Quantcast

Monday, July 28, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 136 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Romney assails Obama anew over foreign attacks

By Ben Feller and Nedra Pickler
Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:24 a.m. HST, Sep 12, 2012


JACKSONVILLE, Fla. » Republican Mitt Romney on Tuesday assailed President Barack Obama anew over his administration's handling of foreign attacks on U.S. diplomatic missions, saying the president's team sent "mixed signals to the world" in the face of violence.

Obama, who earlier condemned "the outrageous attack" that killed U.S. ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three American members of his staff, planned a statement in the Rose Garden shortly after Romney defended his response to the violence before knowing the diplomats were dead.

Romney jumped to criticize Obama Tuesday night as the attacks were being waged on U.S. diplomatic missions in Egypt and Libya, saying the administration's early response seemed to sympathize with the attackers who were protesting an obscure film by a California filmmaker that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

Romney was responding to a statement issued by the embassy in Cairo that condemned "efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims." Romney said in his appearance Wednesday that the statement "was akin to an apology" for American values while its grounds were under attack.

Romney originally planned to address supporters in his Jacksonville, Fla., campaign headquarters but his staff scrambled to change the set-up to a more somber appearance to reflect the grim news. The supporters were ushered from the room and four flags were set up behind the podium from which Romney read a brief statement mentioning Egypt in passing, using the statement from Cairo as evidence that Obama is a weak leader. He then invited questions from reporters, who asked if it was an appropriate tone to take given the deaths revealed later. Romney stood firm.

"The president takes responsibility not just for the words that come from his mouth, but also for the words that come from his ambassadors , from his administration, form his embassies, from his state department," Romney said. "They clearly sent mixed messages to the world. The statement that came from the administration — and the embassy is the administration — the statement that came from the administration was a statement which is akin to apology. And I think was a severe miscalculation."

Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt responded Tuesday night that the campaign was "shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Gov. Romney would choose to launch a political attack." The president planned to make a statement Wednesday morning in a White House Rose Garden appearance with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The attacks pivoted the election to foreign policy, an area where Obama has a lead in polling even though Republicans traditionally have an edge.

The question has been whether a crisis in Iran or Syria could create a campaign issue for Obama, but instead the attacks sparked by the film has brought an unexpected crisis. Romney jumped on the development to argue Obama isn't leading on foreign policy. It's unclear whether the ambassador's death will catch the attention of voters rather than the war in Afghanistan or Obama's leadership in the death of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Obama was more cautious in responding to the attacks as the situation evolved. The White House says Obama was informed of the Libya attacks Tuesday afternoon during his weekly meeting with Pentagon leaders and told later in the evening that Stevens was unaccounted for. Obama learned of the ambassador's death Wednesday morning, the White House said.

The situation threatened to get worse, with U.S. embassies in the Libyan border nations of Algeria and Tunisia warning Americans to avoid crowded places where even peaceful protests planned for Wednesday could turn violent.

On Capitol Hill, House and Senate Republicans mostly steered clear of the political criticism that Romney leveled at Obama over foreign policy, focusing on the lives lost in the Egyptian and Libyan attacks and imploring the two governments to condemn the incidents and protect American diplomatic missions.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said Americans "will stand united in our response."

"Among the things we can all agree on in Washington is that attacks on the U.S. and its representatives will be met with resolve, and that America's presence and defense of our national interests across the globe will not be deterred by the acts of violent extremists," he said.

Pickler reported from Washington.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 136 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(136)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Venus1 wrote:
If Romney is elected president, he will start wars everywhere!! He is a Hot Head!!! The last person we need in this volatile world!!! Vote!!!!
on September 12,2012 | 05:22AM
Dawg wrote:
Amen.
on September 12,2012 | 05:34AM
allie wrote:
True..he lacks experience and is controlled by the same Israeli crowd that duped poor old Bush into wars we never should have fought and which brought us low.
on September 12,2012 | 06:32AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
And Obama had experience when he got in?
on September 12,2012 | 09:33AM
allie wrote:
he does now
on September 12,2012 | 12:12PM
Anonymous wrote:
Obama praised and encouraged the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt! Now they have come back to roost in Obama's Embassy! Obama through Hillary, sided with the 'rebels' in Libya and now they have murdered our Ambassador!

Obama has been bragging about killing Bin Laden by repeating the bumper sticker slogan "GM is alive and Osama is dead!" If Obama is So Concerned with Feelings in the Muslim World, Why is He Bragging So Much About Killing Osama?

