POSTED: 9:18 a.m. HST, Mar 1, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 3:22 p.m. HST, Mar 1, 2012
A 20-year-old Waipahu man, charged with manslaughter in connection with the death of a 20-year-old man in an alleged drunken freeway crash last year, will go trial on April 30.
Kyer Valeros, who is free on $50,000 bail, entered a plea of not guilty this morning and his trial is set for the week of April 30 before Circuit Judge Richard Pollock.
Police said Valeros was drunk when he flipped the minivan he was driving on Feb. 4, 2011. He is accused of manslaughter in the death of Ervin Yanuara, 20, of Waipahu; and second-degree assault for injuries suffered by another passenger.
A prosecutor said Valeros drank at least six beers and 10 shots of liquor before getting behind the wheel of a Toyota Sienna van toward Honolulu when the vehicle hit an embankment on the H-1 Freeway in Aiea, flipped several times and came to rest under the Kaonohi Street overpass. Knapp said police estimate the van was traveling 90 mph when it hit the embankment. Valeros' blood alcohol content was 0.17, more than twice the legal threshold for drunken driving, authorities said.
Valeros and Yanuara, the front-seat passenger, were thrown from the van. Yanuara died at the hospital.
Five other passengers also were hospitalized.