POSTED: 08:55 a.m. HST, Feb 29, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 08:59 a.m. HST, Feb 29, 2012
In a continuing effort to keep sidewalks and parks clear of personal items, city workers returned to Thomas Square, Chinatown and the Moiliili-MCully and parts of Waikiki today.
Wes Chun, director of the city Department of Facilities Management, said crews began at 7 this morning at South Beretania Street fronting Thomas Square, removing tents, bicycles, furniture and other items left on the sidewalk by Occupy Honolulu protestors.
One protestor complained some of the tents were removed illegally, maintaining at least one had been retrieved only last night from the city's Halawa base yard Tuesday night. All of the items impounded today under city's new personal storage property law will be held at Halawa for 30 days before being destroyed. The city law, which took effect in December, forbids storage of personal items on city property.
No one was arrested during today's clean-up at Thomas Square, which was monitored by police.
Occupy Honolulu protestors have camped on the sidewalks of South Beretania Street in front of Thomas Square since November.
City officials told the protesters that they could continue to hold signs and pass out literature, but any tents or other items left on the sidewalks would be confiscated.
Besides Thomas Square, Chun said city workers planned to clean up city property near Moiliili Field, Pawaa Park, Old Stadium Park, Aala Park, Iwilei and Kalakakua Avenue near the old Hard Rock Cafe.