Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 104 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Republicans slam Reid as a liar over claims on Romney's taxes

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:59 a.m. HST, Aug 05, 2012


WASHINGTON >> Top Republicans today accused the Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of lying by passing along an anonymous claim that GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney hasn’t paid taxes for 10 years.

Republican Party chairman Reince Priebus called Reid a “dirty liar.” Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said, “I think he’s lying about his statement of knowing something about Romney” and he contended Reid was “making things up to divert the campaign away from the real issues.”

Reid’s spokesman, Adam Jentleson, contended that Republicans were trying to cover up for Romney and the aide repeated the Nevada senator’s claims that the source about Romney’s taxes is “credible.” Other Democrats said Romney could clear up any confusion about his taxes by disclosing them to the public, and the issue was a main talking point on the Sunday news shows.

Reid said last week he had learned of the claim about Romney’s taxes from an investor in Romney’s former firm, Bain Capital. But the lawmaker hasn’t offered any evidence to back it up and even has said he’s not sure it’s true.

Romney, who has disclosed that he’s worth as much as $250 million, has said Reid’s claim is not true and that he’s paid “a lot of taxes.”

Romney’s 2010 federal tax return shows he paid 13.9 percent tax on income of $21.6 million. Most of Romney’s income came from investment gains, which are taxed at a lower rate than earned income.

The candidate has refused to release more than one year of personal tax returns, despite calls from Democrats and some Republicans to do so, saying his critics would distort the information and use it against him. He has promised to release a second year of returns.

Democrats have tried to make Romney’s personal wealth and how he’s managed it a key issue in the presidential contest. The former Massachusetts governor, who would be among the richest presidents ever elected, is aggressively competing with President Barack Obama for the support of middle-class voters.

Democrats pressed Romney to providing more tax information.

“He could clear it up just like that, lickety-split, by releasing his tax returns, which every major candidate for president of the United States has done except for Mitt Romney,” said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, who heads the Democratic National Committee.

Jentleson, Reid’s spokesman, said in an email that “it’s clear Mitt Romney is hiding something, and the only way for him to clear this up is to be straight with the American people and release his tax returns.”

Graham appeared on CNN’s “State of the Union,” while Priebus and Wasserman Schultz were on “This Week” on ABC.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 104 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(104)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Malani wrote:
If Romney didn't pay his taxes, think at this point the IRS would turn the other check? Further, the only reason anyone want to SEE if he paid his IRS is because they want to see how much he earned. Cheap shot.
on August 5,2012 | 07:09AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
I think he pays taxes, but perhaps less than you and I pay.
on August 5,2012 | 07:32AM
kainalu wrote:
Raise your hand if you have any "off shore" accounts? ... I didn't think so. And the purpose for having off shore accounts? I rest my case.
on August 5,2012 | 07:54AM
Pacej001 wrote:
The purpose of a Swiss bank account would be to invest in the currency of a country with sounder monetary policies (appreciating currency value) than our own currency. Anyone with cash, small investors included, and interest in protecting their savings from the Obama administration and Fed's rush to devalue the dollar could do that. Wish I had done it. The Swiss currency has been a rock in the flood of stupidity in Europe and the US. However, you imply some sort of wrong doing by Romney, or I guess anyone, doing such. If he illegally avoided taxes, where is the evidence. Sounds like he didn't given the bank account was on a US tax return. So, you are resting your case on an assumption of guilt, not fact. I don't remember a similar issue raised during democrat Kerry's campaign. Odds are that his investments are as international as Romney's. Bottom line: With nothing but a record of economic failure, no national budget in three years, and no plan to control entitlement and other spending, the Obama campaign and Harry Reids disgusting lies represent the desperation of the democrats to reelect a failed, incompetent president at all costs.
on August 5,2012 | 08:41AM
kainalu wrote:
“Off shore accounts” mean exactly that - located outside the country of residence of the depositor. More importantly, they are used typically as a tax haven. If you don’t recognize that, there’s no need to read further. Advantages include low or no taxation, easy access to deposits (deregulation), privacy, and protection from local, political, or financial instability. Not necessarily saying it’s a bad thing, but it is an exclusive members-only club. Furthermore, its an investment in the banking system, otherwise the economy of the host country, versus supporting ours.
on August 5,2012 | 10:10AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Logic: how do we know about Romney's "offshore accounts"? They were disclosed in tax returns provided to the IRS. Do tax cheats provide information testifying to their tax cheating to the IRS in their tax returns? No. So what we will see, if we see more Romney tax returns, will be the details of Romney's legal financial activity for which he has paid taxes, period. That's it. Maybe we'll see that Romney's blind trust have fully used US tax law to protect/shelter income, sort of like you do with your mortgage interest and other deductions, but that's about all. Bottom line is that this flap over his returns is pretty much all about nothing, the democrats just going for any bit of Romney's past to use against him.
