Quantcast
  

Sunday, April 20, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 67 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Re-striping project will add fourth lane on busy corridor of H-1

By Gregg K. Kakesako

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 03:07 a.m. HST, Jul 17, 2012



In an attempt to break the logjam on the H-1 through Makiki, workers will re-stripe parts of the freeway to create a fourth lane in each direction.

The $200,000 project began Monday night and is expected to be completed before classes open at private schools and the University of Hawaii in late August. Public schools reopen at the end of this month.

The re-striping work will be done only at night and is expected to be completed by the first week of August, weather permitting, said Caroline Sluyter, state Transportation Department spokes­woman.

Sluyter said the state will re-stripe the freeway lanes in the Ewa-bound direction between Punahou Street and Pali Highway (1.4 miles) and Koko Head-bound between Ward Avenue and Keeaumoku Street (0.7 miles). 

The three existing through lanes will be narrowed to 10 feet from 12 to create a fourth lane.

Sluyter said the work will be done from 10 p.m. Fridays until 6 a.m. Saturdays, 10 p.m. Saturdays to 6 a.m. Sundays, and 9 p.m. until 4 a.m. on other days of the week. Two lanes will be closed in each direction to complete shoulder and re-striping work. 

State transportation planners estimate that on average 148,700 cars per day travel through that corridor near the Luna­lilo onramp.

Westbound traffic entering the freeway at Luna­lilo runs into traffic leaving the freeway at Vineyard, often creating a logjam because few drivers leave enough space in front of them for a smooth lane swap.

The state rejected a concrete “flyover” ramp for cars leaving the freeway at Vineyard as advocated by area legislators and some residents. Sluyter has said a 2010 study estimated that it would cost $85 million to build a flyover ramp.

“This is a low-cost solution to increase the capacity in the corridor that can be implemented quickly,” she said.

Currently, to reduce the backup, traffic barriers are put up to prevent cars from entering the freeway at Luna­lilo Street during the morning rush hour. Those diverted cars instead enter the freeway via the Pali onramp.

The barriers at the Luna­lilo onramp would be phased out after the fourth lane is added.

The speed limit also will be lowered to 45 mph, the department added. 






