Quantcast
  

Friday, April 18, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 17 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

American killed in store robbery in Philippines

By Associated Press

POSTED:



MANILA, Philippines >> Police say robbers at a convenience store in the Philippine capital have shot dead an American executive of an English language training center.

Police say Robert Edward Armstrong was inside the Manila store on Sunday when four robbers ordered the employees and at least three customers into the storage room while they emptied the cash register. Police officer Alonzo Layugan says 45-year-old Armstrong was shot when he tried to dash out of the store.

Layugan said Monday that the wounded American managed to get into his car but one of the robbers shot him again. Armstrong was declared dead at a hospital. His hometown was not immediately known.

Police say the other customers and employees were unharmed. The robbers are still at large.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 17 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(17)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Manila is the wild west. Good luck in solving this murder.
on September 3,2012 | 09:33AM
cojef wrote:
Over there, lives are inconsquential in a commission of crime. You are dog meat and no quarters given. The Moros just as soon behead without qualms. Yes, it's lucky if you can solve who the culprit are responsible for this killing. Staying put would have been by choice, istead of making a break. Sad when crime is committed in broad daylight by armed gunmen.
on September 3,2012 | 10:21AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
I have to disagree with your sentiment regarding the people in Manila, Philippines where this incident took place. The Moros you speak of are about five percent of the population and to say that they are ALL barbaric is misinformation. As in all races and creeds there will be some that are, in fact, barbaric. Just look at the incident that someone has mentioned in which a boy was barbarically killed. I have visited this beautiful country you speak of experienced the hospitality of the people there. I did not not experience any barbaric people that you speak of, Moros or otherwise. To put a label on people just because of some stories that you may have read or head is just downright misinformation. Now, I don't know what kind of feelings that you must have to make comments that state that these people in the Philippines but making blanket statements about a race of people is negative stereotyping. Such an attitude has no place in today's USA. You say I have an issue with the rich people but I simply do not. My issue is that they do not pay enough taxes compared to the poor or middle class. I do not hate them. I just believe in fairness in taxes. Racist comments against a people or peoples is just simply wrong.
on September 3,2012 | 02:37PM
WesleySMori wrote:
Amen "NODADDYNOTTHEBELT"!! " AMEN"!!!!!!!!!!!
on September 3,2012 | 05:47PM
sumoroach wrote:
Get off the couch and earn your money. You have to work but some people just want hand outs for free.
on September 3,2012 | 11:05PM
sailfish1 wrote:
nodaddynotthebelt - You use a curious name. Is it because your children say that every time they see you? Pretty sad.
on January 11,2013 | 04:46AM
rayhawaii wrote:
America's crimes 1000 times higher than Philippines. New York, Washington DC, Chicago and LA average 1.5 murders a day and that is a low number. You add up how many Americans get murdered in our own country makes the Taliban suicide bombers look like a day in the park. Some guy shoot up people watching a batman movie, mom killing her kids, dad wiping out the whole family. Drug killings, store robbery murders, neighbors killing neighbors. Our list goes on and on and on. So when we see an American murdered in the Philippines we say, those people must be crazy over there.
on September 3,2012 | 11:42AM
loio wrote:
ray, you don't know what you're talking about. i was born and raised in the Philippines, and crime is out of control in Manila. And, beyond the media headlines, the American crime rate has been trending lower for more than a decade now.
on September 4,2012 | 04:50AM
rayhawaii wrote:
Like I said:TRENTON, N.J. >> A man high on PCP-laced marijuana stabbed two neighborhood children in their home while they slept, killing a 6-year-old boy and critically wounding his 12-year-old sister, authorities said.
on September 3,2012 | 11:47AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Sad, but it could've happened in Waikiki, Waianae, L.A. or Long Beach. Wrong place, wrong time. My condolences to the family.
on September 3,2012 | 12:06PM
WesleySMori wrote:
"YUP"!!
on September 3,2012 | 05:55PM
mosquito96826 wrote:
If you've never lived in another society and know about it, then don't comment like an expert spewing your ethnocentic poison.
on September 3,2012 | 12:21PM
Fred01 wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on September 3,2012 | 03:22PM
WesleySMori wrote:
Well "FRED01", "YOU ARE QUITE The "DIPLOMAT"!!! "GOD BLESS HAWAII & AMERICA"!!!!!!!!!!
on September 3,2012 | 05:55PM
mosquito96826 wrote:
Ah. I don't get to see your response. Change of heart or change of gender.
on September 11,2012 | 09:48PM
BO0o07 wrote:
I don't know the difference in crime rates and the only reason this made the news is because an American was involved.
on September 3,2012 | 12:25PM
WesleySMori wrote:
"TRUE"!!
on September 3,2012 | 05:50PM
ejkorvette wrote:
Despite the "back-biting" going on in the below comments, the loss of life is Terrible. Prayers extend to the family of the deceased American. As an American, I've lived in the Philippines for 7yrs and travled extensively to several islands. There is no text book reaction as to how one should respond when in a position during a robbery. If the intent of the robbers is to steal and kill, no matter what Country, State, or City, Evil will run its course. I know Justice will be served, either Earthly or Spiritually.
on September 3,2012 | 05:38PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News