on August 5,2012 | 01:30PM
tinapa wrote:
Mitt Romney has been milking the system for many years. However, because of pressure from the US government, the Swiss banks have agreed to relax their reporting policies and agreed to provide the US government more information about their client's information. The US reciprocated by declaring a "tax amnesty program". This gave cover to Mitt Romney's declaration of his secretive financial dealings and disclosed it in his 2010 income tax returns. You see Romney's did not voluntarly disclosed this information. Without this amnesty, Romney would have continued his scheme of "tax avoidance".
on August 5,2012 | 04:19PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Tinipia: Are you milking the system when you take a tax deduction for your mortgage interest, children? Re the Swiss banking comment. No one has said that Romney's account there was revealed by any other means than his 2010 tax return. You make it sound like Romney was trying to hide the account and was discovered by this new openness in the Swiss banking system. Didn't happen. And once again. There is nothing secretive about financial dealings reported straight up in a tax return sent to the IRS. If you have proof that Romney had hidden accounts and was forced to report them, how about citing a reference, otherwise you just have supposition.
on August 5,2012 | 04:59PM
localgirl2 wrote:
Oh what the heck are you talking about . Why in the heck should the US be allowed to tax you if you have a bit of money you've acquired abroad (legally!). They get the first cut of anything you earn in the US. If some of that (already taxed) is used overseas, the so be it. It's yours, it's been taxed in the US already hasn't it? A bit somewhere else (as a fall back) should be none of their business. That is why Big Govt. is bad for everyone.
on August 5,2012 | 09:28PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Thank you for explaining that to kainalu. I and others have raised hands.
on August 5,2012 | 10:32AM
OldDiver wrote:
That Mitt is a real American. He evades the draft by going on a mission to France where he lives in a castle with a cook and maid. Then he hides money in Swiss and Cayman Island bank accounts to evade paying taxes in his home country. Mitt is a true patriot.
on August 5,2012 | 10:40AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Pathetic. You and Harry Reid are like peas in a pod, accusing Romney of a felony with out proof or fact.
on August 5,2012 | 05:01PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Pace,you know a lot about Rmoney. Why don't you release his tax returns.
on August 5,2012 | 08:37PM
localgirl2 wrote:
Sure is, just like our wonderful friend in the White House. The guy who has never been in the military either. Fair is fair isn't it? Why do those who don't have it, always get angry when someone does have it. Some earn it, some gain it by death of a family member (who have already paid taxes on it!) but those that don't either work hard or have someone die and leave it to them are envious. We are all created equal no matter our color. Some have more ambition, some have more smarts, and some are in the right place at the right time. That is life.
on August 5,2012 | 09:33PM
OldDiver wrote:
Sorry Pace....Swiss bank accounts don't pay interest. Depositers must pay the Swiss banks for the privilege of hiding their money to evade paying taxes.
on August 5,2012 | 08:53AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Grab a dictionary and look up "currency appreciation". There's a whole thing called a "market" for currencies out there. A couple of years ago there was plenty of buzz about Americans anticipating the Euro/dollar mess by owning Swiss Francs. Having an account in Switzerland is one way to do it, and Romney evidently disclosed that account in his tax return, or you wouldn't know about it, and paid taxes on it. But facts to don't matter, do they. The objective is to bury Romney in trivia in order to hide Obama's serial incompetencies and failures and steely determination to fail even harder in a second term.
on August 5,2012 | 09:09AM
bleedgreen wrote:
What makes you think Romney is qualified? It was Republicans that kept on questioning Obama's U.S birth. And some Republicans still bring this up. So what's the big deal with questioning Romney's tax filings which he has not yet fully disclosed.
on August 5,2012 | 09:18AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Neither have many democrat politicians, including Reid and Pelosi, disclosed their tax returns. If not them, why Romney? Romney is profoundly more qualified than Obama-- business man, governor, olympics savior, education, and experience. When it comes to actual accomplishments and knowledge, there's no contest.
on August 5,2012 | 10:00AM
OldDiver wrote:
So your reasoning is that Mitt has no faith in the United States so he must hid his money in Swiss and Cayman Island bank accounts. That is very patriotic of him.
on August 5,2012 | 10:36AM
Pacej001 wrote:
So your reasoning is that investing overseas is unpatriotic. BS. Millions of Americans, at a wide range of income levels, have foreign investments which they disclose and pay taxes on-- just like Romney.
