Quantcast

Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Fire causes $240,000 damage to Aiea house, displaces 4 people

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:38 a.m. HST, Oct 24, 2012


Fire caused about $240,000 damage to an Aiea house Tuesday morning, making four people homeless and killing the family dog.

The cause of the fire at the single-family home, 98-344 Pono St., was accidental due to unattended cooking, said spokesman Capt. Carlton Yamada.

Yamada said the fire caused $200,000 to the structure and $40,000 to contents. The interior of the building was 40 percent heavily damaged by the fire, he said.

The fire, which was reported at 6:22 p.m., spread smoke across the H-1 freeway near Kaonohi Street.

Firefighters had the fire extinguished by 6:56 a.m., Yamada said.

The fire apparently started in the kitchen and spread to the living room and at least one of the bedrooms, Yamada said.

The occupants of the home, an elderly couple and their grandson and great-grandson, were able to escape the fire without injury. Yamada said four people live in the home.

The couple also has two pet dogs, one of which was found dead in a rear bedroom. The wife carried the other dog upon evacuation, Yamada said.

None of the neighboring homes were threatened, though two elderly men in an adjacent home evacuated due to the volume of smoke, Yamada said. The Red Cross was on scene to help the displaced residents. 







 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News