Quantcast

Wednesday, July 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 18 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Scientists: Proof of 'God particle' found

By John Heilprin and Seth Borenstein

Associated Press

POSTED:


GENEVA >> Scientists working at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have gathered enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly does exist.

But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Instead, experts familiar with the research at CERN's vast complex on the Swiss-French border say that the massive data they have obtained will essentially show the footprint of the key particle known as the Higgs boson — all but proving it exists — but doesn't allow them to say it has actually been glimpsed.

It appears to be a fine distinction.

Senior CERN scientists say that the two independent teams of physicists who plan to present their work at CERN's vast complex on the Swiss-French border on July 4 are about as close as you can get to a discovery without actually calling it one.

"I agree that any reasonable outside observer would say, 'It looks like a discovery,'" British theoretical physicist John Ellis, a professor at King's College London who has worked at CERN since the 1970s, told The Associated Press. "We've discovered something which is consistent with being a Higgs."

CERN's atom smasher, the $10 billion Large Hadron Collider, has been creating high-energy collisions of protons to help them understand suspected phenomena such as dark matter, antimatter and ultimately the creation of the universe billions of years ago, which many theorize occurred as a massive explosion known as the Big Bang.

For particle physicists, finding the Higgs boson is a key to confirming the standard model of physics that explains what gives mass to matter and, by extension, how the universe was formed. Each of the two teams known as ATLAS and CMS involve thousands of people working independently from one another, to ensure accuracy.

Rob Roser, who leads the search for the Higgs boson at the Fermilab in Chicago, said: "Particle physicists have a very high standard for what it takes to be a discovery," and he thinks it is a hair's breadth away.

Rosen compared the results that scientists are preparing to announce Wednesday to finding the fossilized imprint of a dinosaur: "You see the footprints and the shadow of the object, but you don't actually see it."

Though an impenetrable concept to many, the Higgs boson has until now been just that — a concept intended to explain a riddle: How were the subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons and neutrons, themselves formed? What gives them their mass?







 Print   Email   Comment | View 18 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(18)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
conserve wrote:
umm, here we go again...aren't all particles, created from God?
on July 2,2012 | 05:34AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
I don't know. Are they?
on July 2,2012 | 06:19AM
Manoa2 wrote:
What particles does God consist of? And what made those particles? We know God is physical, because he did make the physical universe, a physical Jesus, and he can affect the physical universe-- the universe which is not spiritual (rocks, planets, and animals outside of Man, are not spiritual-- they are physical and made of physical particles).
on July 2,2012 | 06:49AM
blackmurano wrote:
They could have saved those millions of dollars on researching for that "long sought God particle" by reading the Holy Bible. All "Absolute Truth" from God Almighty contained in that Holy Book.
on July 2,2012 | 06:52AM
Manoa2 wrote:
But what is God made of and how was God created-- what particles make up God the physical and God the spiritual? When God created the Physical Universe, what particles and what physical process did God use-- was it a Big Bang? Was it the Higgs bosun? We're these particles and the empty universe in existence e befor God and did God transform these particles into our physical universe? Was ther another God that made the particles that became God?
on July 2,2012 | 07:16AM
BlueDolphin53 wrote:
Quite the brain-teaser isn't it? Though this is more in the realm of philosophy, something had to be first, yet logically, nothing could be first, because something had to be before it to create it. But what was before it? And before it? And on and on. At some point, you have two options. One: you have to take it by faith (because it will be impossible to prove) that what you believe was first (and thus self existing throughout time) was self created. Whether that is a "God particle" or "God" Himself is up to you. Two: you say "my head hurts, who cares."
on July 2,2012 | 08:07AM
BillD wrote:
Is the part about subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons and neutrons in the OT or new?
on July 2,2012 | 07:18AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Look at the photo...the particle's name is "Alice"?

