Quantcast
  

Friday, April 18, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 41 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

UH backup quarterback Shutter arrested on suspicion of DUI

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:55 p.m. HST, Mar 29, 2012



Police arrested University of Hawaii backup quarterback Cayman Shutter on suspicion of drunken driving this morning.

Shutter, 21, faces suspension from the Warriors for violating terms of the school’s code of conduct for student-athletes. Head coach Norm Chow is in China, and did not immediately respond to messages.


Cayman Shutter

Athletic director Jim Donovan also could not be reached. Police said Shutter was arrested at 3:15 a.m. on the H-1 Freeway near the Punahou Street overpass and taken to the main police station on South Beretania Street.

He was released at 4:30 a.m. after posting $500 bail. Shutter is a 2009 graduate of Punahou School. He will be a fourth-year junior this coming football season. Chow had listed Shutter as the No. 2 quarterback behind David Graves.

The Warriors began spring training with three practices last week. They are on hiatus this week because of UH’s spring break.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 41 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(41)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
OldDiver wrote:
Not good. If true and Shutter is allowed to stay on the team Coach Chow may have him doing 10,000 push ups. Gotta walk the straight line guys.
on March 29,2012 | 10:58AM
palolo2001 wrote:
Chow may cut him off the team.
on March 29,2012 | 11:08AM
dalawyer wrote:
Another scholarship opens up for a deserving and qualified athlete!
on March 29,2012 | 12:34PM
LouisKSantos wrote:
Is Billy Ray Stutzman also Cayman Shutter? How could you do Billy Ray like that advertiser?
on March 29,2012 | 11:08AM
kailua000 wrote:
what?
on March 30,2012 | 12:59AM
FLIPTOP2 wrote:
As June Jones would say, "Hey, boys will be boys. Watz da worries??
on March 29,2012 | 11:15AM
Anonymous wrote:
I think that's a photo of Bill Ray Stutzman.
on March 29,2012 | 11:21AM
kailua000 wrote:
thats not Billy Ray. Thats Cayman ..unless they changed the photo
on March 30,2012 | 01:00AM
Anonymous wrote:
Isn't Shutter no#4?
on March 29,2012 | 11:22AM
Ripoff wrote:
He's gone...
on March 29,2012 | 11:31AM
allie wrote:
He was a bad QB but this public mroals charge ought to disqualify him
on March 29,2012 | 12:03PM
hon2255 wrote:
what a lo lo, he should be in bed at that hour, getting up early and training on his own with the rest of the squad. If you really want it , you gotta go get it and make the sacrifices necessary, obviously Shutter doesn't take his responsibilities seriously, hard lesson. His late grand dad I believe was David Shutter attorney.
on March 29,2012 | 12:10PM
loquaciousone wrote:
SUE UM
on March 29,2012 | 12:30PM
PATTI_K wrote:
no relation to the attorney, whatsoever
on March 29,2012 | 02:14PM
dalawyer wrote:
How ironic, being busted under the PUNAHOU St. overpass!!!! Love it how these PUNS glorify their name!!!! LOL.
on March 29,2012 | 12:33PM
Ambergris23 wrote:
@ dalawyer: I usually like your posts...but no need to bash PUNS cuz you went to public school... LOL
on March 30,2012 | 12:21AM
PabloWegesend wrote:
a year-long suspension should do it justice. One more time, be expelled!
on March 29,2012 | 12:59PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Kid made a mistake. Let the court system take care of it. He actually may be a better QB then Graves. Get him another chance.
on March 29,2012 | 01:30PM
false wrote:
Yes, let the legal system take its course, but Coach Chow has the right and responsibility to take appropriate action. Which I hope is not dismissal or suspension.
on March 29,2012 | 02:18PM
Hodad wrote:
UH has policies in place that take arrests out of the hands of the coach.
on March 29,2012 | 02:50PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Punahou boy
on March 29,2012 | 03:07PM
beebler wrote:
Yeah. Only Punahou boys get DUIs.
on March 29,2012 | 04:03PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Not
on March 29,2012 | 08:41PM
oldertimer808 wrote:
To all you who are throwing this kid under the bus for making a mistake...he who has not sinned cast the first stone....Let the court system, his parents and the school handle it accordingly. None of you are not free of mistakes so let it be.
on March 29,2012 | 03:41PM
false wrote:
Amen to that
on March 29,2012 | 04:00PM
Aawakea wrote:
Praying for you, Cayman. Gossips never get enough and never walk that mile. You're the only one who can make this right. Take care of yourself, and go in peace.
on March 29,2012 | 04:02PM
beebler wrote:
