Quantcast

Thursday, December 18, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Child playing with lighter caused Waipahu house fire

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:



A child playing with a lighter apparently caused a fire that sent two people to the hospital and displaced a family of six from a Waipahu home on Tuesday, a fire investigator has concluded.

The child was playing with a lighter in the living room of the two-story, Kahuaina Street home about 8:13 a.m. when the lighter set some paper on fire, said Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman. The fire then extended to other portions of the room, he said. Damage was estimated at $50,000.

Neighbors used garden hoses to try to douse the fire, Seelig said. The home had no smoke alarms. The American Red Cross assisted the family with temporary housing.







 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News