POSTED: 08:54 p.m. HST, Jan 14, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 09:43 p.m. HST, Jan 14, 2012
Hawaii island firefighters extinguished a fire this afternoon at a Leila Road residence in Glenwood.
The fire was reported at 3:08 p.m., brought under control at 3:25 p.m. and extinguished 20 minutes later.
One occupant was home at the time but was able to escape. He suffered minor injuries but refused treatment at the scene.
The structure is described as a 1,200-square-foot single-family home.
Fire officials said a malfunctioning water heater may have caused the fire but the investigation is ongoing and no official determination has been made.
The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.