2010 argument about the woman dating another man.
Mayweather, who uses the nickname "Money," was acquitted by a Las Vegas judge in October of other misdemeanor harassment charges alleging he threatened the lives of two other homeowner association security guards in another argument about parking tickets.
Mayweather is undefeated in the boxing ring, with a record of 42-0 with 26 knockouts.