Quantcast

Saturday, July 26, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 12 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Bruce Willis: Don't infringe on Second Amendment

By Ryan Pearson

AP Entertainment Writer

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:01 a.m. HST, Feb 06, 2013


LOS ANGELES » Bruce Willis says he's against new gun control laws that could infringe on Second Amendment rights. The "Die Hard" star also dismisses any link between Hollywood shootouts and real-life gun violence.

"I think that you can't start to pick apart anything out of the Bill of Rights without thinking that it's all going to become undone," Willis told The Associated Press in a recent interview while promoting his latest film, "A Good Day To Die Hard." ''If you take one out or change one law, then why wouldn't they take all your rights away from you?"

Willis' fifth outing as wise-cracking cop John McClane, due in theaters Feb. 14, comes as his action franchise marks its 25th anniversary. The 57-year-old actor will also be seen firing away at bad guys in the upcoming sequels "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and "Red 2," both due later this year.

But he believes "the real topic is diminished" when observers link Hollywood entertainment with high-profile mass shootings like those last year in Connecticut and Colorado.

"No one commits a crime because they saw a film. There's nothing to support that," Willis said. "We're not making movies about people that have gone berserk, or gone nuts. Those kind of movies wouldn't last very long at all."

Willis added that he doesn't see how additional legislation could prevent future mass shootings.

"It's a difficult thing and I really feel bad for those families," he said. "I'm a father and it's just a tragedy. But I don't know how you legislate insanity. I don't know what you do about it. I don't even know how you begin to stop that."







 Print   Email   Comment | View 12 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(12)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
onevoice82 wrote:
I agree with the statement that we cant mess with the 2nd Amendment but to say that the "shoot-em up" culture of movies and video games (my opinion), do not contribute to the already insane mass shooter, is burrying your head in the sand. Bruce; we are all getting tired of seeing you in sweaty dirty t-shirts fighting the bad guy. Do some more comedies and that "sixth sense" thing.....
on February 6,2013 | 04:35AM
RichardCory wrote:
There are large groups of people across the globe, particularly in Africa and the Middle East, who engage in extreme violence despite the fact that they aren't exposed to violence in movies and video games. Mass killings, decapitation, and rape go on everyday on a wide scale in those parts of the world, and they have always occurred throughout history even before movies were invented. If you're going to blame movies for violence in today's society, then you have a lot of explaining to do about all the violence that occurred before the twentieth century.
on February 6,2013 | 04:40AM
onevoice82 wrote:
Bad annology Richard. I in no way argued that movies and games were the ONLY reason for mass murders. Your argument is misguided. Of course there is evil since the beginning of time!
on February 7,2013 | 04:48AM
Waianae94589 wrote:
"It's a difficult thing and I really feel bad for those families," he said. "I'm a father and it's just a tragedy. But I don't know how you legislate insanity. I don't know what you do about it. I don't even know how you begin to stop that." That's why you get paid to be an actor and not a law maker. Stick to what you know.
on February 6,2013 | 05:36AM
hawaiikone wrote:
An excellent observation, one that Ashley Judd needs to take to heart.
on February 6,2013 | 05:52AM
TLehel wrote:
It doesn't matter if he's not a lawmaker. He knows what his rights are just as we all should. Think of him as a glorified citizen. Only those people's opinions actually get voiced, and I think his opinion is pretty accurate. You can't try to control insanity by screwing with our amendments. Crazy people will always find away to do their crazy deeds, so punishing those who may need protection against such crazies is totally counter productive. It makes me really think about what's behind the government's curtain.
on February 6,2013 | 09:43AM
Slow wrote:
This is news? Does the SA want to interview me about Hollywood murder movies. The fact that I know nothing makes me a perfect fit for SA's in depth journalism.
on February 6,2013 | 05:54AM
Mediocrates wrote:
"like!"
on February 6,2013 | 06:36AM
cojef wrote:
He was merely justifying his involvement in "shoot them up, bang them up movies" at a movie premier in Germany and the press service picked up his remarks relative to the gun-control issuee that Americans are currently debating. It is not only profitable for him to voice his position on the issue. Seen some of his early episodes, but have become a ho-hum and not again viewer of his films.
on February 6,2013 | 07:56AM
Slow wrote:
Interview requests: Herman's Hermits on global warming. Lady Gaga on Wall Street regulation. Pee Wee Herman on same sex marriage. Just wanted to help SA to find some more good stuff.
on February 6,2013 | 06:18AM
loquaciousone wrote:
By now, I don't think Bruce can differentiate between reality and his big screen persona.
on February 6,2013 | 08:19AM
hawaiikone wrote:
While I agree with his position on the 2nd, his defense of violent entertainment is way off base. With a generation spending countless hours killing video enemies, with increasingly graphic images, we're supposed to believe none of this transfers into their minds? And Hollywood continues to fed the appetites of an insatiable public demanding more and more violent movies, which may make them profitable, but certainly not innocent.
on February 6,2013 | 12:30PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War

Political Radar
Climate change

Island Crafters
YouCanMakeThis.com

Warrior Beat
Empty pit

Political Radar
Switch

Political Radar
`Progressive hero’