POSTED: 05:08 a.m. HST, Feb 20, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 08:46 p.m. HST, Feb 20, 2012
Hawaii County firefighters were able to put out a smoldering fire at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Sunday night before it had a chance to spread and cause greater damage, officials said.
Firefighters responded to a 7:02 p.m. alarm and found light smoke in the new campus gym. Campus security officers could not find the source of the smoke, but an investigation of surrounding buildings led to the discovery of the fire in an industrial gas dryer at the Physical Education Building.
The fire caused about $10,000 in damage to the dryer.
The fire was declared under control at 7:12 p.m. and put out a minute later.