Quantcast
  

Saturday, April 19, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 2 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Fewer hurricanes in forecast for this season

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:40 p.m. HST, May 23, 2012

 Craig T. Kojima / ckojima@staradvertiser.com Ray Tanabe, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Central Pacific Hurricane Center, said this year's hurricane season has a 70 percent chance of producing a lower than normal number of storms.

A below-normal hurricane season is projected for the Central Pacific Basin this year.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Central Pacific Hurricane Center in Honolulu says this year's outlook calls for a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season and a 20 percent chance of above-normal season.

Forecasters expect two to four tropical cyclones, which include tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes. During an average season, there are four to five cyclones.

NOAA issued the outlook Wednesday to urge Hawaii residents to be fully prepared before the hurricane season begins on June 1. Center Director Ray Tanabe says despite two quiet seasons in a row and a forecast for a below-normal season, everyone should be prepared







 Print   Email   Comment | View 2 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(2)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Sunny wrote:
Need to still be prepared...all it takes is one to hit the islands!
on May 23,2012 | 01:55PM
Wahiawamauka wrote:
Great. my hurricane insurance will probably go down.....Yeah right!
on May 23,2012 | 05:06PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News