Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 16 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Barking might have sparked deadly shootings, Arizona police say

By Courtney Connell

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:28 a.m. HST, Oct 28, 2013



PHOENIX » Police say loud barking might have led a 56-year-old man to kill four of his neighbors and two dogs before turning the weapon on himself over the weekend at a central Phoenix town house.

There is "some indication that perhaps that was a problem," Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said Sunday of the barking. But he added a motive might never be known because of the deaths.

Michael Guzzo, 56, killed four members of a family in the confrontation Saturday. The victims were identified as Bruce Moore, 66; his daughter, Renee Moore, 36; her husband, Michael Moore, 42, who took his wife's name; and Renee's son, Shannon Moore, 17.

After the killings, Guzzo shot at another town house before returning to his unit and killing himself, police said.

Police said they found a pump shotgun, apparently the weapon used in the killings, next to his body. Thompson said there was no indication he had a violent past.

A neighbor said Guzzo usually kept to himself.

"I've seen him every morning -- come in quiet every morning," Donald McKenzie told Phoenix television station KSAZ-TV. "Never would expect him to be the guy who did this at all."

Another neighbor, Barry Hatchett, told Phoenix station KNXV-TV he was friends with Renee Moore. Hatchett said he had planned to take his dog to the Moores' home for a grooming appointment later Saturday.

After shooting the Moores and the dogs, Guzzo walked across the large complex and shot at the door and second floor of another town house, police said.

KNXV-TV reports the second home belongs to Libni DeLeon, who said bullet holes are now scattered around his house.

DeLeon told the station he heard a knock Saturday morning before the gunman shot through his front door.

"I ran upstairs and when I got there I got a glance at him, and I yelled at him, and he turned around and shot two more rounds upstairs," DeLeon said.

No one was injured at the home.

Associated Press writer Barry Massey in Santa Fe, N.M., contributed to this report.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 16 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(16)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
RetiredWorking wrote:
Now that's scary! Kinda reminds me of that guy who killed his Mililani neighbors because he didn't like the way his Billabong customers parked near his home.
on October 28,2013 | 06:18AM
serious wrote:
I wonder if he lived in a "no dogs allowed" condominium and this was a "service" dog???
on October 28,2013 | 06:43AM
sailfish1 wrote:
What? Your comment is probably in the wrong place and service dogs are trained to be well behaved and quiet.
on October 28,2013 | 09:19AM
Grimbold wrote:
Upsetting dog barking is affecting our health and the irresponsible dog owners don't give a hoot. Many don't even try to teach their dogs. Although not approving I fully understand the rage of the shooterwho eliminated those pests and their owners. In Hawaii we are given to the mercy of dog owners, because nobody , not police , not City, not Humane Society - nobody will help you when you have a rotten neighbor with dogs. If complaining would help thousands of tortured sufferers of barking dogs would call in complaints. But it is useless, so people have given up. Same for the terror of rooster owners.
on October 28,2013 | 08:59AM
lee1957 wrote:
If this guy lived in my neighborhood half of Enchanted Lake would be dead. You are spot on with your comments about dog owners, tone deaf and inconsiderate of others.
on October 28,2013 | 11:47AM
patk wrote:
Grimbold, dogs are not pests. For every animal problem it is always the selfish irresponsible owners who are to blame. People who don't want to be part of society should be kicked out of society. But leave the poor animals alone, they are the victims too.
on October 28,2013 | 01:10PM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Yeah, I remember that one. The guy was a quiet sort and somewhat of a neat freak as his property was well maintained. I live in the Mililani area and some neighbors have little respect or social skills. Altho I don't condone violence, I wish people would have more respect for their neighbors and their property.
on October 28,2013 | 11:01AM
busterb wrote:
No matter. Just more killings. No one cares anymore. Arizona has had something like 5,500 gun deaths since McCain got in office. He don't care and doesn't say anything about it. So neither should we.
on October 28,2013 | 06:41AM
Slow wrote:
Good old wild west America. Per capita we own more guns than the citizens of any other country. By far. Almost double #2. It is obvious to me that more guns means less shooting, right? Why do we kill each other?
on October 28,2013 | 08:12AM
Grimbold wrote:
Slow, to answer you why people kill another: They can't help themselves, their rage makes them explode. Many normal people at times feel like they want to kill their neighbor or some other "enemy", but only very few do it. The ones that do it usually are psychotic, insane or drunk or doped up. There is also racial and cultural difference in the frequency of violent crimes . You can research that yourself, check the names in the newspapers when a crime of passion is reported.
on October 28,2013 | 09:10AM
Grimbold wrote:
Slow, to answer you why people kill another: They can't help themselves, their rage makes them explode. Many normal people at times feel like they want to kill their neighbor or some other "enemy", but only very few do it. The ones that do it usually are psychotic, insane or drunk or doped up. There is also racial and cultural difference in the frequency of violent crimes . You can research that yourself, check the names in the newspapers when a crime of passion is reported.
on October 28,2013 | 09:11AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Other than the psychos, people kill other people because today's society is all about "me me me" with no care for others around them. If people would respect others rights and did not intrude on others spaces, there would be no conflict, fights, and killings. Why do you say "more guns means less shooting"? Shootings happen because the shooters have access to a gun.
on October 28,2013 | 09:28AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Hawaii people seem to have a love afffair with their dogs, probably because a nice dog costs a fortune to buy here and because of the past quarantine program. Many however do not have any consideration for neighbors. I can hear loud barking and howling dogs from 1-2 blocks away. I don't understand how some of the people next to those places can tolerate it. The City also allows a residence to own up to 9 adult dogs and unlimited pups - that is totally ridiculous. Anyway, this isn't the first time that a neighbor killed the noisy dog and neighbor next door and it won't be the last.
on October 28,2013 | 09:17AM
nitpikker wrote:
must have had issues with his neighbors, more than the story mentions. maybe the dogs were simply the last straw?
on October 28,2013 | 10:33AM
patk wrote:
If there was a barking problem the owners deserve to be shot. But leave the poor dogs alone.
on October 28,2013 | 01:16PM
Grimbold wrote:
My neighbors dog used to bark nonstop when they left at night . Once it was 3 hours continuously and I made a tape recording and left it at their door with a friendly note to show them how the dog acts when they are not there. Unbelievable, when they returned they banged at my door yelling at me: Why are you doing that to us? They still think I wronged them. Can you believe such upside down behavior?
on October 28,2013 | 02:34PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News