By "spiking the ball" for political purposes, Obama is the one who killed our ambassador and creating new wars in the Middle East!


on September 12,2012 | 12:42PM
tiki886 wrote:
In Egypt at the embassy yesterday, the protesters were all shouting, "We're all Osama's, Obama. We're all Osama's, Obama." There are millions of Osamas, Obama. So we might even conclude, ladies and gentlemen, that if we're gonna accept this notion that hurt feelings inspire terrorism, then maybe Obama is responsible for this, and ultimately maybe the blame falls to him.
on September 12,2012 | 12:56PM
312guy wrote:
but it was okay for bush to fly on to the aircraft carrier and say mission accomplished with the fall of iraq, hmmmmmm
on September 12,2012 | 09:08PM
tiki886 wrote:
Hmmmm? Was Obama smokin dope and snortin coke at the time Bush said mission accomplished?
on September 12,2012 | 10:02PM
jomama wrote:
Check it out - now Israel is apologizing, uh I mean "distancing" itself from the video. Obama must be rubbing off on Netanyahu. Next Romney will criticize them for being soft.
on September 12,2012 | 10:42PM
Ronin006 wrote:
Yes, and it all is bad.
on September 12,2012 | 05:32PM
SteveToo wrote:
I'm over 69 so I can call the president "boy" w/out it being racial. Obama's in over his head and the "boy" is bringing the nation down w/him.
on September 12,2012 | 04:38PM
tiki886 wrote:
The 'boy' was Choomin too much dope when he was at Punahou. It has affected his ability to lead. Oh, I forgot he leads from behind or not at all.
on September 12,2012 | 10:04PM
cabot17 wrote:
Romney seems to think that attacking others' religious beliefs is an "American value." He would be truly dangerous to the entire world if he ever became president.
on September 12,2012 | 08:19AM
allie wrote:
yup
on September 12,2012 | 09:28AM
Ronin006 wrote:
Cabot17 and allie, you just do not get it. The American value is in the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution. You might want to read it because it contains the protection that allows you to say whatever you want in these blogs.
on September 12,2012 | 12:07PM
allie wrote:
Nobody said anything different hon. But why did this Israeli citizen post the bad video knowing it would lead to more bloodshed and chaos? What was he up to?
on September 12,2012 | 12:13PM
Ronin006 wrote:
If nobody said anything different, please explain why you agreed with cabot17 saying Romney thinks attacking others' religious beliefs in an "American value." As repugnant as it may be, the Bill of Rights gives Americans the right to say whatever they want about someone else’s religion. It is called free speech. And aren't you rushing to judging by saying an Israeli citizen posted the video? Latest reports say Sam Bacile, the alleged producer of the film, is not Jewish and that the name is a pseudonym. Who knows what he is up to, but I do know this: If he had made a film of someone masturbating with a crucifix or some such thing, most Americans would not have noticed and would not have cared less. It is only when something negative is said about Islam or Muslims before everyone rises up in arms.
on September 12,2012 | 02:32PM
hawaiikone wrote:
allie is simply a child that spouts some pretty silly stuff. Most are amused by her antics but don't give her any credibility.
on September 12,2012 | 03:21PM
Highinthesierras wrote:
Hey, cutting through all this are the facts, the US is allowing Iran to develop NUKES, these will be passed on to Islamic radicals who will use human carriers to deliver NUKES to US cities. And, in response, Barry says, don't criticize religious beliefs of others, is he missing the point or what?
on September 12,2012 | 05:05PM
Highinthesierras wrote:
Lie
on September 12,2012 | 05:09PM
primowarrior wrote:
I think cabot17 and allie do get it. Yes, freedom of speech may be a basic American right, but whatever the President of the United States, or anyone who aspires to that office, says has far reaching effects that will impact this country and others. Good judgement is a requirement of that position, and so far Romney has not shown that he has it.
on September 12,2012 | 12:25PM
hawaiikone wrote:
So you think Obama shows this good judgment by appeasing muslims? Quoting from the quoran and bowing to leaders? It's been done before, and never works.
on September 12,2012 | 03:23PM
primowarrior wrote:
It's been done before? Oh, you're talking about when GW Bush apologized to Muslims. Now I recall that.
on September 12,2012 | 05:05PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Remember a guy named Chamberlain?
on September 13,2012 | 04:51AM
tiki886 wrote:
Obama condemned Romney and 'apologized' twice before he condemned the terrorists for killing our Ambassador.
on September 12,2012 | 07:36PM
WKAMA wrote:
With freedom comes responsibility.
on September 12,2012 | 12:27PM
Highinthesierras wrote:
Right, the first responsibility is to protect the US. Do you really believe Iran will not provide NUKES to terrorists? Do you really believe the terrorists are not willing to send suicide carriers to our cities? Barry wants to ride one issue folks back to the White House. JOBS and SECURITY should be front and center, not Barry's parade of social issues.
on September 12,2012 | 05:09PM
Kuniarr wrote:
A comment based on seems to think is just baloney from the imagination of a Democrat.
on September 12,2012 | 10:27PM
Highinthesierras wrote:
Oh sure, let's just let Iran have nukes, then let them hand them on the Islamic extremists. Hey folks, we don't want to hear it, but we ARE at war! and if we allow our enemy to obtain nukes we are ostriches
on September 12,2012 | 10:13AM
Anonymous wrote:
Obama praised and encouraged the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt! Now they have come back to roost in Obama's Embassy! Obama through Hillary, sided with the 'rebels' in Libya and now they have murdered our Ambassador!