More From The Star-Advertiser

State adds narrower H-1 lanes to ease traffic




 Print   Email   Comment | View 67 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(67)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
CarolA wrote:
Part of the problem is that there are just too many entrances to the freeway in this stretch. It is common sense that merging is what slows down the traffic. It seems there is a new entrance every couple of blocks, This is also true, by the way, in the University area.
on July 16,2012 | 09:58AM
busterb wrote:
I don't understand what you're getting at. Are you actually trying to apply logic to H-1? THey didn't use it to design it, why apply it now? You have to remember that there used to be a off-ramp at Alexander (Punahou) and an on-ramp between the Piikoi on-ramp and the Punahou St. off. Can you say 5 ramps in about 1/2 a mile? How about the Bingham off ramp that sends 50mph cars down those poor folks side street.
on July 16,2012 | 10:12AM
allie wrote:
True..the freeway was poorly designed from the start
on July 16,2012 | 12:30PM
EducatedLocalBoy wrote:
You know nothing of it and yet you make comments. The old makai side Makiki St. on ramp, which was between the Punahou off ramp and the Piikoi St. on ramp was there because the freeway started there back in the 50s. The original freeway was really a 2 lane highway that started from that Makiki St. on ramp and ended at the Waialae Ave. off ramp by the Humane Society. Those days, Dapiolani Blvd. didn't go up thatfar. It wasn't until the 60s that Kapiolani Blvd. was extended to connect to Waialae Blvd. Going Ewa, the freeway started at the Waialae Ave. on ramp which is next to the Diamond Head entrance to the UH Quarry, and ended at the Lunalilo St. off ramp. It was called the Lunalilo Freeway in those days. As originally planned, it made sense. It's just as they expanded it the on ramps and off ramps became obsolete. The only area where there was poor planning is where the freeway has that dangerous curve around Red Hill. That curve was not originally planned. Rather, the plan was to condemn the land atop Red Hill where Sam Damon's home is. But, good old Banana Republic Republican Party politics stepped in and the fix was put in and Neal Blaisdell, the Republican Mayor obediently followed orders and jeopardized public safety to preserve the home of the co-owner of First Hawaiian Bank.
on July 16,2012 | 02:19PM
false wrote:
False2: I think the Lunalilo Freeway was also called the Maika Arterial.
on July 16,2012 | 03:25PM
false wrote:
Sorry, Mauka Arterial.
on July 16,2012 | 04:36PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
It is now called The Queen Liliuokalani Freeway, as denoted on The H-1 after the Middle Street, going West Bound.
on July 16,2012 | 07:37PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Well i guess u r educated, because u let ur secretary do ur editing for u. btw Kapiolani, not Dapiolani, and the D and the K are on opposite sides of the standard QWERTY keyboard, however i excuse u as u must be in your seventies, or eighties for that matter.
on July 16,2012 | 09:44PM
Kokoy wrote:
Be nicer. Thank you.
on July 17,2012 | 12:54AM
toomuchpilikia wrote:
So...the Republicans screwed up the freeway 46 years ago, Is that what happen? And the Democrats have had plenty of time to fix our transportation problems but I guess they need more time. How much more time do they need? The Democrats have had control of the State since the 60's. And let's not count Lingle as she had to deal with an overriding majority in the House and Senate every single time! You know...I think it's Bush's fault!
on July 17,2012 | 03:59AM
aomohoa wrote:
I guess you learned a little lesson on what you don't really know and assumed. Your not a local and you aren't old enough to know. You might learn something from someone like EducatedLocalBoy.
on July 16,2012 | 04:20PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
allie is about 18 or 19 years old, according to what she tells us.
on July 16,2012 | 07:38PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
The older design was from either the 1950s or the 1960s, when the clover leaf was not either an option, because of the narrow downtown Honolulu corridor, or because they did not think Honolulu would grow to as much as it has until now. Those were the days when "we neva have dat many peeepol." Thank goodness that many that go to Punahou and Iolani also now make their homes on the mainland. Go drive in the San Francisco area and u see the same type of the outdated on ramp off ramp conditions, and the newly designed freeways that go over the older freeways. Speaking of which, maybe we need a viaduct freeway that goes over the H-1 from Middle Street to Kahala Mall and have it called the H-4. Daniel Inouye, please come through for us, before u retire. We need an H-4. We need an H-4. We need an H-4. We need an H-4. We need an H-4. We need an H-4.
on July 16,2012 | 05:42PM
connie wrote:
Lanes are too narrow. You're going to make them more narrow. You know, like those "compact only" parking stalls and those who think their giant trucks and SUVs are "compact."
on July 16,2012 | 10:12AM
gth wrote:
You got it right. Accident"s" waiting to happen!
on July 16,2012 | 10:43AM
EducatedLocalBoy wrote:
