Quantcast

Sunday, July 27, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

'Wonder Blunder' defendant gets new trial date

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:32 p.m. HST, Dec 31, 2012


A new trial date has been set for a North Carolina concert promoter accused of scamming the University of Hawaii out of $200,000 by saying that he was arranging for Stevie Wonder to appear in concert.

Jury selection is now scheduled to start April 9 at U.S. District Court in Honolulu. It was previously slated for late January. Attorneys for promoter Marc Hubbard and prosecutors agreed to the change last week.  

Hubbard entered a not guilty plea in November. He was released on $200,000 bail secured by property he owns. 

He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.  

Authorities say Hubbard convinced a local promoter he had connections with a former Motown Records executive who could secure Wonder for an August fundraiser. 

The school paid $200,000 as a deposit and began selling advance tickets, but later learned neither the singer nor his representatives authorized the concert. It hasn’t been able to recover the money. 

Another man accused of transporting the money as part of the deal has pleaded guilty and is cooperating with prosecutors. Sean Barriero, a 44-year-old British national who lives in Miami, is scheduled to be sentenced on May 2. 

A special state Senate committee which investigated the university’s handling of the bungled concert — which has come to be known as the “Wonder Blunder” — said the incident tarnished the university’s reputation both nationally and within the state. 

The committee said no one at the university looked into whether the agent was an authorized representative of the singer. The lawmakers also faulted a lack of oversight and communication in the school’s athletic department, general counsel and disbursing office.

A University of Hawaii task force reporting to the Board of Regents said in November the school allowed itself to be deceived because those involved in the financial transactions lacked judgment and didn’t take responsibility. 

The university reassigned athletic director Jim Donovan after the failed concert came to light. Donovan left the university altogether in mid-December to become the athletic director at Cal State Fullerton.  







 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(1)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
kainalu wrote:
He'll deal in the end. Time served, and he's out of here.
on December 31,2012 | 12:14PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan

Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War