That's scary, hon.


on July 2,2012 | 08:44AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
Please, not so early in the morning....coffee sloshing out of the mug....the neighbors are wondering why I'm laughing all by myself.
on July 2,2012 | 09:13AM
saveparadise wrote:
Will this explain the chicken or the egg came first question?
on July 2,2012 | 08:53AM
Parksan wrote:
This is my theory; In the bible, it is written that God had no beginning. He always was. God is everywhere. And God is everything. Therefore God IS the Universe, and countless other Universes. So if you are searching for the God Particle, just open your eyes. Also, our own universe lies on a speck of dust, or some other extremely giantganteous object. We are much too small to see this with our own eyes and telescopes. And on the other side of this spectrum, we are also much too large to see the tinier universes that's everywhere around us. Just like Dr. Seus's book, Horton Hears A Who. However, our whole universe may be on a speck of dust on someone's giant shoe or something. So we are part of something larger than we can ever imagine. Infinite universes, infinitely smaller than us, and infinitely larger than us, and goes on and on without end. Each of these universes having abundance of life, perhaps like ours. Then after we die, perhaps our consciousness, (via our souls), departs into another type of universe called the Spiritual Universe. This Spiritual Universe parrallels our Physical Universe. This is why some of us are psychic enough to communicate with the departed ones who dwells in the Spiritual Universe. And there is a Heaven and a Hell in the Spiritual Universe. Like attracts Like. So it all depends on how we live our lives here on Earth, and how we treat one another that will determine where our souls ultimately end up. Or perhaps we'll enter another universe and start our lives over being re-born on another world. And perhaps this occurs for an eternity. Therefore; Which came first? The Chicken or the egg?...............only God knows.
on July 2,2012 | 11:35AM
nitpikker wrote:
chicken or the egg...if god created everything, who or what created god???
on July 2,2012 | 12:34PM
hawaiikone wrote:
You and I aren't at a level where we could even understand the explanation.
on July 2,2012 | 02:14PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
I don't even think that our very limited human brains/minds can even understand the "truth" of where God is and where He began. That can be seen in our history in the way religious zealots have killed in order to promote their beliefs. Look at the Crusades of the Medieval times and see how the Christians killed thousands upon thousands of innocent people because they believed that they were commissioned by God to do so. Then there is the more recent 911 events and their aftermath in which religious militants killed thousands in order to do the will of their god. I believe that we cannot fully understand the "truth" as we like to call it. Instead we come up with our answers such as condemning others because of THEIR religious beliefs or sexual orientation. One book that pretty much conceptualizes the search for the "truth" is found in the book, Conversations with God, by Neale Donald Walsch. If you come to it with the idea of trying to understand what we are dealing with then you will come away blown away by the concepts. This book is available at your public libraries and has a series of other books that continue the concept. After having read this book I have felt an enlightenment that no religious book has given me. And that includes the Bible. God speaks to us. We just have to "listen". Those in power will want you to not "believe" that He speaks to us. For they want you to "believe" that they are the only source of truth. That is what gives them their power. I am not perfect. No one is. Especially those who claim to be. God is perfect. He will let you know what you can understand. But the "truth" cannot be fully conceptualized by the human conscious. It can only be fully understood on that day when you reunite with Him. For at that time you will not be limited by your human mind.
on July 2,2012 | 02:34PM
Parksan wrote:
I agree with you. Modern Man has been walking on earth for only around 250,000 years. Not enough time for us to evolve out of that primitive state. Thoughout history, we have been barbaric, colonialist, terriotorialist, and just plain wild. All the wars and conflicts throughout history shows that. And today, we are still the same. Although our technology has grown very fast, our wisdom has been left way behind, and we are on the brink of destroying ourselves. To avoid this, I believe that we must FORCE ourselves to evolve to a higher state. To do this, we must all have an open mind. As long as it doesn't hurt others, let people be and believe what they want. Let there be same sex marriages. Let there be different religious beliefs. Let there be different beliefs of the Universe. Let there be different beliefs of who God is, or if there is a God or not. Let there be different customs and traditions. Let us cherish all these differences. For all the differences in this world, they can create beauty and harmony, if we let it. Or they can create sadness, conflicts, and bloodsheds, if we avoid it. The choice is ours and ours alone. We are all responsible for the survival of our race, and this world. So let us live in peace with one another, and our world. Who is God?...........to me, God is Love.
on July 2,2012 | 06:01PM
kauai wrote:
The sad thing is, we (USA) should have been on the forefront of this discovery/project. The proposed Super Conducting Super Collider back in the 1990's was cancelled by our short-sighted policies (read, politicians). This country of ours has got to get our stuff together in the science and technology field ASAP, else the rest of the world is going to continue to pass us by. Guess we need another "Sputnik moment" to shake us to our senses. Then on the other hand, will the people really care or even recognize that "moment"?
on July 2,2012 | 04:58PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
We invented the spam musubi. 'Nuff said.
on July 2,2012 | 05:56PM
IAmSane wrote:
I DON'T NEED NO SCIENCE BECAUSE JESUS JESUS JESUS HARP DARP
on July 5,2012 | 12:52AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News