I agree. The planners stated that for the big rig 18 wheeler trucks the space between the truck bed and the car in the next lane will be 18 inches, that's right 18 inches, even around the curve going Ewa past the Vineyard Blvd. off ramp. This re-striping is a personal injury lawyer's dream.
on July 16,2012 | 02:25PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
What goes around, comes around. Those personal injury lawyers must be getting ready for a lot of "claims", lol.
on July 16,2012 | 05:52PM
Willieboy wrote:
Yup you should take pictures of how much scuff marks already get on the barriers in that curve and how much more going get after they narrow down the lanes
on July 16,2012 | 10:43PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Many of us will see what will happen. The True Test of it is in the fast lanes of the H-1 in those corridors. With these new four lanes, one probably could not go more than 45MPH at the max, maybe not even 40MPH. During rush hours, in the afternoon going Diamond Head bound, the speed in the fast lane after the Ward Street overpass goes from 5MPH, to 10MPH, to 15MPH (at the Punahou Street offramp) to 35MPH from Punahou Street until University Avenue, then 45MPH and 50MPH up until Ainakoa Avenue. We will see how that will improve. Probably not much, if at all. The culprits are those that attempt to circumvent the situation by crossing over from the fast lane to the Punahou Street exit, causing cars to slow down, to allow for the unadvisable lane changing, lol.
on July 16,2012 | 07:44PM
1local wrote:
where do stalled cars go? where is the emergency lane? where do cars go to pull over when an emergency vehicle needs to pass?
on July 16,2012 | 10:51AM
kauai wrote:
where do stalled cars go? Over to the extreme left or right of the freeway, if they can make there. where is the emergency lane? On the extreme left or right of the freeway; but it'll be real narrow. where do cars go to pull over when an emergency vehicle needs to pass? Over to the extreme left or right of the freeway, if possible (good luck).
on July 16,2012 | 11:14AM
EducatedLocalBoy wrote:
The answer is: "nowhere." The flawed theory is that with the current 3 lanes, traffic is so slow just to accommodate those "unusual" occurrences that by making 4 lanes the traffic will flow faster, and when those "unusual" occurrences happen, it will be no worse than the current situation. I'd hate to be the person in the ambulance having a medical emergency who is the "unusual" occurrence that is being blocked from getting to the hospital because there is nowhere to pull over.
on July 16,2012 | 02:31PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
H-4. The State did it by building a viaduct (an elevated freeway) over Nimitz Highway adjacent to the airport, so the State can do it over the H-1, especially from Middle Street to Ainakoa Avenue. I am old enough to know the time when there was no H-1 over the Nimitz Highway. I am young enough, however not to know when there was No H-1, and there was just the Old Waialae Avenue. Construction Jobs, Construction Jobs, Construction Jobs. What are you waiting for Neil? Until the City (and hence The State) becomes bankrupt with TheMufiRail, so that we cannot do anything more, including more deterioration of our Public School System? The web we all weave, LOL.
on July 16,2012 | 06:07PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
The H-4 can be like an extension of Kalani'ana'ole Highway, which will have few exits, except maybe at Punchbowl Street in downtown and at Middle Street, so that the older H-1 below can be for only local downtown Honolulu traffic for the geezers (lol) that want to Holoholo at Don Quixote. Maybe even make the H-4 a toll freeway, like they have in many mainland cities. Just a nominal fee, like maybe $1 each way. Cheap. u got to pay $5 to use The Golden Gate Bridge to go north of San Francisco.
on July 16,2012 | 06:17PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Yes it will make it even much more difficult for an ambulance to go from Middle Street to Punchbowl Street (the exit for The Queen's Medical Center) or to the Punahou Street exit (for The Kapiolani Medical Center), due to the sardine packing of the freeway. I guess those driving the ambulances need to know that. I once seen two women from an ambulance and I asked them, (they were taking a breakfast break at McDonald's) "Is it unusual for two women to be in the same ambulance at the same time," and they said no, and they also said 40% of the paramedics were women, nowadays.
on July 16,2012 | 08:56PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
The stalled cars just tied up one of the three lanes of the H-1, so they will just now tie up one of the four lanes, unless they try to make a "statement" and tie up two of the four lanes, or worse yet, get into a really big chain accident that ties up ALL the lanes. I know Chief Kealoha that u r doing the best u can, however I would like to ask u this: With so many traffic officers (the ones with the arrow patches) on the scene, why could they not help traffic flow by guiding traffic, instead of letting the drivers fend for themselves, especially when say three lanes of the H-1 get drawn down to only one lane, and we a have a miserable parking lot on the freeway. I mean, it is great to let us all watch u guys doing your HPD duties, however would it not be preferable to have your officers help the traffic flow faster by guiding the traffic, instead of letting us fend for ourselves?