on August 5,2012 | 11:24AM
Kuniarr wrote:
OldDiver, you need to restore your credibility. This latest blog of yours is based upon a figment of your imagination which further makes your blog just a lot of hogwash. For you see, OD, Swiss bank accounts in non-Swiss francs and Swiss francs do pay interest. - - - - Source: http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/general/interest_currencies.html
on August 5,2012 | 09:55AM
OldDiver wrote:
Not in the type of accounts that Mitt Romney is purporting using. Mitt is paying for the privilege of hiding his money to evade paying taxes.
on August 5,2012 | 10:33AM
stingray65 wrote:
OldDiver, you are correct!! Yes, you do not get interest of your money in swiss. You pay the bank to deposit your money..I know that of a fact.
on August 5,2012 | 11:14AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Once again, not a shred of fact in your post. Let's try logic once again. That you know about Romney's foreign account MEANS THAT IT HAS BEEN DISCLOSED, as in reported to the IRS and taxes if any due paid. Romney has not hidden this financial activity. As far as interest goes, who cares, the logical reason for owning another currency is the belief that it will appreciate against the dollar. Given Mr. Obama's economic malpractice, that was a pretty safe bet. The year of the panic, the Swiss Franc appreciated a good bit against the dollar. It probably has since as well.
on August 5,2012 | 11:30AM
Kuniarr wrote:
OldDiver, why do you keep destroying your credibility? Give us the link to the source of your information.
on August 5,2012 | 02:55PM
lynnh wrote:
Ok, everyone looks at percentages. Pays less than you and I pay? When was the last time you paid 13.9% of $21,000,000. That is "2.9 million" dollars in taxes! So are you still saying he pays less than you and I? Get a clue!
on August 5,2012 | 09:38AM
stingray65 wrote:
Lynnh, call a CPA or business Lawyer. Or get into a busness like Romney. Trust me you will not be paying 35% taxes. They have so called tax shelter or expenses to claim.
on August 5,2012 | 11:18AM
soundofreason wrote:
As a % yes, but not the amount of the check. When the rest of the 47% START paying SOMETHING....THEN I'll be concerned with what his % is. If govt accepts 0% from 47% of everyone, I'LL accept 1% from someone who employs thousands of other taxpayers.
on August 5,2012 | 09:55AM
Kalli wrote:
The democrats are trying to use Romney's success as a wedge with the American people. Romney earned his money fair and square unlike Obama who received sweetheart deals to buy a house in Chicago and the lot next to it. Obama spends America's money like a welfare king, Romney will use America's wealth just as he does his own in financial investments and reduce our deficits.
on August 5,2012 | 07:13AM
KurtNJ wrote:
Romney won't release his tax because it will show there are two sets of rules in America. One for the rich, the other for the rat of us. Plain and simple. What is he hiding?
on August 5,2012 | 07:22AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Its the same set of rules that you and I can use. If you invest and can derive income from your investments, you are taxed at the capital gains tax. Instead of criticizing, take advantage of it.
on August 5,2012 | 07:49AM
stingray65 wrote:
Don't believeinmyths: Bingo! you hit nail on the spot!! some does not understand.
on August 5,2012 | 11:21AM
purigorota wrote:
Yeah. most of us rats don't pay any taxes.
on August 5,2012 | 07:50AM
Ronin006 wrote:
Obama will not release his college records. What is he hiding? Romney should release his tax records when Obama releases his college records.
on August 5,2012 | 09:04AM
Ewasohappy wrote:
Reid, a liar? Can't be.
on August 5,2012 | 07:22AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Consider the source of that unfounded accusation.
on August 5,2012 | 07:33AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Harry Reid, who pronounced the Iraq war lost while our sons and daughters were still fighting it, is the most reprehensible politician in my memory, a disgusting relic who has failed in his most basic national responsibilities.
on August 5,2012 | 08:44AM
Paulh808 wrote:
Amen, and what about the tax cheats in the Obama administration, I don't hear the outcry from the MM over that and about Kerry as Pace refferred to.
on August 5,2012 | 10:19AM
Pacej001 wrote:
It's been reported that Obama staffers are delinquent in paying income taxes to the tune of $833,000, nearly a million bucks. I wonder if the IRS is going after them as hard as they are going after a number of Romney campaign contributors?
on August 5,2012 | 01:34PM
Changalang wrote:
The U.S. did lose Iraq, and Afghanistan. How do you measure victory? Iraq is now Iran-West and Afghanistan is now Pakistan-North. Our Secretary of State just formally apologized to Pakistan to get access to supply routes back. Basically, Reid was one of the first to call the truth on the outcome of Bush's wars.
