Sunday, July 27, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Candle left burning blamed for fire in home near Hana

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 06:43 a.m. HST, Nov 19, 2012

A burning candle left unattended in a religious shrine caused a fire in a home near Hana Sunday morning, Maui County fire officials said. 

Firefighters were called to a burning building near mile marker 28 in Nahiku on the Hana Highway at 9:11 a.m. and arrived to find smoke billowing from the eaves of a 1,000-square-foot home, a Fire Department spokesman said.

Roughly 15 percent of the building burned, and officials estimate damage at about $5,000.

The couple that lives in the house was not home when the blaze started. The Red Cross is assisting them because they have nowhere else to stay.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze just before 9:30 a.m. 

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
false wrote:
Was George Bush in Hana.?
on November 18,2012 | 07:40PM
Breaking News
Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan

Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War