on July 16,2012 | 05:58PM
Manoa2 wrote:
This is a great idea-- but it came from Panos Prevedorous the traffic engineer who ran for Mayor as one of the ways to avoid the rail transit system. It is a common sense way to add capacity to the Highway. This has been done elsewhere and it works well-- it reduces accidents, because the narrower lanes make people more attentive and it reduces speeding.
on July 16,2012 | 11:31AM
copperwire9 wrote:
Sorry to disagree with you Manoa. But this is a disaster in the making. Eighteen inches between 18-wheelers? Auwe!
on July 16,2012 | 05:51PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
lol, and especially after u hijack some of the copper wires from the H-1 lights, lol.
on July 16,2012 | 06:21PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Maybe u r Panos? u r in Manoa?
on July 16,2012 | 06:10PM
primo65 wrote:
I agree. Ten feet sounds pretty narrow especially if you are next to a bus or big rig. Definitely going to increase that sphincter tone when driving at high speeds beside heavies. Even with 11.5 foot wide lanes, I always notice drivers who cant stay within their lanes going around the curve just before the west bound Pali off ramp. People also tend to slow down and bleed off too much ground speed going around the bend causing a backlog. It will probably get worse but what else can we do with all the budget shortfalls. Also, elimination of the shoulder lanes should give all of us incentive to maintain our vehicles. I wouldn't want to get stalled in the "fast" lane (perhaps a misnomer here since I always seem to get stuck behind slow moving cars who refuse to drive in the slower lanes). I used to hate my OEM run-flat tires because of the high replacement cost and stiffer sidewalls, but I guess now I like them.
on July 16,2012 | 05:49PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Lol, yeah just like some of those parking lots that have narrow striped parking stalls, such as at The Kapolei Entertainment Center and at the same level as Barnes and Noble at the Kahala Mall. Also, what will happen is that the speed limit will need to be reduced to say 45 MPH in those narrow lanes area between Punahou Street and Pali Highway and have added solid lines, because of the need to control the speed freaks. The big wide trucks will have difficulty passing through there, and also, WILL TheBus BE ABLE TO NEGOTIATE THOSE NARROW LANES???
on July 16,2012 | 05:50PM
sailfish1 wrote:
Making the lanes narrower is a big mistake. More accidents will occur. Do we really have intelligent people working for our state and city governments????
on July 16,2012 | 10:57AM
kauai wrote:
No, we don't have intelligent people working in our state and city governments. Obviously, we don't have intelligent people working in the federal government either, because the fed trans dept had to approve the state's plan to narrow the lanes and add another. I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is a hair-brained idea. I no longer have faith in the city, state or fed trans depts. Idiots...
on July 16,2012 | 11:06AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
No however we do need people working in the government to approve of projects that will be contracted out to our private practice Engineers, Architects, Construction Employees (i hate to call people workers), and such.
on July 16,2012 | 06:22PM
Manoa2 wrote:
Several traffic engineers and those opposed to the rail have been suggesting this based on experience from other areas-- where it has been done there are fewer accidents because people pay attention more and because the traffic naturally slows. A 10 foot lane can accommodate trucks and the largest cars. Cars are now smaller and getting even smaller-- even SUV's-- going from 12 foot to 10 foot lanes works fine and adds to the capacity of the highway. Go ask a traffic engineer or the stop rail people who can show you examples of how it works.
on July 17,2012 | 12:51AM
sailfish1 wrote:
"the traffic naturally slows" If they add more lanes by narrowing the lanes and the traffic "naturally" slows then what benefit is that? Will the number of vehicles passing per time be the same? I also doubt that the trucks and buses are any smaller. What about shoulders if a vehicle has a problem? What about drivers who get nervous when big trucks get too close? Well, we shall see soon enough.
on July 17,2012 | 10:42AM
rayhawaii wrote:
Make a 5th lane for Smart Cars, Mini Coopers and all other cars in that size range.
on July 16,2012 | 10:59AM
kauai wrote:
Aw, heck; while you're at it, add a 6th lane for motorcyles/mopeds/bicycles to use too. Oh, and don't forget that two-wheeled, stand-up device too (can't remember off-hand the formal name of that thing).
on July 16,2012 | 11:10AM
aomohoa wrote:
Not a bad idea. I lane for compact cars, which we should be buying more. Too many people here drive big trucks that they don't even need for business.
on July 16,2012 | 04:23PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
ha ha ha ha ha. Well I hope u have enough Automobile Insurance.
on July 16,2012 | 06:23PM
SueH wrote:
Ever heard of "10 lbs. of s---t in a 5 lb. bucket??? Same traffic volume, now just crammed-in to smaller lanes. The basic problem: THE ROAD JUST PLAIN CAN'T HANDLE THE VOLUME!! Why don't we just legalize passing on the shoulder??
on July 16,2012 | 01:11PM
EducatedLocalBoy wrote:
SueH you are right. The real answer is to thin out the traffic by staggering work hours and school hours to extend the business day. Some young bright urban planner proposed this 25 yrs. ago by proposing that government employees be order to stagger their work hours and the idea was shot down because they complained that since schools started at 8:00 a.m. anyway making them start work later wouldn't solve the problem. the answer is make the schools stark later. As for the UH, make the classes start later and end later, say at 6:00 p.m. And if the professors like Panos complain, tough cookies. They are only on campus to teach 15 class hours a week and get full time pay so making them show up late in the afternoon for those 15 hrs. is fair.
on July 16,2012 | 02:45PM
false wrote:
False2: Cure may be worse than the disease.
on July 16,2012 | 03:26PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Yes. Well we shall see. If there are more accidents than normal from drivers attempting to go from the fourth lane to the Pali Highway Exit, for example, then The State will have learned its lesson.
on July 16,2012 | 06:24PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Lesson learned. If one gets stuck in the lane that they are not supposed to be in, please do not attempt to go across the ENTIRE FREEWAY, just to get to your exit, especially if there are SOLID LINES there, because the extra gasoline that u will use will be much CHEAPER than the increased premium on your CAR INSURANCE, if u do not get a SR-21, such that u cannot drive for awhile. Just go to the next exit and drive like THE RAIN MAN, you know like when Dustin Hoffman stops in the middle of the street when the crosswalking signal goes to DO NOT WALK ??? Just follow the instructions of the roads and if u happen to miss an exit, just safely get off on the next exit, and NO CHANCE 'UM !!!!
on July 16,2012 | 06:28PM
Willieboy wrote:
'Cause there ain't any more shoulders to pass in....in fact there will be only like two feet of shoulder in this area now.
on July 16,2012 | 10:34PM
kamau wrote:
i support this idea. It makes more sense to try these kinds of solutions before spending billions even money that we dont have on rail.
on July 16,2012 | 01:19PM
chief wrote:
Who comes up with these ideas?!!! How are the busses and semis going to navigate this, they have a hard time staying in their lanes now. Whoever gets into the first accident that this causes should sue the idiot who came up with this.
on July 16,2012 | 02:19PM
busthalfnut wrote:
Cancel the raid. Obtrusive, ugly, loud, expensive, and will cost a fortune to build and a fortune to maintain. Rail won't take a single care off the road.
on July 16,2012 | 02:20PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Raid? Yes that also, unless u mean the can that is for ants, roaches, and others.
on July 16,2012 | 06:31PM
SandBar wrote:
Worth a try. Minimal cost (unlike rail)...unless it causes accidents. Large trucks should be banned from the left-most lanes.
on July 16,2012 | 04:00PM
Taisho808 wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on July 16,2012 | 04:09PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Better yet, reduce the H-1 to two lanes, lol.
on July 16,2012 | 06:31PM
niimi wrote:
Speed limits will need to be reduced in that entire stretch where the lanes are narrowed down from 50 mph to 45 mph. That makes it more of an expressway speed than a freeway speed.
on July 16,2012 | 04:32PM
roughrider wrote:
Since the state didn't solicit public input before railroading this plan, I hope it does so afterward. Let's see $200,000 to re-stripe. Another $200,000 to restore it back to three lanes. Four lanes … an accident waiting to happen. Can't do anything now. Let's see how this works. I, for one, won't be looking forward to driving that stretch of the freeway. If there's anything positive, traffic will definitely come to a slow down in the area.
on July 16,2012 | 05:03PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
I think The State did ask for public input. Only that Neil was smoking weed, so we did not understand his "pakalolo" language.
on July 16,2012 | 06:32PM
soundofreason wrote:
Maybe a couple more projects like this is ALL we need - paid for by the feds at EIGHTY percent instead of begging for their pittance contribution to rail. Put the COSTS to the FEDERAL parties responsible for the faulty DESIGN instead of shifting it to CITY taxpayer dollars.
on July 16,2012 | 10:46PM
Ambergris23 wrote:
Still, it beats rail. I don't think even 95% of the population will use the rail that will cost billions. Probably (and I'm guessing here), 95% will use the additional lanes when finished.
on July 16,2012 | 10:54PM
soundofreason wrote:
Exactly
on July 16,2012 | 11:19PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
The reason for parking lot conditions on any freeway(and specifically the H-1 in the downtown corridor) are as follows: (A) Bottlenecks, whether manmade or natural (B) Too many automobiles and/or (C) Elderly Drivers. Let us go over each of these.