Obama has been bragging about killing Bin Laden by repeating the bumper sticker slogan "GM is alive and Osama is dead!" If Obama is So Concerned with Feelings in the Muslim World, Why is He Bragging So Much About Killing Osama?

By "spiking the ball" for political purposes, Obama is the one who killed our ambassador and creating new wars in the Middle East!


on September 12,2012 | 12:41PM
tiki886 wrote:
In Egypt at the embassy yesterday, the protesters were all shouting, "We're all Osama's, Obama. We're all Osama's, Obama." There are millions of Osamas, Obama. So we might even conclude, ladies and gentlemen, that if we're gonna accept this notion that hurt feelings inspire terrorism, then maybe Obama is responsible for this, and ultimately maybe the blame falls to him.
on September 12,2012 | 12:54PM
primowarrior wrote:
Fox News poll now has Obama leading Romney 48-43. Fox News! In other news, Ryan has started running ads in his district for his Congressional race. Looks like he's turning to plan B
on September 12,2012 | 05:17PM
Kuniarr wrote:
The US can not behave like the civil rights movement of Martin Luther King, Jr. in the international arena which Democrats are wont to do.
on September 12,2012 | 10:24PM
Amosilatus wrote:
This is not the appropriate time to make comments such as Romney has. It's a sensitive issue and should be handled with utmost care, and should not be used for any political statements against the president. This is another example of Romney's lack of people skills and common sense when it comes to foreign relations.
on September 12,2012 | 05:52AM
OldDiver wrote:
Totally agree. Using the deaths of Americans for political purposes is despicable.
on September 12,2012 | 06:19AM
allie wrote:
Look deeper...who put out this film knowing it would cause fury and greater damage to America? Look behind the curtain.
on September 12,2012 | 06:33AM
tiki886 wrote:
In Egypt at the embassy yesterday, the protesters were all shouting, "We're all Osama's, Obama. We're all Osama's, Obama." There are millions of Osamas, Obama. So we might even conclude, ladies and gentlemen, that if we're gonna accept this notion that hurt feelings inspire terrorism, then maybe Obama is responsible for this, and ultimately maybe the blame falls to him. This may be in response to Obama's "spiking the ball" and the DNC's slogan, "GM is alive and Osama is DEAD!" It's the democrats, not the movie that killed our Ambassador!
on September 12,2012 | 01:03PM
group22 wrote:
So tell me...what's behind the curtain? You seem to know.
on September 12,2012 | 01:32PM
thanks4reading wrote:
Romney: Say anything or do anything to be president. During times of crises, americans come together to support our president. We don't exploit it by telling half truths for political gain. For the past few days, Romney has act is a disgraceful manner.
on September 12,2012 | 06:15AM
HOSSANA wrote:
Let me temper my comments by saying that, as President of the U.S., Obama should have been the first person to make a response in regard to the attack on the American embassy and ambassador to Libya. By not doing so, he has revealed a weak link in his armor and, for that matter, his foreign policy, by not taking an aggressive stance to demonstrate to that small minority responsible for that blatant act of aggression against the U.S. that this type of violence against the U.S will not be tolerated and the perpetrators will be hunted down and brought to justice. I do hope the death of the Ambassador and the other American officials did not die in vain and that the families and relatives of the victims can know that retribution will be meted out in due time.
on September 12,2012 | 06:34AM
geralddeheer wrote:
Not taking an aggressive stance? Weak link in the armor? What universe do you live in? Let me temper my comments by saying that, like the Republicans in Tampa, you make no mention of the thousands in our military have served with honor in Iraq, Afghanistan, and (covertly) Libya. 2 Wars, countless missions; and you say Obama isn't aggressive? Get real.
on September 12,2012 | 06:47AM
johncdechon wrote:
You get a clue...there are no "wars" going on. Not even close to what a REAL war should be! Just more pansy conflicts with tragic (for American soldiers) rules-of-engagements -- Americans being put in harm's way but told not to be aggressive or "provoke" anyone. What a disgrace. O b a m a is a pansy Prez. Period.
on September 12,2012 | 07:00AM
NITRO08 wrote:
Would you rather have Mitt starting another war, the republicans love war so ther defense contractor buddy's can make more money. Don't be stupid you think you know more about forign policy than the white house I DON'T THINK SO!
on September 12,2012 | 07:34AM
tiki886 wrote:
Right. And you think if Obama 'apologizes' the terrorists are going to "feel" persuaded to be more nice? Obama is weak like a limp noodle. He has no hair on his balls.
on September 12,2012 | 01:15PM
allie wrote:
Bush let America be attacked on his watch. Obama protected America. Republicans are very weak on defense
on September 12,2012 | 08:21AM
tiki886 wrote:
Wasn't Obama smokin dope and snortin coke at that time?
on September 12,2012 | 01:48PM
geralddeheer wrote:
John: If you have the courage, send your post to the families of the war dead. Tell them it was a panzy war(s). By the way, we have had rules of engagement for Libya since the earliest days of the Republic. In fact the US Marine Hymm mentions it. Even back then, our forces could fight pirates, but were not directly authorized to engage in regime change. In any case, if the enemy is firing back it's war.
on September 12,2012 | 11:03AM
johncdechon wrote:
It's true, there is no such "war" ging on today. Not a "hot" war in the Sand Box, nor the co-called "war on crime," or the "war on drugs," or the "war on terrorism." Lots of TALK, but no WAR. But let Bush and Obama explain why their family members died (and no, they weren't "heroes" -- another overused and abused word nowadays). As for you, you can't define "war" either, so you don't even know enough about the subject even to be in the conversation. As for rules, there ARE no rules in a REAL war -- you win any way you can, period. Nothing FAIR or HUMANE about it. Could you (geralddeheer) be any MORE ignorant? Don't answer, you probably could, but it was a rhetorical question. Moving on...
on September 12,2012 | 01:12PM
geralddeheer wrote:
I challenge you to a Public Debate about War. Since I am so ignorant, it will be a cakewalk for you. So, ready to take on this piece of cake in public. When you agree, I will be happy to contact Olelo and arrange for a hour time slot, prime time. Let's do this.
on September 12,2012 | 06:10PM
NITRO08 wrote:
NO MITT WAS GRAND STANDING CAUSE HE IS LOSING!
on September 12,2012 | 07:37AM
allie wrote:
yup
on September 12,2012 | 08:22AM
hawaiikone wrote:
nope
on September 12,2012 | 03:27PM
allie wrote:
weak? Romneyt is weak and controlled by the same Neo-Cons and Israeli pressure groups that took us to two distastous wars which are responsible for economic disaster here at home.
on September 12,2012 | 08:20AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Obama is a just a whipping boy to the Vladimir Putin, Iran's and China's prime mninisters. Obama does not know it but the principles of Martin Luther King, Jr. applied in the international arena is dangerous to the national security of the US.
on September 12,2012 | 10:32PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
I think the problem with your statement is that at the time Mitt let loose, the facts on the ground were not fully known. It was as if he wanted to show he was a "leader" and get out the first statement. I suspect had he waited to know the full extent of the situation, that an American Ambassador and his staff had been murdered, then he would have tempered his remarks. Obama and Secretary Clinton did the right thing, gathered complete information and made appropriate statements condemning the attacks based the known facts. I hope Mitt learns that being first out with a statement is not necessarity a good thing. More so, it seemed to many obvious that he was trying to capitalize politically on the attacks on our diplomatic missions, something that will not go over well with many voters.
on September 12,2012 | 09:35AM
allie wrote:
agree
on September 12,2012 | 12:14PM
tiki886 wrote:
Mitt Romney was responding to a statement issued by the embassy in Cairo that condemned "efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims." Not the killings at the Libyan Embassy.
on September 12,2012 | 02:05PM
312guy wrote:
tiki886 I have a bridge for sale very cheap lol
on September 12,2012 | 09:16PM
thanks4reading wrote:
obama is know for getting the facts. Analyzing the facts. Developing a strategy before speaking on a subject. In other words, he thinks first and speaks later. In diplomacy, what is important is not how fast we give a verbal response, but how fast we respond to a crises. Before speaking, obama had already sent in troops to libya, secured other US posts and was working with the egyptian and libyan governments. He was not trying to gain a political advantage. Rushing into a conclusion without the facts got us into the Iraq war. That did not work out too well. Finally, if those guys in the photo think they are safe, let them remember Bin Laden
on September 12,2012 | 01:25PM
312guy wrote:
our president responding like a president should
on September 12,2012 | 09:18PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Our president is a whipping boy acting like Martin Luther King, Jr. in the international arena.
on September 12,2012 | 10:37PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Those who think the demise of Bin Laden is from the work of Obama are all mistaken because it was GW Bush who integrated civilian and military intelligence into Homeland Security. Obama is merely harvesting the fruit of the work of GW Bush.


