POSTED: 5:38 a.m. HST, Jun 23, 2012
A 47-year-old man struck by a pickup truck on H-3 freeway near Mokapu Boulevard early Friday died later in the day.
The accident shut down the Honolulu-bound lanes of H-3 for about four hours.
According to a police report, the man was driving a 1993 Buick sedan in the northbound H-3 lanes toward Marine Corps Base Hawaii at Kaneohe Bay at about 6:10 a.m. when he lost control of the vehicle, crossed the grassy median and the southbound lanes, crashing deep in a wooded area off the highway. Witnesses came to the man's aid and said he sat on a guardrail where they all waited for help to arrive.
Police said that for an unknown reason the man stood up and staggered into the southbound lanes and was struck by a white Nissan pickup truck driven by a 28-year-old man. The pickup driver stopped immediately to render aid, police said.
The victim was taken to Queen's, where he later died at 4:26 p.m., police said.
Speed, drugs and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the accident, which remains under investigation, police said.
Following the accident, police closed the Honolulu-bound lanes of H-3 at Mokapu Boulevard until about 11 a.m. During the closure, all traffic coming out of Marine Corps Base Hawaii was diverted to the H-3 West Kaneohe offramp.
It was the 28th traffic fatality so far this compared to 24 at the same time last year.