Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Electric cigarette explodes in Florida man's mouth

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 08:31 a.m. HST, Feb 16, 2012

PENSACOLA, Fla >> A faulty battery caused an electronic cigarette to explode in a Florida's man's mouth, taking out some of his front teeth and a chunk of his tongue and severely burning his face, fire officials said Wednesday.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, was trying to quit smoking so he was puffing on the device Monday night when it blew up, fire officials said. Officials have not publicly identified the victim. But a Facebook page under his name was filled with well-wishers commenting on the injury and database searches matched his address with his name.

"The best analogy is like it was trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off," said Joseph Parker, division chief for the North Bay Fire Department. "The battery flew out of the tube and set the closet on fire."

Parker said fire investigators do not know the brand of cigarette, type of battery or age of the device. It appears the battery was rechargeable lithium because a recharging station and other batteries were in the room, he said.

Parker said he has forwarded information about the blaze to the fire marshal's office to include in any databases on the devices. But Parker said he has yet to hear of any similar instances.

Fire Chief Joseph Miller said the victim contacted the department on Wednesday to thank firefighters and told them he was recovering at a hospital in Mobile, Ala.

Thomas Kiklas, co-founder of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association, said the industry knows of no problems with the cigarettes or batteries exploding.

Kicklas said the cigarettes include a small battery and cartridge. The battery is designed to generate an electric charge when the device is inhaled. The charge sets off the vapor in the cigarette tube.

Kiklas cited a federal report that found 2.5 million Americans used electronic cigarettes last year.

"There have been billions and billions of puffs on the cigarettes and we have not heard of this happening before," he said.

Holloway and his family members didn't immediately answer The Associated Press' requests for interviews.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
johncdechon wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on February 15,2012 | 08:40AM
LMO wrote:
Hurt sales? Not a chance. People still smoke real ciggies, and they can kill you.
on February 16,2012 | 03:01AM
jusmetwocents wrote:
That must have been funny to watch...
on February 16,2012 | 08:31AM
sak wrote:
I guess the electric cigarette did what it was supposed to do. Bet you he isn't smoking anymore once the flash and his face stopped smoking.
on February 15,2012 | 09:18AM
Beaglebagels wrote:
Attorneys across the state just got a big smile reading this load of BS!
on February 15,2012 | 02:12PM
Manapua_Man wrote:
Someone must have bought the poor guy a "gag" model that explodes.
on February 16,2012 | 05:54AM
iwanaknow wrote:
You light up my life.
on February 16,2012 | 09:07AM
Breaking News