POSTED: 3:47 p.m. HST, Jan 19, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 8:46 a.m. HST, Jan 20, 2012
A state judge found six people guilty today of trespassing on Iolani Palace grounds, fined each of them $500 and placed them on probation for six months during which time they must stay away from the palace grounds.
Honolulu District Judge Dean Ochiai ruled that the state proved the six were guilty of the petty misdemeanor trespass charges for remaining on the grounds the evening of Nov. 7 after it had been closed because of the Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference.
The six were among 23 arrested on the second-degree trespass charge.
The others are scheduled to go on trial in February and March.
The six who represented themselves during the nonjury trial raised defenses that included the state did not the authority to close the grounds and they had a right as members of a Hawaiian kingdom to remain on the property.
The judge's sentence followed the recommendation of Deputy Attorney General Vince Kanemoto.
Keline Kahau, 38, a Waianae resident and one of the six, said she plans to appeal. She said they have a right to be on the palace grounds according to their Hawaiian Kingdom Government constitution.
The palace grounds were closed from Nov. 7 to Nov. 15.