Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 9 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Hawaii Kai home damaged by fire started by smoker's material

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:


Fire Department investigators determined that an early morning fire Friday at a Hawaii Kai house was caused by unattended smoking material that ignited a mattress.

The fire was in a studio apartment attached to a three-bedroom house at 663 Kaumakani St.

Firefighters responded at 1:08 a.m. and brought it under control in 20 minutes. The fire was extinguished at 2:12 a.m.

The resident of the studio apartment was not home at the time. Two people were in the main house but were not threatened by the fire.

The fire caused moderate damage to the bedroom of the apartment, but did not spread to other parts of the apartment or to the main house, the fire department spokesman said. Damage was estimated at $15,000.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 9 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(9)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
manakuke wrote:
Residential fires are frightfully rapid!
on June 29,2012 | 06:01AM
Poipounder808 wrote:
Smoking in bed????
on June 29,2012 | 07:37AM
olos73 wrote:
I guess insurance not going pay since it was negligence.
on June 30,2012 | 08:33AM
Kuokoa wrote:
What's a studio apt doing attached to a residential home? Is it zone accordigly and permitted?
on June 29,2012 | 08:47AM
droid wrote:
Exactly! Another Gensiro Kawamoto special?!
on June 29,2012 | 10:54AM
olos73 wrote:
As long nobody say anything people try get away with things.
on June 29,2012 | 02:02PM
allie wrote:
Thank God everybody is safe
on June 29,2012 | 10:09AM
CACIERTO wrote:
It's not an apt..It's a small 1br studio attached to the house like an extension..C'mon people!!
on June 30,2012 | 06:48AM
Manapua_Man wrote:
That's why electronic smoking devices are safer and won't cause a fire.
on June 30,2012 | 02:50PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News