on September 12,2012 | 10:36PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
So let me understand - Some nut case in California makes a nut case film, then more nut cases in Egypt and Libya go nuts, kill our Ambassador and his men and burn the consulate - and its the Presidents fault? Come on Romney, to try and use this tragedy to score political points is despicable.
on September 12,2012 | 06:58AM
NITRO08 wrote:
MITT SHOULD STFU!
on September 12,2012 | 07:35AM
allie wrote:
yup..but he lacks basic decency
on September 12,2012 | 09:26AM
allie wrote:
cheeseball is one akamai guy
on September 12,2012 | 12:14PM
tiki886 wrote:
It's the fault of Obama's foreign policy. He has no foreign policy. Obama's foreign policy consists of a white flag.
on September 12,2012 | 02:08PM
thanks4reading wrote:
I agree. He waved the white flag when the Somalia pirates captured their fist american vessel (sorry he actually gave the green light to kill the pirates). He waved the white flag with Bin Laden (my mistake again). He waived the white flag when he got both russia and china to agree to sanctions against Iran (bus tried for eight years to no avail). He waived the white flag by using drones to kill dozens of top Al Qaida officials in at least a dozen countries (he killed more in the first 8 months than bush in eight years and bush had the low hanging fruit). He waived the white flag when he insulted the British at the Olympics (oh I just googled this on, my bad it was ramney). He gave in to Kadhafi (of again I am sorry for the wrong fact, turns out kadhafi is dead). IF THIS IS WHITE FLAG WAVING, WE NEED MORE OF IT. You need to stop watching fox and start reading.
on September 12,2012 | 04:34PM
tiki886 wrote:
Ha, ha, ha..."green light" to Somali pirates. Who wouldn't pull the trigger on these thugs. Bin Laden? Obama would never have had the chance to make the call if it wasn't for the tactics put in place by Bush. Obama was against water boarding and wanted to close down Guantanamo! What a hypocrite! Obama doesn't have the balls to shut down Guantanamo because he knows it would cause more problems. oops! Eric Holder wanted to sue them into submission, instead he let them go to join the Jihad once again! Russia and China know Obama is a wimp! They are not afraid of him and they don't respect him.

