Quantcast

Tuesday, October 21, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Suspect arrested in threat case at Schofield Barracks

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 03:11 a.m. HST, Oct 26, 2012



Police arrested a former soldier suspected in a telephone-threat case that prompted officials at Schofield Barracks to place two elementary schools on the base on lockdown Thursday.

The 24-year-old man was arrested about 3:15 p.m. behind Mendoca Park in Wahiawa, the Army said.

Authorities had been searching for a “high-risk, suspicious individual” after receiving a telephoned threat this morning, U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii announced.

The lockdown has been lifted and students at Solomon Elementary and Hale Kula Elementary were released from school this afternoon, the Army said at 2:39 p.m.

The threatening call was placed at 10:18 a.m. today, the Army said. Details were not immediately disclosed.

Army officials said they confirmed that the threat is a domestic issue between a male suspect and his girlfriend, a Schofield soldier

The man is a former soldier, Army spokeswoman Kayla Overton said.

Asked if the man is armed, Overton said in an email, “We do not have confirmation that he is armed, but we’re treating the situation as (if) he is.”

Schofield Barracks was placed at a heightened state of alert, the Army said. Army, state and federal authorities are searching for the man.

There was no specific threat to any of the schools, the Army said. As a precautionary measure, Solomon and Hale Kula Elementary School were locked down.

The Army asks people to report suspicious activity to 655-7114 or 438-7114.

The U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii Facebook site (www.facebook.com/usaghawaii) will provide updates as available.






 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News