POSTED: 9:11 a.m. HST, Feb 13, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 9:11 a.m. HST, Feb 13, 2013
A 31-year-old Pahoa woman suffered second-degree burns on her hands while trying to leave a her burning home early this morning.
Hawaii County fire investigators believe an unattended candle caused the blaze that was reported at 3:22 a.m. in the 12-4000 block of Kona Street in Pahoa.
The 10-by-12-foot single-room structure and its contents were totally destroyed, Hawaii County fire officials said. The loss of the building was estimated at $20,000. The fire was reported under control by 3:55 a.m.
The woman was taken in stable condition to a hospital with burns to both hands. Shayla Shelton, the owner of the property, and another man and a child escaped unharmed.