Obama is not only a commie, he is part French!


on September 12,2012 | 07:20PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
I guess your "white flag" statement would be marginally credible except for the fact that Osama is sleeping with the fishes and Gaddafi is worm food. Then again don't let the fact get in the way.
on September 12,2012 | 04:59PM
tiki886 wrote:
Yeah right. Obama is so brave that he and his administration LEAKED classified information that put more of our soldiers in harms way for his own selfish political gain! Obama sucks! He blows big time!
on September 12,2012 | 07:23PM
markat wrote:
Romney suffers from chronic foot-in-mouth disease. This guy is such a loose cannon. First he tries to rekindle the Cold-War with Russia. Then he insults Brittain's handling of the Olympics to glorify himself. And now, he shows his lack of humanity by politicizing an event that should be treated with neutrality and respect. He's not what I would look for in a leader. He's more like the embarrassing uncle you try to hide from your friends.
on September 12,2012 | 07:34AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
Rommney and Biden should be put together to start a morning radio talk show. Could be funny.
on September 12,2012 | 09:36AM
tiki886 wrote:
Obama is a limp noodle compared to Romney.
on September 12,2012 | 01:53PM
808Cindy wrote:
Mitt Romney is wrong to come out with these comments! As Americans this is a time to bond. I like the statements that President Obama spoke. It emplyfies who we are as a Country. If Romney is trying to get votes, I believe he just blew it !!!
on September 12,2012 | 07:51AM
allie wrote:
Mitt lacks any foreign policy experience and is dominated by israeli interests who are using him as they used Bush. Same old stuff hon.
on September 12,2012 | 08:22AM
DAGR81 wrote:
Has Obama gained any meaningful experience since being elected President? Time to go to class, allie.
on September 12,2012 | 09:47AM
allie wrote:
I am in class posting in the back of the lecture hall! SA needs me
on September 12,2012 | 12:15PM
hawaiikone wrote:
We all need you for comic relief.
on September 12,2012 | 03:32PM
tiki886 wrote:
Here's where being a community organizer comes in handy with foreign policy. He's gonna convince the Muslim Brotherhood to stuff the ballots boxes for him.
on September 12,2012 | 01:56PM
santravisco wrote:
TRUTH HURTS
on September 12,2012 | 08:08AM
allie wrote:
yup
on September 12,2012 | 09:27AM
primowarrior wrote:
According to the story, the President was told about the attacks in the afternoon, then told that the ambassador was unaccounted for that evening. Sounds to me like President Obama did the responsible thing and waited until he had more information before making his statement, rather than jumping the gun like Romney did. Four Americans are dead, and Romney uses it as a campaign issue. This just adds to my distrust of him.
on September 12,2012 | 08:27AM
allie wrote:
good points. A real president needs to be much more cautious adn fact-based than an outside candidate who can say anything and not have to be responsible.
on September 12,2012 | 09:27AM
Ronin006 wrote:
primewarrior and allie, no President of the United States should wait for all facts to be known before condemning an attack on an embassy, consulate or on Americans. Condemnation should be immediate. Do you think waiting for more information before making a statement will change the fact that an attack occurred?
on September 12,2012 | 12:41PM
primowarrior wrote:
Immediate condemnation without all the facts can put you into an untenable situation. It is an irresponsible and dangerous path to follow, especially for the President of the United States.
on September 12,2012 | 01:09PM
Ronin006 wrote:
Do you realize what you are saying? You are in effect saying that immediate condemnation of an attack on our embassy and the killing of Americans s irresponsible and dangerous because the attacks may be justified. Unbelievable. That is something I would expect an al Qaeda spokesman to say. There is no justification for such attacks and waiting to condemn the attacks will not create them. Oh, wait. I get it. The President needs to wait to provide time to prepare an apology for the US causing the attacks.
on September 12,2012 | 01:43PM
primowarrior wrote:
No, Ronin, that is not what i am saying. You're reading things into my comment that aren't there. What I am saying is that statements, including condemnation, that come from the President of the United States are far reaching and can have a major impact. Therefore, the President needs to make sure that he has all of the facts together before he says anything. As I'm sure you know, events were unfolding in Egypt and Libya very quickly, and the information coming out of there may or may not have been reliable and had to be verified. If the President had made an immediate statement without all the facts, he could have done more damage and inflamed the situation even more, and put more American lives at risk.
on September 12,2012 | 02:04PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Well, your comment did sound just like that. What possible information could there be that would place us in an "untenable" situation after we expressed condemnation for an attack on our embassy?
on September 12,2012 | 03:37PM
Ronin006 wrote:
primowarrior, the only fact needed to condemn the attack was the simple fact that an attack occurred. Nothing else was needed to be verified for an immediate condemnation. You do not need to know who did it or why. That comes later.
on September 12,2012 | 04:08PM
primowarrior wrote:
hawaiikone: My comment sounded just like that? Where in my comment did I say that the "attacks may be justified?" What kind of information could put the President into an untenable situation? That would have depended on what the President had to say. He certainly would not have just said "I condemn these attacks" without addressing pertinent aspects of the situation, and I think he did the right thing by making sure that he had all the facts first, unlike Romney, who did jump the gun and now faces attacks by even those in his own party.
on September 12,2012 | 04:37PM
primowarrior wrote:
