Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Suit: Doctors mistakenly declared Chicago boy dead

By Associated Press


CHICAGO >> The parents of an 8-year-old boy who has had severe brain damage for years have sued a Chicago hospital, alleging that doctors pronounced their son dead, keeping him off his ventilator for hours, even though relatives continued to insist that the boy's eyes and body were still moving.

The lawsuit filed this week by Sheena Lane and Pink Dorsey on behalf of their son, Jaylen Dorsey, accuses Mercy Hospital and Medical Center of negligence in the February incident and alleges that nearly five hours passed before staff agreed to perform a cardiac ultrasound, which showed Jaylen Dorsey's heart was beating.

"You didn't have to be a doctor to see that the heart was pumping blood," the boy's father, Pink Dorsey, said at a news conference Friday.

The hospital denies the lawsuit's allegations, and said in a written statement that Jaylen arrived at the hospital after suffering full cardiac arrest for 25 minutes and doctors treated him for "an extended period of time" before declaring him dead.

"Despite extensive resuscitative efforts, Jaylen did not immediately regain a pulse and no heart activity was noted for several hours," the hospital said. "... While this is a very rare occurrence, extensive resuscitation efforts, medication and young age can result in a patient's heart function returning spontaneously. We hope for continued strength for Jaylen."

At Friday's news conference, the couple said Jaylen has had severe brain damage since age 2 and that his disabilities have kept him bedridden and on a ventilator. His father said that before going to the hospital, Jaylen would smile at family members and could hear them, but that he no longer does. He also said they would see Jaylen smile again "in heaven."

Their lawyers said that because of the ongoing lawsuit, they would not be releasing details about the boy's disabilities and condition.

According to the couple, Jaylen was taken to Mercy Hospital and pronounced dead on Feb. 18 after his mother found him unresponsive.

They say Jaylen's eyes continued to flick open, but that they were told that the lingering effects of medicine were causing that to happen.

"We're not doctors, so we just went along with what they told us," Dorsey said.

So family members began to plan a funeral for the boy.

But when other relatives arrived at the hospital, they gasped when they saw Jaylen's eyes opening, the boy's father said.

The lawsuit says the family had to demand that medical staff conduct more tests and that a cardiac ultrasound finally showed the boy's heart was beating.

His parents are seeking $200,000 in damages. The lawsuit says they suffered hours of "severe emotional distress."

The boy's parents also worry that the hours he was off his respirator while at the hospital may have worsened his condition.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Grimbold wrote:
How come we can comment on this and are not allowed to comment on this outrageous news: Polygamous family finds acceptance in Las Vegas ?
on October 21,2012 | 08:22AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Let me guess...you're not voting for Mitt Romney huh?
on October 22,2012 | 06:59AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
What happened to the boy and his family is really tragic. It appears the hospital did all they could and some unusual occurrence results in them appearing to be negligent. I don't know the whole story but it seems interesting that the lawsuit amount is very low for such a situation. That may be the result of the findings that showed that the hospital did what it was supposed to do. But in the United States medical insurance is very high due to lawsuits against medical facilities. Millions of dollars are lost due to possible doctor's or staff negligence (which will occur as doctors and staff are only human). One can imagine that lawsuits costs the insurance billions each year which are passed on to the consumers. There needs to be some kind of control for lawsuits especially in these times when the cost of medical services go up while the consumers' income goes down. There needs to be tort reform but unfortunately there seems to be a force against such a resolution as each time an effort to do so occurs it is quickly hammered down.
on October 21,2012 | 12:21PM
Breaking News