(A) Bottlenecks: Manmade bottlenecks are like those at the Punahou Street exit and natural bottlenecks are when we have an accident. The manmade bottleneck at the eastbound Punahou Street exit can be solved by closing the Piikoi Street entrance to the H-1 from below and widening the H-1 from three to four lanes (Engineers would love to work on that type of a project). Natural bottlenecks are caused by careless (not reckless) drivers that attempt to go from one extreme to the other, such as crossing from the fast lane to the Punahou Street exit, crossing two lanes that are demarked with solid lines.

(B) Too many automobiles: Some that live in East Oahu can lesson the traffic by taking TheBus (if they desire to, or if they dare to). Too many people from East Oahu (including Waimanalo) work either in Downtown or Pearl Harbor. Why not move to West Oahu, to lesson the traffic on the H-1 coming into town from East Oahu, or move into Downtown itself (such as Makiki)?

(C) Elderly Drivers. It is great to go the speed limit, however the bottleneck at the Punahou Street exit is primarily caused by the traffic light that lets drivers off the Punahou Street exit onto Punahou Street being too short on the green side, making the speed on the H-1 itself a traumatic 5 MPH lol.

Elderly Drivers would go on the H-1 just to have the experience of driving on the freeway, when they could just as well take King Street, then turn mauka onto Punahou Street to go home. Those that go holoholo to Don Quixote for example.

This is where if Neil makes it a law to disallow drivers beyond like maybe 70 years old to have a driver's license, a lot of help to remove some of the congestion on the H-1 would occur.

I mean what kind of a trip is it to drive from Middle Street to Punahou Street on the H-1 and stay on the right hand lane all the way to get off the Punahou Street exit, when at least 65% of the traffic at the Punahou Street offramp goes beyond Punahou Street, onwards towards East Oahu?

Uncle Neil, please get off your pakalolo, lol.


on July 16,2012 | 07:22PM
soundofreason wrote:
All of these worries about stalled cars. Manage for "the norm"- NOT the exceptions TO the norm. The norm is that there is very rarely stalled cars. The norm is that there usually is not.
on July 16,2012 | 10:32PM
soundofreason wrote:
" Sluyter has said a 2010 study estimated that it would cost $85 million to build a flyover ramp.">>> Then build a 39 million dollar flyover like these people did. Maybe they pay their union people less so it doesn't cost so much. "http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-04-09/news/fl-dixie-highway-flyover-opens-20120406_1_flyover-dixie-highway-bridge-hillsboro-canal"
on July 16,2012 | 10:41PM
soundofreason wrote:
Maybe a couple more projects like this is ALL we need - paid for by the feds at EIGHTY percent instead of begging for their pittance contribution to rail. Put the COSTS to the FEDERAL parties responsible for the faulty DESIGN instead of shifting it to CITY taxpayer dollars.
on July 16,2012 | 10:45PM
kahaluu96744 wrote:
It's worth a try; low cost, fast implementation. The kokohead traffic gets jammed up from Middle Street to Punahou Street and then it opens up. Having a fourth lane for through traffic means fewer vehicles in the other three lanes. Buses and large trucks should be in the right lane anyway. Even with a lowered speed limit to 45 mph, it's really 10-15 mph in rush hour!
on July 16,2012 | 11:05PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Recommendations of Panos Prevederous to provide some traffic relief seems to be showing up. The BOS (Bus Only Shoulder) is another suggestion from Panos that may provide bus riders a swift and fast commute to and from Honolulu. Faster than what rail can ever accomplish.
on July 16,2012 | 11:13PM
starkr wrote:
If you can close the Vineyard on ramps in the mornings, why can't you close the Vineyard on ramps east bound in the afternoons? Why does morning traffic get more preference over afternoon traffic? How is rail going to lesson this traffic??? Kill Imua rail as it only benefits some and that is arguable at best (no decrease in traffic is expected). Rail is not the answer for all of Oahu. Rail tax should only affect those in the area affected by rail. I live on the east side so why do I have to pay for it when I will see no benefits? Rail has not been though out thoroughly and is only supported by greedy democrats who want federal money.
on July 17,2012 | 12:07AM
sailfish1 wrote:
I don't think that this is a good idea. However, by chance that it works, then why not do this for all the streets and highways on Oahu and we won't need the Rail.
on July 17,2012 | 10:54AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News