OK, Ronin006. The President should have said "I condemn this vile attack. We will pursue the villains to the ends of the earth. That's all, and have a good night."
on September 12,2012 | 04:47PM
hawaiikone wrote:
primo- Romney was criticizing the embassy's comment which was close to apologizing for the release of the film, which in turn reflects the unclear leadership position. Regardless of the incident's facts, the statement verged on justification for the resultant violence. That is the essence of Romney's concern, recognition that a clear constant message of strong consequences is preferable to unpredictable responses from our leadership. Obama's history of muslim appeasement has sent an unprecedented message to those who would destroy us.
on September 12,2012 | 06:07PM
primowarrior wrote:
hawaiikone: -Tuesday morning in Egypt, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo released a statement stating it "condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims." This statement was released after protests erupted in other parts of the Arab world over the offensive video. -After protesters began to breach the walls of the embassy, the embassy Tweeted another statement reiterating the first. Was it an apology? I suppose that this could be endlessly debated, but it sounds to me like our people in the embassy were concerned for their safety, especially after the embassy walls were breached and protesters were inside the compound. Perhaps they were trying to communicate to those outside that they were not at fault. They did this without the Administration's approval, but I can not imagine the terror I would have felt in their place, or what I would have done if I feared for my life as they must have. I think it was wrong of Romney to try to paint that statement as a lack of leadership and appeasement to Muslims on the part of Obama.
on September 12,2012 | 06:51PM
hawaiikone wrote:
I think we're really not that far apart. A particular statement has to be taken within the scope of the prevailing attitude. I agree the atmosphere inside the embassy must have been fearful, justifiably so. My sense of Romney's concern revolves around the overall atmosphere Obama has created with our relationships in the area, with a feeling that we can be attacked with little consequence for any perceived offense. Whether or not a huge military is the answer is another subject, as history seems to say this fight will never be won. Despite that, do we really have any choice but to respond?
on September 12,2012 | 08:04PM
busterb wrote:
It's been a few hours now, did Romney issue his latest opinion?
on September 12,2012 | 08:41AM
NITRO08 wrote:
Yep Mitt is FLIP FLOPPING HIM SELF RIGHT OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE! DA FLIP FLOP MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on September 12,2012 | 09:12AM
allie wrote:
good...he really is as ignorant as he sounds
on September 12,2012 | 09:28AM
hawaiikone wrote:
how's that rice coming along?
on September 12,2012 | 03:38PM
tiki886 wrote:
He said, "GM is alive and Osama is DEAD!" Oh wait that was Obama that said that.
on September 12,2012 | 02:09PM
312guy wrote:
tiki886 can you see russua from your backyard lol
on September 12,2012 | 09:28PM
hawaiikone wrote:
where's russua? new country? stay away, you're in over your head....
on September 13,2012 | 03:59PM
boshio wrote:
In the best interest of America, Mitt should keep his mouth zipped. He has no credibility, nor trust with foreign policies. But he is good with changing the meaning of LYING which is now called: Freedom Of Speech.
on September 12,2012 | 09:39AM
tiki886 wrote:
Obama should keep his mouth zipped instead of revealing classified information to the enemy that puts our soldiers and allies at risk for political gains!!
on September 12,2012 | 07:26PM
Ronin006 wrote:
The attacks on US sovereign territory in Libya and Egypt and the killing of our diplomats is a glaring example to the failure of Obama’s foreign policy. The US has known for many months that the radical anti-US Muslim Brotherhood was gaining control in those two countries, but the Obama administration did nothing to provide better security for embassies and consulates and their employees. Romney’s criticism is appropriate and fully justified. And in case you do not know it, an attacked on a US embassy or consulate is considered an attack on US sovereign territory, and is an act of war under international law. Let’s see how Obama responds to these acts of war other than apologizing to Muslims for a YouTube video ridiculing Islam and the Prophet Muhammad.
on September 12,2012 | 11:00AM
Paulh808 wrote:
Thanks Ronin, at least we have one sane person on this thread. We need to flush this administration down the toilet with the rest of our waste. The left wouldn't know a real leader if it hit them upside their hollow heads.
on September 12,2012 | 11:34AM
WKAMA wrote:
Are you saying we should now go to war?
on September 12,2012 | 12:21PM
group22 wrote:
If somebody attacks us we should fight and defend ourselves. The US is being bullied because the world knows Obama is nothing but an appeaser.
on September 12,2012 | 01:39PM
tiki886 wrote:
Everybody knows Obama will be waving the White Flag tomorrow. Four dead and Obama flies off to VEGAS baby! Need that campaign cash. Skrew the diplomats.
on September 12,2012 | 02:13PM
Ronin006 wrote:
I am not saying we should go to war against Libya or Egypt, but international law gives the US the right to respond to acts of war. Short of actual war, the US can take action against Libya and Egypt like seizing assets in the US, cutting off all foreign aid, denying requests for student visas, trade sanctions, and the like until we have guarantees from the two governments that they will protect our embassies, consulates and our citizens. Or do you prefer that we simply turn the other cheek?
on September 12,2012 | 01:57PM
shshimizu wrote:
Funny that only a few repubs have taken a similar stance as Mitt. Even McCain has been pretty much silent about this. A quick response doesn't show leadership or showing what America stands for. It shows stupidity and no knowledge of foreign diplomacy. If Mitt was in charge he would start a World War.
on September 12,2012 | 01:53PM
tiki886 wrote:
And Obama invites more attacks because he has a limp noodle!

