Quantcast
  

Saturday, April 19, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 34 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police officer quits after comments about Obama


POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 07:47 a.m. HST, Nov 22, 2012



JACKSONVILLE, Fla. >> A Jacksonville police officer has quit after admitting he told colleagues that he would volunteer to assassinate President Barack Obama.

Sam Koivisto told the Florida Times-Union on Wednesday that his comments had been blown out of proportion and that he'd planned to retire in five months anyway.

The 57-year-old retired earlier this month while facing an internal investigation into his comments to other officers after the election. He told them that if an order came to kill Obama, he "wouldn't mind being the guy."

When questioned by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office integrity unit, he said he also didn't care if a nuclear explosion killed everyone in the Northeastern U.S because they supported Obama. He told the investigators his comments were hyperbole and not actual threats.

———

Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com







 Print   Email   Comment | View 34 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(34)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Anonymous wrote:
what?....you're a law enforcement officer...you mention that you wouldn't mind assassinating the president...and you're allowed to retire?...there's some kind of federal offense there somewhere
on November 22,2012 | 02:53AM
RichardCory wrote:
Federal offense? Yeah, it's called First Degree Not A Crime.
on November 22,2012 | 03:28AM
5xcalibir2 wrote:
yeah you know what you can do with your First Degree
on November 22,2012 | 03:40AM
frontman wrote:
Nope...they have terroristic threatening tied to WORDS now. He might be charged.
on November 22,2012 | 03:54AM
5xcalibir2 wrote:
there you go
on November 22,2012 | 04:39AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Next step, thought police.
on November 22,2012 | 04:53AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
Just a minute sir...did you mention the XXXXXXX police? Come with us.
on November 22,2012 | 09:10AM
hawaiikone wrote:
I'm typing from my cell. They just finished the waterboarding...
on November 22,2012 | 11:06AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
I'm with you. I would go further and say that "word" threats is NOT a crime. It is something NOT carried out. Our Laws make something out of nothing, and fill up prisons for nothing. Even yelling "fire" is a Right to me. Pity.
on November 22,2012 | 09:53AM
Eradication wrote:
No offense but that's just ignorant. If I came up to you and said, "I'm going to kill you because I do not like the color of your skin" or "I'm going to blow up the federal building" you think that is my right to do so without consequences? C'mon, haven't you noticed what's been happening all around this country with the shootings and bombings? What is sad today in the United States is that people want rights but do not want to assume responsibility. You can say anything you want but you do not want the responsibility of the consequences of what you say. If you yell "I've got a gun" in a movie theater and cause a panic "stampede of people" where people get hurt or killed, based on what you wrote, you think that nothing is wrong with that because you were expressing your freedom of speech. when someone who has ready access to firearms says, "sure I'll assassinate the President of the United States because I don't agree with his politics and claims freedom of speech without being held accountable then we are in real serious trouble in this country.
on November 22,2012 | 10:12AM
edster48 wrote:
It's not about what you say but about what you do. If what you say hasn't harmed anyone, there is nothing to be held responsible for. In your movie theater example people are actually going to get hurt, there is a difference. We may not like what this guy said, but as he has actually done nothing, there is no real crime.
on November 22,2012 | 12:40PM
pizza wrote:
What you don't know, acting on what you write, will land your misinfomred self in jail- at least in Hawaii.
on November 22,2012 | 01:39PM
nomakeshame wrote:
Apparently this cop didn't realize Florida voted for Obama too. Looks like he is going to have nuke his own house too.
on November 22,2012 | 03:52AM
bender wrote:
Haha. Good one.
on November 22,2012 | 04:46AM
LittleEarl_01 wrote:
Well so much about "freedom of speach."
on November 22,2012 | 04:58AM
kainalu wrote:
"Freedom of speech" doesn't include yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater - ask a constitutional attorney near you.
on November 22,2012 | 06:14AM
Waterman2 wrote:
Yup. Freedom of speech is long gone.......God help us all.
on November 22,2012 | 07:58AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Did he yell "fire". Didn't read anything about that. My mistake....
on November 22,2012 | 08:49AM
HD36 wrote:
True because yelling fire creates an imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death to the people in the theatre. Here, the policeman said, "If he was given the order" which, obviously is not an imminent threat, because he did not actually get the order.
on November 22,2012 | 11:24AM
Waterman2 wrote:
OOPS, can I say that ?
on November 22,2012 | 07:59AM
kainalu wrote:
Racism - as American as mom and apple pie.
on November 22,2012 | 06:13AM
Mike174 wrote:
As a police officer, or a human being for that matter, you have a responsibility to not be a racist pig.
on November 22,2012 | 06:30AM
DABLACK wrote:
Open mouth....stick in two feet !! Now he can go to the private militia.
on November 22,2012 | 07:13AM
soundofreason wrote:
or the TSA
on November 22,2012 | 08:42AM
808warriorfan wrote:
I was just reminded why I don't have any plans to visit Florida.....
on November 22,2012 | 07:50AM
Macadamiamac wrote:
Wow! A living stereotype: the southern racist cop – like Rod Steiger in 'In the Heat of the Night.' Only this one should be prosecuted under the federal law and sent to Guantanamo.
on November 22,2012 | 08:35AM
Eradication wrote:
Sadly, there are a lot of them out there. "Serve and Protect?" Hardly.
on November 22,2012 | 10:23AM
64hoo wrote:
you don't know hes a racist he did'nt make a remark about obamas color,anyway obamas half white so hes not a real true african american black, i go by there blood not by pygmentation of there skin, especally obama to me hes a white president to almost everyone else hes a black president. so if i say obamas white i'm right if you say hes black your right. so i see no racial remarks of what this police officer said.
on November 22,2012 | 05:08PM
stingray65 wrote:
Now a days, you cannot say anything to anyone. They get offended by whatever you say. Those folks who signed the constitution never ever think that can be used against each others. Or you will charge for heat crimes or terroristic threatening. That is why being in war zone is better than a State Trooper or City Cop.. I do not have to tell them, you have the right to remain silent nor miranda rights..just double tap them and keep moving !!
on November 22,2012 | 08:56AM
Eradication wrote:
Funny how you can be of a certain color (non-white) and make certain suggestions about picking up arms against those who disagree with you and make negative comments politically about this country and be labeled a terrorist, arrested, have your citizenship questioned even if you were born in the U.S and possibly detained for days or weeks for making those comments. Now, if you are on the other side of that fence and you make the same comments you are considered patriotic and a God fearing true American and you can proclaim your freedom of speech rights.
on November 22,2012 | 10:21AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Are you serious? If a black cop offered to shoot a president, you don't think the results would be the same? By your logic, this guy should be getting pats on the back.
on November 22,2012 | 11:13AM
IAmSane wrote:
Your mom has a loose vag.
on November 22,2012 | 12:18PM
edster48 wrote:
Fortunately, there is nothing in the constitution that protects people from being offended. No laws against offending people either. If ther were, there would be alot of people in jail for farting in the elevator.
on November 22,2012 | 12:47PM
pizza wrote:
Regarding the yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, former Supreme Court Jurist Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote that our Freedom of Speech doesn't (underline) include being able to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater, and that our Freedom of Speech ends where everyone else's nose begins.
on November 22,2012 | 01:51PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News