POSTED: 11:35 a.m. HST, Jul 10, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 11:36 a.m. HST, Jul 10, 2012
After searching for five days, the Hawaii County Fire Department suspended its efforts today to find a 15-year-old New York teenager who was swept out to sea.
Tyler Madoff, 15, went missing when a wave swept him into the ocean July 4 while he was on a hike with tour company, Bold Earth Adventures.
Hawaii County Fire Department acting Battalion Chief Charles Spain said that normal procedure is to search for three days.
“We extended the search two additional days at the family’s request,” Spain.
However five days of searching failed to turn up any traces of the missing boy.
Spain said when the search began last week “the surf was so bad that we were unable to get close to shore.”
He said conditions improved on Monday and divers were able to search underwater caves.
Madoff was on a kayaking expedition on the west coast with a tour group. They were hiking near the Captain Cook monument at Kealakekua Bay when they stopped to rest at a tide pool, authorities said. That's when large waves washed away Madoff and another 15-year-old boy who is recuperating at a Honolulu hospital.
The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for the boy on Thursday.