He backed the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and now they are doing a "Jimmy Carter" on our embassy. Obama backed the Libyan rebels and now they have killed our ambassador! What a MAROON Obama is.


on September 12,2012 | 07:29PM
CriticalReader wrote:
Republicans just can't wait for the next hostile attack on the US government (we all know that misplaced glee they must have felt due to an attack on American soil, and the death of an American Ambassador) - repeat, we all know it, and we also know that it is sick). At a time when the US must stand, and appear united against such acts, Mr. Romney attacks our Commander in Chief. Patriot or Opportunist? Sociopath or empathetic when it comes to loss of human life (his argument appears to be that the Ambassador's death was the Ambassador's own fault)? Appropriate or inappropriate in terms of international diplomacy (you want 4 or more years of war with the Islamic world under Romney?)? This latest gaffe by Romney demonstrates the quality of the man as a leader, and of those who are advising him.
on September 12,2012 | 11:30AM
allie wrote:
Republicans hate America and are being helped by Israeli pressure groups to bring us to our knees
on September 12,2012 | 12:16PM
tiki886 wrote:
Wrong. Commies hate America and Obama was born to a father and mother who were commies. His mentor Frank Marshall Davis was a commie. Obama has surrounded himself with commies in his administration. Commies want to change America into another Communist Regime because it is 'they' who hate America. If you choke on having to repeat the Pledge of Allegiance, you may be a commie.
on September 12,2012 | 01:36PM
CriticalReader wrote:
tikit886: Dude, did you ever notice that you're being followed whenever you're outside of your house? You gotta stop talking bad about commies. They're watching you. . . .
on September 12,2012 | 05:04PM
tiki886 wrote:
Commies are allergic to the .44 magnum semi auto Israeli Desert Eagle that I carry.
on September 12,2012 | 07:32PM
tiki886 wrote:
I also have a Mossberg pistol grip shotgun that when combined with my superior skill at rapid pump action reloading can dispatch many commies that try to threaten my safety.

