Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 17, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 5 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Prep coaches must take concussion course

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 11:34 a.m. HST, Sep 12, 2012



The Hawaii High School Athletic Association is requiring all coaches participating in its state championship events to complete an online concussion education course, the HHSAA announced today.

“It is the responsibility of our coaches and administrators to not only prepare our student athletes for victory, but to provide a safe environment as well,” said HHSAA Executive Director Chris Chun.

The requirement was passed by the HHSAA board last month.

The free 30-minute course titled "Concussion In Sports – What You Need to Know" is available on the National Federation of High School Associations learning center website, nfhslearn.com, the HHSAA said. The course  is a collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The HHSAA said coaches who fail to complete the course will not be allowed on the sideline during the event until the course has been successfully completed.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 5 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(5)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
sergia wrote:
I believe all coaches, volunteers, even "club" coaches should be trained or educated in injury related sports/games. Many children, teenagers are subjected to injury either not ready for sports or trained improperly. Also competition amongst children/teens/adults are can be injured unintentionally.
on September 12,2012 | 11:34AM
btom wrote:
More liability for many volunteer or minimum paid coaches. Hope the coaches are not having to pay for this course. Don't all high schools have trainers?
on September 12,2012 | 11:55AM
eastside808 wrote:
So who will be monitoring compliance with this rule, the ADs and head coaches? The implementation and compliance question may also expose the coaches to lawsuits by the parents of the players. I dont think I would want to coach in this type of environment knowing that if I fail to recognize some of the concussion symptoms I could be sued.
on September 12,2012 | 03:20PM
CriticalReader wrote:
There's one answer to the imagined problem you pose. Be vigilant and err on the side of absolute caution (do that, and no problem).. I say "imagined", because you are and I can't (imagine) how this is a "problem". Your argument seems to be that coaches shouldn't be made to either take a course, or be responsible for dealing with things when a potential concussion arises. I would suggest that if a coach is unwilling to take on such responsibility, that coach not only should not coach to assuage their fears, but also, not coach because their priorities are screwed up.
on September 12,2012 | 04:36PM
40black wrote:
this is a good course for coaches to take, just like the OIA football refs need to take a course on correct officiating.
on September 12,2012 | 06:45PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News