on August 5,2012 | 02:11PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Once upon a time disputes over foreign policy ended at our national border. At least that was the non-partisan ideal, but reprehensible toads like Harry, and your buddy Neil, diverged from that during the Iraq war, declaring that the war was lost while we were fighting it. This was a reprehensible betrayal of our young people doing the fighting and a direct attack on our national interest in which both of these little men put political gain above national interests. We did win the Iraq war. The extent of instability there, and Iranian influence, is due to Mr. Obama's failure to end the war on more favorable terms, meaning a SOFA agreement that would have allowed us to have some influence and protect our interests.
on August 5,2012 | 05:15PM
Changalang wrote:
Soldiers can't pick their Generals. Iraq is lost; the blood, treasure, and limbs was not worth the effort. Obama followed Rumsfeld's timeline. Nation building is and always was a failed strategy. The coming cuts to Defense will mean that power will be used more wisely. America only needs unconventional forces to deploy via seek and destroy. Conventional forces need to play defense on our own borders. If you think Iraq and Afghanistan is what victory looks like, then you need to recalibrate your perspective to a time when America came, conquered, and ruled. Seems like a good time to honor Hiroshima.
on August 5,2012 | 09:51PM
Changalang wrote:
Guess I am a few hours early. :)
on August 5,2012 | 09:52PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Still out there? We can argue about the outcome. However, there is no argument about Harry Reid's conduct. The war was in progress/undecided when he made his pronouncement, a treasonous betrayal. Nation building/counter insurgency is not "always" a failed strategy -- British in Malaya and US in Iraq, where nations now exists. Your ideas on military strategy are just great, for the year 1803. Not now. And once again you're wrong about what the cuts to defense forces will bring. The weaker we are the higher the chance of conflict and the more likely that conflict will be on terms disadvantageous to us. As to what victory looks like or how military strategy pays out, you aren't qualified to school me. Already been schooled. So, stick to politics.
on August 6,2012 | 08:26AM
serious wrote:
Yes, I saw his lips move.
on August 5,2012 | 08:45AM
stingray65 wrote:
Ewa, Reid is in politics in decades. If not a liar they are still crooked!! Or, taking a candy away from a baby!! LOL :)
on August 5,2012 | 11:23AM
Grimbold wrote:
Half of Americans get Government assistance in some form and pay hardly any taxes.. They will vote Democrat, because Democrates policy is to steal money from the successful and buy votes by giving that money to the others. Soon the unsuccessful will be the majority. That will produce a stranglehold on Government by Democrats and in the end economic breakdown like in communism, because few people will be left to work hard, seeing how the government steals their money and gives it to the undeserving..
on August 5,2012 | 07:26AM
Changalang wrote:
And it is working like a charm. Obama has a lock on the General. Romney in no way can sell tax guts for the wealthy when half of America is dependent on the gov't for food on their table and a sustained quality of life. Moderates are Republicans only hope to slow the rate of Change. Obama's next and last term means he is going to be off the life. Four more years is a virtual lock. Time for GOP in Hawaii to start playing chess for survival vs. a losing game of checkers for the disappointing win.
on August 5,2012 | 07:57AM
Pacej001 wrote:
No, he doesn't. I'll go with Michael Barone's analysis. Obama has no lock. We're just one economic reverse (such as the new recession we're sliding into) away from a Romney landslide. Lacking that, it's a toss up. Re. Case, you're half right. He'd be the right "bridge" senator for hawaii to have in a Republican dominated congress. Hirono would never have a seat at any table.
on August 5,2012 | 09:14AM
Changalang wrote:
Barone works for FoxNews. Do the math yourself. The ultimate subject changer remains in the wings; an attack on Iran will suck all the oxygen out of the room for weeks in the current Commander in Chief's favor. Timing is everything. :)
on August 5,2012 | 10:27AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Blaming Fox news is a sign of a weak argument. Barone's precinct buy precinct election calls have been phenomenal. With Barone's help, Fox has beat the other cable networks hands down in terms of depth and accuracy of coverage. As to his bias, I don't see it and I believe his math is pretty good. He's the best in his field and he concludes the election is a toss up. Could Obama wag the dog with Iran? No. His left wing, so opposed to any form of American military action, would stay home in droves. Obama's best chance is some economic improvement and that isn't looking good. I think the real surprise is going to be Romney's debate performance. Some of the old footage I've seen from his governors race looked pretty good. Given low expectations against the golden throated one, that could make a difference.