However, the only thing that really scares me is if the commies hire Gloria Allred to try and sue me into submission.


on September 12,2012 | 07:56PM
copperwire9 wrote:
It must be a tiny one, tiki.
on September 12,2012 | 08:46PM
tiki886 wrote:
How lame. If you are going to insult me, do it like you mean it not like the limp commie noodle that Obama is.
on September 12,2012 | 10:15PM
tiki886 wrote:
Romney was just pointing out what a weak noodle Obama is because he apologizes to our enemies when they kill our Ambassador. Obama has no hair on his balls.
on September 12,2012 | 01:38PM
entrkn wrote:
Loose lips sink ships Mitt... and everyone knows that but you.
on September 12,2012 | 11:48AM
Ronin006 wrote:
Entrkn, you are spewing nonsense. What does Romney’s criticism of the Obama Administrations response to this attack on America have to do with loose lips sinking ships? What secrets has Romney revealed? There are a lot of loose lips in America, but they belong to Obama and others in his administration that could not get in front of TV cameras fast enough to tell the world exactly how we got bin Laden and exactly how we got the underwear bomber in Yemen, and that he actually was a double agent working for the US. I could go on, but I think you get my drift. Those are the kinds of loose lips that get Americans killed by our enemies.
on September 12,2012 | 12:27PM
boshio wrote:
ronin 006? lighten up, don't hate yourself so much. Go get a life and have a nice day.
on September 12,2012 | 12:47PM
Ronin006 wrote:
How can anyone "lighten up" when our embassies and consulates are being attacked and Americans are being killed? You probably said the same thing following the attacks on 911. One has to wonder on whose side you are on.
on September 12,2012 | 02:03PM
312guy wrote:
i thought the navy seal wrote the book not the president
on September 12,2012 | 09:34PM
tiki886 wrote:
Obama praised and encouraged the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt! Now they have come back to roost in Obama's Embassy! Obama through Hillary, sided with the 'rebels' in Libya and now they have murdered our Ambassador!

Obama has been bragging about killing Bin Laden by repeating the bumper sticker slogan "GM is alive and Osama is dead!" If Obama is So Concerned with Feelings in the Muslim World, Why is He Bragging So Much About Killing Osama?

By "spiking the ball" for political purposes, Obama is the one who killed our ambassador and creating new wars in the Middle East!


on September 12,2012 | 12:51PM
tiki886 wrote:
In Egypt at the embassy yesterday, the protesters were all shouting, "We're all Osama's, Obama. We're all Osama's, Obama." There are millions of Osamas, Obama. So we might even conclude, ladies and gentlemen, that if we're gonna accept this notion that hurt feelings inspire terrorism, then maybe Obama is responsible for this, and ultimately maybe the blame falls to him.
on September 12,2012 | 12:59PM
SteveToo wrote:
Speak softly and carry a big stick. That's all we need to do.
on September 12,2012 | 04:40PM
ufried wrote:
READING ALL THESE POST, YOU WOULD THINK ROMNEY SHOT THOSE DIPLOMATIC OFFICIALS. YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK!! 1. PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH 2. PROACTIVE NOT REACTIVE 3. DID WE FORGET THE INFAMOUS "BEER SUMMIT" WHERE OUR LEAD FROM BEHIND PREZ DID NOT WAIT FOR ALL THE FACTS WHEN HE BLAMED THE POLICE OFFICER. 4. ITS AN ACT OF WAR TO ATTACK A FOREIGN EMBASSY 5. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! THEY HATE US PERIOD, THEY COULD CARE LESS WHOSE PRESIDENT, SOONER YOU REALIZE THAT,THE BETTER...
on September 12,2012 | 04:43PM
ufried wrote:
THE LONGER YOU KEEP PLAYING NICE WITH THESE IDIOTS THE FASTER IT WILL TAKE TO REACH OUR SHORES!!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! THEY HATE US FOR WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE STAND FOR... AT LEAST WHAT I AND THE FEW SANE POSTERS HERE BELIEVE IN. FREEDOM AND LIBERTY FOR ALL YOU LIBS... SEMPER FI
on September 12,2012 | 04:51PM
nomakeshame wrote:
Anybody see the similarities between Bush on 9/11/2001 and Obama on 9/11/2012. In both instances, Americans were attacked on U.S. soil, both took their time responding to the events, Obama waiting for all the facts before issuing a statement and Bush, well, we all know he was reading a book then he proceeded to issue a statement, while the twin towers were still burning, about finding the people who did the attacks, (little did we know he was actually talking about Iraq and not Afghanistan). Bush waited 26 days to respond, now the Obama haters are on here expecting Obama to respond right away. Honestly, if you want a war with those Middle Eastern countries, please do us all a favor and go over there right now and fight for your right to insist you are right and they are wrong, you would fit in well with the other fanaticals.
on September 12,2012 | 07:24PM
tiki886 wrote:
We're not talking about an immediate military response. We are talking about the verbal response that both Presidents made or have not made. Bush replied, "I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon." Obama said, "try wait...I gots to go to VEGAS to get more campaign dollars!"
on September 12,2012 | 08:09PM
Kalli wrote:
Romney has a lot of common sense and acts Presidential unlike the incompetent boob we have now.
on September 12,2012 | 09:25PM
Kuniarr wrote:
To a democrat, nothing Romney does is sufficient.
on September 12,2012 | 10:39PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Bionic Reporter
Needing a new knee

Warrior Beat
Monday musings

Small Talk
Burning money

Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan