POSTED: 9:19 a.m. HST, Mar 21, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 9:46 a.m. HST, Mar 21, 2013
Accused murderer Teddy Munet, already scheduled to go to trial in October for allegedly killing a friend last year, will have another court date before then.
Circuit Judge Richard Perkins today set the week of May 28 on new charges stemming from Munet’s nearly 12-hour escape on Feb. 20.
Munet entered a plea of not guilty on second-degree escape and second-degree robbery charges. His bail for those charges is $250,000. His case will be heard by Circuit Judge Glenn Kim.
On Feb. 20, Munet escaped from the custody of Oahu Community Correctional Center guards just before a morning pretrial hearing on charges that he allegedly killed William Fallau in 2012.
Police captured Munet nearly 12 hours later, several blocks away on Waimanu Street in Kakaako.
This was Munet’s first court appearance on the escape charge. He missed two earlier arraignment sessions.
On March 14, Munet refused to appear for his arraignment on the escape charge. Prison officials said Munet was in the Kalihi prison's law library and refused to appear for his arraignment, which was to have been held via closed-circuit video link.
On Monday, Munet’s failure to appear for the second time was due to ”a slight scheduling misunderstanding." The Department of Public Safety said it thought the hearing had been cancelled.
Munet's murder trial is scheduled for the week of Oct. 7.
Munet was being held at OCCC before his February escape on $1 million bail. He is charged with second-degree murder, second-degree promotion of a dangerous drug, possessing drug paraphernalia and three firearm counts.
Hikers found Fallau’s body July 19 at the Kawainui State Park Reserve. Fallau, 29, died of a gunshot wound to the back of the neck.