POSTED: 10:29 a.m. HST, Oct 01, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 01:33 a.m. HST, Oct 02, 2012
The historic McCandless building in downtown was evacuated briefly Monday morning when smoke was reported in the five-story building.
At 8:56 a.m., firefighters were called to investigate a report of smoke at 925 Bethel St.
The problem was initially traced to an equipment malfunction, possibly the elevator, in a 5th floor maintenance room.
No one was affected by the smoke and no flames were reported, said Capt. Terry Seeling, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.
Occupants were allowed back into the building just before 9:30 a.m.
The building was erected in 1906 by John and Link McCandless. A fifth story was added in 1914.