Shutter should suffer the consequences but I doubt he's deserving of being cut. Some people here are overreacting, I'd say at least half of these commenting angels have technically driven under the influence. Chill out.
on March 29,2012 | 04:09PM
st1d wrote:
don't throw him under the bus just yet. the court will decide if criminal punishment is warranted. chow will decide if and when to apply any school discipline which shouldn't be much different from any other scholarship recipient that gets arrested for dui. shutter can still recover from this mistake and be a great player and productive citizen. he's young enough to rebuild from this.
on March 29,2012 | 05:05PM
Loyalty wrote:
Let's see if Chows punahou bias (alum like shutter) will have an influence on the type of punishment handed down.
on March 29,2012 | 05:58PM
Kaimiloa wrote:
I don't think Punahou will have anything to do with his decision. But, just for giggles, put his Punahou and Morman "biases" in the same room and let them fight it out.
on March 29,2012 | 06:34PM
roughrider wrote:
Takes someone else's misfortune to bring out the idiots. Shutter (and no, the late attorney was David Schutter, I believe) will have to face the consequences of his poor judgment, and I'm sure he'll learn from it and move on. As for the idiots, I think they've doomed all their lives.
on March 29,2012 | 08:13PM
awsomeron wrote:
First of all Due Process. At 4:30 AM he should be in bed somewhere. This is a State School not BYU or BYUH or Oral Roberts. I am not even sure that the Special Code of Conduct is Legal. All student enrolled in UH represent UH, UH is known as one of the biggest party schools on the Planet. Why the double standard for him and other team players. Answer is the School Administration has something to hold over the Players Heads to control them called scholarships. Education is a key to overcoming poverty and holding the loss of that over someones head can give people unfair control over others. I would plead Not Guilty and make them prove their case. If i was thrown off the team pending the outcome I would sue, for potential loss of income as a pro. The flip of that is he needs to stop being out at 4:30am and he need to Not Drink and Drive. If found Guality pay your fine and learn your lesson. Thankfully no one was hurt.
on March 29,2012 | 08:43PM
aiea7 wrote:
it would be interesting if chow is going to have a double standard like many coaches do, similar to mack with brown and the receiver this past year. they committed a crime but because of pressure the charges were dropped , and brown and his friend were exonerated, serving very little punishment. had these guys were third or fourth stringers, they would have been kicked off the team. because they were "stars" they were kept on. is shutter in their category or expendable? if cayman is considered important to the team, any punishment would be relatively light, but if he is not in the plans for the team, he will be kicked off the team.
on March 29,2012 | 08:51PM
atilter wrote:
ooops - is all i can say. it all depends on how he handles himself from now on. we'll see if he can toe the line for the path he chose to follow. athletic talent only goes so far - the rest is personal accountability, humility, and attitude. young shutter has to show more of the last three - if he has any.
on March 29,2012 | 09:44PM
fairgame947 wrote:
If it's true, how very, very disappointing.
on March 29,2012 | 10:14PM
inverse wrote:
Actually the real story is what the heck is Chow doing in China when it is his first year as head coach and he should be eating, sleeping and working in his UH Manoa office 24 hours a day preparing for his game and getting ALL of his players head into the game for football and academics. Last year it was not a good omen 2 UH players before season started got arrested for fighting outaide a nightclub. Now a UH quarterback supposedly fighting for player time is arrested for DUI, all the while the head coach is in China. I highly doubt China is a hotbed for football recruits. Thats why I thought Chow was not the right choice as I felt he was to old and halfway to retirement and not nearly as 'hungry' as a younger coach who would be obsessed with turning around the UH program. I hope I am completely wrong but for a critical UH player to be more concerned in preseason about getting wasted then getting together with his teamates and coaches to become a winner both on and off the playing field, is not a good sign at all. Yes, many top teams have similar problems, except those teams, like Boise State, have gained so much 'momentum', problem players can be readily kicked out since top teams are so deep, as the kicked out players replacement is just as good or better than the expelled student. Unfortunately UH is so deficient, a single player like this quarterback who was arrested for driving while intoxicated will have negative consequences for the entire team and their chances for success for the upcomimg season. No way a coach hoping to turn around a problem team can be succesful if the coaches' priority is to travel abroad instead of taking care of his 'kids'. Yes, UH is in spring break, HOWEVER, if any head coach hopes to turn around the the failing UH football team, then there 'ain't' no such thing as 'vacation'.
on March 29,2012 | 11:57PM
kailua000 wrote:
athletes are not allowed by NCAA rules to practice during spring break. Chow apparently had this trip planned before he took the job, bought and paid for. Coaches need a vacation too, the whole staff, many taking this time to actually move their families to Hawaii. Plus because of the lack of proper budgeting and the states wasteful spendings, 1/2 the place is closed, if not more, to save on electricity costs. For real. Cayman, I wish you the best, you're a good kid who just made a really stupid mistake many of your nay sayers have made but just never got caught. Hope you dont lose your scholarship over this.
on March 30,2012 | 01:06AM
inverse wrote:
I can somewhat accept your argument on the need for vacation, however getting arrested for driving under the influence is so serious an infraction and violation of law, that Shutter really needs to lose his UH scholarship. Just one day ago some drunk driver killed a 3 year old boy waiting at a bus stop with his mother. DUI is way more serious than fighting outside a nightclub or a coach calling opposing players 'fa g-t dancers'. It is possible people don't want Shutter removed from the team because he was expected to play a key role on the team. Yes, people make mistakes and should be forgiven, however this 'mistake' is beyond 'forgiving'.
on March 30,2012 | 05:32AM
awsomeron wrote:
Inverse: Its called Spring Break. Staff get it also. He may have family or business in China, to include Church Business who is to say its not a requiting trip. Or to set up UH TV Broadcasts, or any number of things. Perhaps he is a Hero in China because of his accomplishments and the overcoming of Bias. Both Anti Mormon and Racial Bias. He is the very first regarding more then one thing and on more then one level. There is only so much you can do in and around your office. We have Cellphones and Internet these days and Computer Desk Tops are very mobile. I am sure he will make good use of his time. I do not plan on going to any games because the Stadium is Wet. I go to High School Games because the Stadium is Dry at those times. The only game I have been to is several years back BYU vs UH. The Drinking was Disgusting and there where No or very few Police DUI Checks Points. I swore I would not subject my children to that again. Duke tried to take care of the problem but that effort failed. It appears that Gambling and or a Lottery spoil Hawaii's image so I can't win 500 million dollars investing a small amount of my small change. However Public Drunkenness on National TV is acceptable. Maybe he just want to ride on a rubber raft down the Yellow River.
on March 30,2012 | 01:29AM
inverse wrote:
How many players on the UH football team can afford a vacation/trip to China? The point is he expects his student/players to make great sacrifices in order to turn the UH football program around. In return, players expect their coaches, or leaders to make similar sacrifices. I understand many in Hawaii go to China on church business, that is very worthy and noble. HOWEVER the point which is more important? The UH football program or going on a vacation or religious pilgrimage? It is called PRIORITIES and these kids are smart, and they can identify the pretenders who just talk the talk but don't walk the walk. If you think my point sounds fanatical, how do you think navy Seals become so good at what they do? The entire Seal team from the soldiers to their leaders are fanatical with a singular purpose and that is why they excel when any other group would fail. If winning isn't everything for UH football then don't waste student and taxpayer's monies paying for a high priced coach and running the University into a multi-million dollar deficit because of athletics; just go down to NCAA division I-AA, pay coaches minimal amounts and don't worry about losing, because winning is NOT that important.
on March 30,2012 | 11:41AM
awsomeron wrote:
It will take awhile to get used to what can be said and what can't but if this Board is going to be softer then Deseret News then i am just going to want my money back. Then you can capitulate your liberal copulation.
on March 30,2012 | 01:33AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News