Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 13 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

U.S., Japanese officials remember Ehime Maru dead

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:47 a.m. HST, Feb 10, 2013


U.S. and Japanese officials gathered in Honolulu to remember nine crewmembers who died when a Navy submarine rammed into a Japanese fishing school ship off Oahu 12 years ago.

Ehime Vice Gov. Keiji Joko and Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie joined Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell and others at Kakaako Waterfront Park for a memorial ceremony Saturday.

Nine boys and men were killed when the USS Greeneville struck the Ehime Maru, slicing its hull. Twenty-six people were rescued from the Ehime Maru. No injuries were reported on the 360-foot nuclear-powered sub.

A Navy investigation concluded the Greenville's captain rushed through mandatory safety procedures while demonstrating an emergency surfacing drill for the benefit of civilians touring the submarine.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 13 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(13)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
cojef wrote:
When will the annual rituals going to end. The active participation by dignitaries in these rituals only cause the citizenry to relive the tragedy, which was a hard experience. Not meaning to diminish the deaths that occurred in the tragedy, but life must go on without being reminded of unpleasantries year after year.
on February 9,2013 | 11:18AM
64hoo wrote:
they like relive the tragedy but what they won't tell you is also that the ehime maru was also at fault.
on February 9,2013 | 01:37PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
How was the Ehime Maru at fault? They were practicing fishing in waters off our island, unless they were in Pearl Harbor I don't see how they were at fault?
on February 9,2013 | 04:09PM
967972005 wrote:
couldn't they fish in Japanese waters instead of the U.S. economic zone?
on February 9,2013 | 04:21PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
Are you trying to lay blame on the victims? The next time someone gets killed in a crosswalk, why don't we all say, "couldn't they be crossing at some other street corner?"
on February 9,2013 | 04:38PM
64hoo wrote:
they were not fishing there they were studying the ocean by using sonar or radar equipment learning about the ocean.
on February 9,2013 | 05:45PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
they weren't fishing at the time of the accident, they were headed to their fishing grounds.
on February 9,2013 | 06:11PM
64hoo wrote:
being a boat captain as you say you know that a few times a year the navy practices submarine training off the diamond head area and when they do that the coast guard issues a NOTAM alert to all sea vessels in the area. in case you don't know NOTAM stands for NOTICE TO ALL MARINERS which they will be practicing maneuvers in the diamond head area. there probably was a NOTAM at that time when the ehime maru was stopped in the water while the crew was eating lunch thats when the sub came up and hit the ehime maru which the sub did not pick up on the radar because they were stopped in the water. I feel the ehime maru ignored the notam and didn't heed the warning which resulted in the sub colliding in there ship that's why I feel they are at fault also. but we had to appease to the Japanese because we depend on there tourist coming here.
on February 9,2013 | 05:20PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
you obviously don't know or refuse to know what the details of the story are. i suggest you use that computer of your's to research as much as you can on the subject before you make anymore innane comments.
on February 9,2013 | 05:37PM
64hoo wrote:
don't need to go to that because the night after it happened I talked to a navy cpo. and what he told me there was a notam warning that day it happened so that investigation did not bring that up because they did not want to blame the crew of that Japanese boat so its not an innane comment. but you have your opinion and I have mind.
on February 9,2013 | 05:51PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
sure, i'd rather believe some nobody in the navy than the ntsb. it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.
on February 9,2013 | 05:57PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
you honestly believe that the u.s. navy, ntsb, and all media outlets would knowingly or unknowingly not divulgle information that put the blame with the ehime maru's crew? you're delusional. in fact the opposite is true, if they could have found a way to blame the japanese they'd jump all over it.
on February 9,2013 | 06:07PM
akuboatcaptain wrote:
I'll help you in case you don't know what google is, this is an official report from the NTSB: http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/fulltext/MAB0501.htm
on February 9,2013 | 05:42PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News