Quantcast

Saturday, July 26, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

$200,000 Kahala house fire caused by oil-soaked rags left by workers

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:



Honolulu firefighters determined today a fire that damaged a new house in Kahala on Thursday was caused by oil-soaked rags that workers had left on the roof.

Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig said the rags were soaked with linseed oil, which heated up in the oxidization process and caused a fire that spread rapidly over the freshly oiled, wood-shingled roof.

The fire burned through a wall and into the living room of the single-story home at 4727 Aukai Ave., causing $200,000 in damage. Firefighters quickly brought the 3:47 p.m. fire under control, but the roof was already significantly damaged.

Seelig suggested those working with drying oils — such as poppy seed oil, tung oil, and walnut oil — lay the oil-soaked rags out flat to dry on a non-flammable surface outside or hanging them on a laundry line, taking care not to bunch them up. Once the rags have dried out, they can be thrown away.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(3)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
iwanaknow wrote:
So.................terrorist could use this trick to start a fire?
on July 14,2012 | 10:33AM
niimi wrote:
The same can happen by soaking 4 or 5 tubes of Super Glue into a cotton ball--spontaneous combustion source.
on July 14,2012 | 11:07AM
Anonymous wrote:
Uh-oh! Wasn't me, was YOU!
on July 14,2012 | 01:12PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War

Political Radar
Climate change

Island Crafters
YouCanMakeThis.com

Warrior Beat
Empty pit

Political Radar
Switch

Political Radar
`Progressive hero’