on August 5,2012 | 11:38AM
Changalang wrote:
You brought up Barone, who is Fox shot caller. Rasmussen beats all. To believe Fox is not slanted Right; is to believe MSNBC is not slanted Left. Debates don't win races. Ask Barone to run the occasions debates have actually changed the E.C. vote trending graph in the last 60 years. Rock solid methodology is to take the poling trends of each State of Likely voters and average the median and assign a trend line for the whole election season. I know it is hard to accept the truth, but others realize that there is an art form and a science to winning elections. Gillespie brings professionalism to the Romney campaign, but the incumbent is inoculated against everything Romney or the GOP raves about and the media picks Romney apart every chance he gets. You want a simpler guide of probability; check the Intrade trendline. Obama has a current 18.7 percent advantage. Hardly the dead heat Barone tries to sell with Rove and Morris. They need to be cheer-leading right now for fundraising; but it is already too late.
on August 5,2012 | 02:06PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Fox is slanted right. I don't think Barone is. Debates might make a difference in a very close election, only. Barone's methodology is as good as anyone's. However, the odds are with the incumbent, especially given the pathetic press bias. Not so sure Obama is inoculated against his economic record. That's the key. If we move back into recession or the unemployment rate continues to rise, he's toast.
on August 5,2012 | 05:22PM
Changalang wrote:
We have never left a Recession State. Keynesian stimulus is but a mask of market manipulation to skew the numbers. Keep you eye on the Jobs Act passing out of Congress soon. Print and spend until time runs out. That is the plan. The only path.
on August 5,2012 | 09:38PM
tinapa wrote:
The 2012 political stage has been set. Repubs will vote for Romney and Dems wil vote for Obama. The deciding factor as to who will win in November is the demographic group called the independents and this group consists mainly middle class averaga workers. Polls after polls show that Obama, on the avarage, is ahead by at least 6% in states considered as "swing". Analysts observe that this group favors Obama by a whopping margin because he is the one that can truly feels their pain and will lead them into the path of prosperity and that they do not know where Romney stands on issues because of his capricious mind. Repubs are frustrated and worry because their remaining card (anemic economic recovery) is fading every minute. They thought that Romney would be ahead by at least 10%. because of this. Indeed, it was just a shattered dream
on August 5,2012 | 04:39PM
Changalang wrote:
The fact of the matter is that these diversions do not matter. Obama has 331 Electoral College votes going less than 100 days into the General. He has vote back to the top in every of the eleven swing States. He only needs 270 E.C. votes to win. Hawaii's favorite son is staying in the White House. Wait until you see what he is going to do in his term limited last term. Romney paid his taxes and is a nice guy; but the facts are what they are. The solid Senate position to flip GOP has just reveresed as well secondary to Obama's swing State surge. The Democrats are going to keep the Senate. Island Republicans better think about pulling a "D" ballot for Ed Case, so Hawaii will have at least one capable Senator when Dan retires at the Age of 90 in 2014; if he can make it. Food for thought basted in sobering objectivity.
on August 5,2012 | 07:29AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Since we haven't had the election, neither candidate has a single electoral vote.
on August 5,2012 | 01:36PM
Changalang wrote:
Would you like a side order of Ruby Slippers with your Hope for Change, Dorothy?
on August 5,2012 | 01:55PM
Pacej001 wrote:
"Dewey defeats Truman"
on August 5,2012 | 05:23PM
Changalang wrote:
Ancient history. It is ironic that President Obama delivered so thoroughly on his Hope and Change promise. He changed America forever, and left his staunchest opponents with nothing but Hope. That is victory. LOL.
on August 5,2012 | 09:36PM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Namecalling is all the GOPers have left. How else can they defend the secrecy of their candidate? Does anyone know for sure why Romney refuses to disclose his tax returns? Maybe it is because he pays a lower percentage than 78% of all American taxpayers, and has overseas accounts totallying in billions of dollars?
on August 5,2012 | 07:31AM
Changalang wrote:
More importantly, Sen. Reid, President of the Senate, is the guy throwing mud in what was thought to be a swing state. All the swing states have solidified; so Dirty Harry is out on point firing his 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. He knows the same math. he will be Senate President and their majority number will most likely grow, at this point. They could've had anyone take shots at Romney, but the Dems and Repugs know the same thing; so the Big Dog is out there taking on Romney and making our day. Hawaii needs a "D" Senator that can build a coalition in the middle. That is where the power is going to be in the new Senate political breakdown. Case is the only guy tailor made for Hawaii's future. No need to mention Mazie. Everybody knows good for nothing when it sits in front of our face for 8 years.
on August 5,2012 | 07:51AM
serious wrote:
The President of the Senate is a draft dodger, just like Harry Reid, name is Joe Biden.
on August 5,2012 | 08:53AM
Changalang wrote:
My bad. Continuing Senate Majority Leader. Regardless of title, the D.C. read put Reid out front to attack rather than a surrogate. The math supports their confidence.
