POSTED: 10:03 p.m. HST, Jul 03, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 01:22 a.m. HST, Jul 04, 2012
One man was injured Tuesday in an apparent gas explosion aboard a 25-foot rigid-hull inflatable boat at Honokohau Harbor on Hawaii island.
Firefighters said gasoline fumes below deck of the Zodiac boat owned by Sea Hawaii Rafting ignited while the vessel was being launched for commercial use about 6:25 p.m.
The owner, deckhands and bystanders used portable fire extinguishers to extinguish the fire.
When firefighters arrived, they found the vessel on its trailer with its floorboards open and dry fire extinguisher chemical covering the boat interior.
Firefighters took one man was taken to Kona Community Hospital in good condition. He had a cut on his head and singed hairs on his arms and face.
Damage was estimated at $3,000.