Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Wilhelmina Rise house fire apparently intentionally set, firefighters say

By Star-Advertier staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 01:21 a.m. HST, Aug 25, 2012


A fire that heavily damaged a single-story, wooden home on Wilhelmina Rise home Friday morning leaving two men, a woman and her dog homeless apparently was intentionally set, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig.

The case has been turned over to the police, Seelig said.

The fire broke out at about 6:08 a.m. at a home at 1439 Center St.

Arriving firefighters saw “heavy flames coming from one half of the house,” Seelig said. The fire caused $250,000 damage to the house and $15,000 to contents, Seelig said.

“The flames were huge,” said Daniel Ho, a neighbor on Sierra Drive. “They were 10 to 15 feet. It was insane.”

Firefighters brought the flames under control by 6:50 a.m. and the fire was extinguished 45 minutes later.

A smoke alarm woke up one of the residents.

The other man, who said the flames woke him up, said the fire may have been started by a cigarette.

The three housemates, who lived in the two-bedroom home, declined to give their names.

One of the men said his parents own the home, which was built in 1928, according to city tax records. 

The three said they are not related.

Paramedics examined the woman, but she did not need treatment, Seelig said.

The Red Cross is assisting them.

Three engine and ladder companies responded to the fire.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(6)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
justin_thyme wrote:
Why did the Star-Advertiser consider it relevant to mention whether or not the occupants of the damaged home are related to one another? They declined to provide their names -- wasn't that a sufficient signal that they want to protect their privacy rights? It's sad enough that they've lost a place to live; why do they deserve exposure of information that they prefer to remain private?
on August 24,2012 | 11:19AM
busthalfnut wrote:
It is the job of the newspaper to collect and report the facts and let us make sense of them. If the fire was intentionally set, then it is a crime, and we think about motive. The housemates are natural suspects, given their potential adversarial relationship with their landlord. The housemates are fairly included in any criminal investigation. Their identity is very relevant.
on August 25,2012 | 06:19AM
onwardupward wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on August 25,2012 | 11:35AM
busthalfnut wrote:
I see your argument in favor of the newspaper disclosing ever more. If you feel the paper should be reporting more, OK.
on August 25,2012 | 03:28PM
Eagle156 wrote:
One of the side effects of the supreme court decision is a boost to the congressional seat candidacy of former governor Lingle. She steadfastly resisted the pleas to sign off on the rail project.whereas Governor Abercrombie went along with the powers that be as one of his first actions was to approve the project. The fact that Hirono is a stalwart protege of the rail baron Inouye could sway the voters in siding with Lingle who at least had concerns over the fast failing project.
on August 25,2012 | 07:12AM
cojef wrote:
Wonder what gave rise that the fire was intentional set. The article makes no mention that a dispute between the owner and tenants existed.There is evidence that someone was smoking according to the article, but the extent of fire damage may indicate an accelerant was used, thus arson is suspected and referred to the police department. Home built in 1928?? Possible, "friendly fire" to recoup current values, upwards in the $800G, or more??
on August 25,2012 | 07:50AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on August 25,2012 | 09:56AM
false wrote:
Nah, she and her father Wimpy Caldwell skipped town.
on August 25,2012 | 02:53PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Warrior Beat
One last fling

Political Radar
Phased in

Political Radar
Palolo v. Pauoa

Political Radar
Palolo v. Pauoa

Career Changers
Must Sea TV

Political Radar
HB 1700 — Day 4

Political Radar
Pass