on August 5,2012 | 10:25AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Reid, aside from it being his character, is taking the lead in sliming Romney because he has nothing to loose having been reelected in 2010. Meanwhile, the real Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood, has endorsed Romney. Now there's a leading indicator for you.
on August 5,2012 | 01:39PM
Changalang wrote:
Nevada, because of its high Mormon population, WAS in play. It no longer is, so REid can attack Romney without fear of reprisal FOR Obama. He is not attacking Romney for his benefit, but to drive the groundswell against Romney showing in all the toss up States. Reid knows Nevada is now safe so his guns are blaring; rather than a surrogate from the Dem ranks. That is the main point.
on August 5,2012 | 01:52PM
Graham wrote:
Mr. Haugen, I'm surprised at this comment, usually your comments are more thought out.
on August 5,2012 | 08:24AM
Ronin006 wrote:
Obama will not release his college records. What is he hiding? Romney should release his tax records when Obama releases his college records.
on August 5,2012 | 09:07AM
Changalang wrote:
The tax record request is just a trick to focus the media on Romney because he trapped himself by saying he wouldn't release it. Any time Romney talks about something, spin it to his taxes and the details in the Ryan plan he embraced that cuts taxes for the wealthy. Axelrod has the GOP in the crosshairs.
on August 5,2012 | 10:29AM
Pacej001 wrote:
LOL. OK, let's try not calling any names. First house dem appropriations bill had 9,000 earmarks, stimulus essentially wasted a trillion dollars, gulf coast oil business destroyed by Obama moratorium experts called unnecessary, Keystone pipeline jobs lost, a frankenstein monster of a healthcare bill rammed through with no bipartisan support, multiple attacks on the constitution (forcing birth control on Catholic Church and illegal recess appointments), blatant decision not to enforce immigration laws, no national budget in over three years, no attempt to control runaway entitlement debt,or debt of any kind, a nasty resort to the divisiveness of class warfare that has further divided the country, an outright hostility to business --- jawboning endlessly about raising taxes and denigrating the successful, "you didn't build that", " the private sector is doing just fine". Enough? There's plenty more. Obama should have a patent on failure in leadership. In fact that brings to mind a bumper sticker to represent his determination to continue his policies: Obama 2012---Fail Harder.
on August 5,2012 | 11:50AM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
Keith, Character Assassination is ALL the Democrats HAVE. With a dismal record of accomplishments and a whole lotta failures (can you say "Shovel Ready", "Solyndra", "Fast & Furious", "Stimulus Plan", "ObamaTAX masquerading as Care", "Dream Act", "World Apology Tour", "Executive Privilege", "Corporate Bailouts", ad infinitum?), Liberal Lemmings such as yourself choose to overlook His Highness's record in a desperate bid to prove they're not racists, all to the detriment of this country and future generations saddled with ridiculous levels of debt. Tell you what; when Obama releases his college transcripts, I'll join your chorus demanding Mitt's tax returns. Funny. John Kerry was never subjected to this level of tax scrutiny, why the fuss all of a sudden with Romney? Deep down, Keith, you KNOW that Barack Hussein doesn't have a leg to stand on. I suggest you be more honest with yourself.
on August 5,2012 | 08:39PM
veelc wrote:
If Governor Romney had cheated on his taxes as alleged, he would have already been under investigation by the IRS long ago. The Dems are trying to create an issue when the real facts are that Obama hasn't produced as advertised. His "accomplishments are nowhere near what he claims. You and I can deride the "rich guys" all we like, but truth be told, they are rich because they had some talent, a lot of guts and little sleep. Don't believe the 1% paying their "fair share" will bail us out. Our governments insatiable appetite for your taxes is worse than that of a crack addicts is for batu. It is and never will be satisfied. The Dems are getting desperate and it'll get nastier as it winds down. Don't be fooled.
on August 5,2012 | 07:44AM
OldDiver wrote:
The purpose of hiding money in Swiss bank accounts is to evade paying taxes. If the IRS doesn't know about the money they can't go after you.
on August 5,2012 | 08:01AM
beachbum11 wrote:
And where is your boy Obummer's money. Same place as yours in another country. Maybe you should move.
on August 5,2012 | 08:10AM
OldDiver wrote:
Wonderful comments from the one called beachbum.
on August 5,2012 | 08:54AM
Paulh808 wrote:
I liked it too!
on August 5,2012 | 10:23AM
serious wrote:
People and corporations keep money in foreign banks because they do business there. Exchange rates, etc.
on August 5,2012 | 10:42AM
hawaiikone wrote:
About as meaningful as yours.
on August 5,2012 | 10:39AM
Pacej001 wrote:
And the only reason to report that Swiss account to the IRS (in Romney's released tax return) is to pay US income taxes on it, not hide it. Seriously flawed thinking. And what happens with ten years of tax returns? More details on Romney's legally disclosed/paid income and taxes.
on August 5,2012 | 01:43PM
soshaljustic wrote:
What IS Romney fearful of? No need be scaredy cat Romney? If you r a scaredy cat of showing your taxes to the people, . We, the people, like see what it is you pay to play in the United States with. Do you pay here? Or you like play in other countries instead and no like play in the good 'ol US? Everyone has a spending record for the past couple decades right, but you no like release yours for a couple years only? No need be scareddy cat Romney. Cannot be thaaaat bad now. Cannit? The really wealthy people I know have couple several houses in Hawaii for people with disabilities and help them, millionaires on paper. Take mebe a trip to the phillipines once evry two years, and are hard workers although in their 70's still. Very loving and caring. We that know them spend all their money here in the US and Hawaii. What you do with yours Romney? No need be scareddy cat. Fess up.
on August 5,2012 | 08:03AM
Ronin006 wrote:
Obama will not release his college records. What is he hiding? Of what is he afraid? Why is everyone demanding Romney release his tax records and is giving Obama a pass on his college records? Romney should release his tax records when Obama releases his college records.
on August 5,2012 | 09:09AM
Pacej001 wrote:
I suspect Romney doesn't want to give the democrats any more detail than he has to because even his fully disclosed income and fully paid taxes (that's what an income tax return shows, right) can be twisted by the politicos and used against him. Sort of like the birthers used Obama's initial failure to provide a birth certificate to raise doubts about his origin.
on August 5,2012 | 01:47PM
krusha wrote:
I don't blame Romney for not wanting to release more of his previous tax returns since there probably is a lot more creative tax deductions in those returns such as we saw with him taking a tax deduction on feeding his horse when he classified it as as an income expense. I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to get it down to zero like companies such as General Electric has done with their previous return. If he kept most of his money in offshore bank accounts in the Caymen Islands and Swiss accounts, then even the interest on those millions wouldn't be taxed either.
on August 5,2012 | 09:02AM
DiverDave wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on August 5,2012 | 09:12AM
cojef wrote:
Didn't Romney show his tax return when he ran for Governor? Yes means, there is a previous paper trail. Determine if he did, then establish his most recent disclosure and if they equate to a 10 years period, then senator Reid lied or made outlandish comments, not in good stead for a Speaker of the Senate.
on August 5,2012 | 09:58AM
soundofreason wrote:
There is NO answer that Romeny can give that will fix the direction of this country. IRRELEVANT issue.
on August 5,2012 | 09:58AM
Paulh808 wrote:
And our failed president can? Have you Dems been living under a rock the last three plus years, the facts don't lie.
on August 5,2012 | 10:26AM
soundofreason wrote:
Did you just call me a Dem? Me? My point is - Romney's tax situation/answer has NOTHING to do with fixing what needs fixed. Nothing. Irrelevant issue. Smoke and mirrors. If we took ALL the money from ALL the top 1%'ers - that STILL would not fix our debt situation. So, strangling the SOURCE of our country's wealth is NOT the solution. Our spending policies (ie not budget for last 3 years) IS the problem. Now, I want an apology. You can insult my family, violate my daughters....but don't EVER call me a Dem ;)
on August 5,2012 | 10:56AM
entrkn wrote:
Romney and his cronies will say and do anything to keep those tax and income records secret from us... maybe we all should be looking at the income and tax records of all of them... they are more afraid of what we will find out than they fear death.
on August 5,2012 | 11:19AM
CloudForest wrote:
Most people don't pay nearly the taxes that Mitt pays on money already earned, but then most people are clueless. This is an age old strategy employed by the democrats - divide and conquer along with a good dose of jealousy to make their method even more insidious. How un-American and wicked. I hope the Democrats get swept from every form of power.
on August 5,2012 | 01:19PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
The fact that Mitt Romney refuses to release his tax information shows that he is hiding something. Is that the kind of president you want to see? All of this political debating is moot if you don't see anything wrong with that. People are not stupid. They know when something is wrong and Mitt is sidestepping the issue by blowing smoke with political counter attacks. Yes, it is all fair game for politicians to do so but the fact is he has something to hid. And when he promised to show another tax return he was only willing to do one more. Why is that? Again, because he knows that it would affect his political career negatively. I, for one, will not vote for a candidate that keeps hiding something that is pertinent to the issues.
on August 5,2012 | 01:20PM
hawaiikone wrote:
How could you make such a ridiculous comment? You won't vote for Romney because he won't disclose something yet you'll vote for Obama, whose hidden far more than Romney. Democrat at work...
on August 5,2012 | 01:42PM
Changalang wrote:
Do you think your vote for President in Hawaii against Obama makes one lick of difference in the outcome? Really? LOL.
on August 5,2012 | 02:19PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Well, at least I canceled your vote...
on August 5,2012 | 04:25PM
Changalang wrote:
My vote is worth more, because it is/was with the winner. Your vote is just your wasted time. Sorry.
on August 5,2012 | 09:32PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Don't get your thinking. Romney's tax returns are information he freely provided to the IRS. You call that "hiding something"? I have to argue with your "people aren't stupid" comment if they think seeing Romney's tax returns will expose some nefarious, illegal activity on his part. By definition, a tax return is full disclosure of an individuals income and his or her legal obligation to pay taxes. Why wouldn't he show more? Because Obama is involved in a nasty, negative campaign and will twist any information they can get and use it against Romney. Why should he help them slime him?
on August 5,2012 | 01:59PM
tinapa wrote:
paceifica....Before you open your mouth, educate yourself about the 2009 tax amnesty. your boy Romney took advantage of this law because of his presideential plans and to make everybody believe that he is being transparent about his financial dealings. This is pure malarkey. Romney could no longer fool the people. Who would believe a serial flopper like Romney anyway?
on August 5,2012 | 06:56PM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
Barack Hussein Obama had previously been on record as opposing gay marriage. Then, all of a sudden, he comes out in favor of it, claiming he has been "evolving" on the issue. He also criticized George Bush's deficit spending, opining that it demonstrated "a lack of leadership". Need more examples of flip-flopping? Do your homework. Barack Hussein has succeeded in pulling the wool over your eyes. I suggest you use that thing between your ears before you display your gullibility and naiveté'.
on August 5,2012 | 08:55PM
Maipono wrote:
Obama had his chance, now the only thing his campaign has is to go negetive on Romney. People don't be fooled, nobody is perfect, but let's not put another 4 years of slow decline that we have had under our president. Romney will fix this mess that we are in, and he won't do it by taxing and spending, which has been the president's favorite tool for the last 3 years. America is strong, we will recover from the miss-steps of the current administration, a president Romney will do this for us, don't let the dirty tricks politics sway you.
on August 5,2012 | 01:45PM
Changalang wrote:
Romney would be a great President in a country that believed in trickle down economics and spreading the prosperity around instead of the wealth. America is no longer the country you think it is. The demographics of gov't dependence is all the Party base the Democrats need. How is the GOP going to suppress voter turnout against people who need the gov't to put food on their tables and get healthcare? It is math already; not politics. We are now the United States of Collectivism and the gov't holds the keys.
on August 5,2012 | 02:18PM
Kuniarr wrote:
What we need today is another version of Ronald Reagan whio has an vsion of an America under capitalism not Socialism. Capitalism lives on capital. Socialism lives on taxes. Anybody here think that the US would become what it is today if our economic system was like Sweden or Russia? Our economic problem is not because of taxes being low but because our spending is high plus most of all almost all of our trade deficit is huge. The enormity of our trade deficit is the symptom of why the US economy is a mess. Unemployment is so high because millions of US jobs went overseas.
on August 5,2012 | 03:15PM
Changalang wrote:
Romney is not Reagan and America is changed forever.
on August 5,2012 | 09:29PM
stevelaudig wrote:
Those calling Reid a liar [let's call them 'liar-callers'] can only be accurate if they have seen the Romney tax returns [or the cancelled check evidencing payment]. The liar-callers haven't seen the returns they are not telling the truth [merely stating a an opinion lacking any factual basis] hence are likely to be deceivers themselves. Follow? heh heh. Show us the cancelled check. If you won't show your returns, show the evidence of payment.
on August 5,2012 | 01:45PM
roadsterred wrote:
Harry Reid has no creditability. He lost it a long time ago when he got caught in a Nevada real estate land deal where he profited on a land sale he said he did not own. He's just another Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Barbara Boxer, and Dick Durbin. Middle-class America, the one's who are working and paying income taxes, are wise to them.
on August 5,2012 | 07:11PM
localgirl2 wrote:
“He could clear it up just like that, lickety-split, by releasing his tax returns, which every major candidate for president of the United States has done except for Mitt Romney,” said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, who heads the Democratic National Committee. Oh, BTW, I believe that the article says Romney DID release his last IRS form....Ok, well that is what the Republicans have been saying all along about everything else that is 'off limits' about Obama. His birth certificate, his records from school, you name it. If the Dems wouldn't release it early on in Obama's term of office, well then all is fair in love an war! Getoverit Debbie Waserman Shultz!
on August 5,2012 | 09:20PM
IEBuzzin wrote:
Again, worse than the pot calling the kettle "beige"
on August 5,2012 | 09:28PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs