Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Bank of Hawaii branch closed after Manoa Marketplace fire

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 10:59 a.m. HST, Oct 15, 2012



The Bank of Hawaii branch at the Manoa Marketplace is closed for repairs today following a fire at the Manoa Marketplace on Sunday.

The fire began in a lunch area of a second-floor nail salon and forced the evacuation of a building and nearby farmer’s market at Manoa Marketplace.

Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said employees were using a gas stove near bottles of acetone, which generated a huge fireball.

A female employee suffered minor, non-life threatening burns and was taken by ambulance to a hospital for treatment, Seelig said.

Fire officials took about two and a half hours to control the fire, which broke out at just before 9:50 a.m.

Damage to the nail salon was estimated at $500,000.

Major water damage occurred on the first floor of Bank of Hawaii, when a second-floor water supply line melted, Seelig said.

Bank of Hawaii spokesman Stafford Kiguchi said the branch will be closed today and possibly longer, depending on the extent of the damage, which includes the ceiling, floor and some equipment.

Kiguchi said customers should use branches in Moiliili, Kaimuki or Waialae-Kahala. The bank is increasing staffing at those branches to deal with the expected increase in traffic.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 6 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(6)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
control wrote:
Welcome to the clueless generation....duh
on October 15,2012 | 05:28AM
loquaciousone wrote:
I guess it's buy lunch next time huh?
on October 15,2012 | 06:47AM
olos73 wrote:
Propane gas stove in a room full of flammable chemicals=disaster. With all the restaurants in the shopping center, why do they have to cook? Besides no income for a while and repairs to the salon, I guess they won't be cooking any meals anymore. Probably in trouble with HFD for fire violations also. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery to the employee that was hurt.
on October 15,2012 | 08:49AM
loquaciousone wrote:
It's called pinching pennies and spending dollars.
on October 15,2012 | 09:24AM
inverse wrote:
If that is the case then use a microwave oven
on October 15,2012 | 09:49AM
Anonymous wrote:
Thank God there is a Fire Station right across the street.....
on October 16,2012 | 12:12AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News