Thursday, April 24, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 11 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Starbucks to rollout $1 reusable cups today

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 08:13 a.m. HST, Jan 03, 2013

NEW YORK » Starbucks Corp. is rolling out a $1 reusable plastic cup at its cafes starting today.

The Seattle-based coffee chain already gives customers a dime discount each time they bring in reusable cups for refills. Now it's hoping the new cups — which bear its logo and resemble its white paper cups — will increase the habit.

As with other reusable cups, the new cups will be cleaned with boiling water each time customers bring them in. The cups were tested in 600 stores in the Pacific Northwest over the past few months and will be rolled out nationwide and in Canada.

In 2008, Seattle-based Starbucks had said it wanted to serve 25 percent of all drinks in reusable cups by 2015. That goal has since been reduced to 5 percent.

COMMENTS

residenttaxpayer wrote:
If I get one..I'll probably forget to bring it with me when I want coffee.
on January 2,2013 | 08:43PM
ichiban wrote:
Trouble is, I can't see myself carrying that cup with me every time I go out.
on January 3,2013 | 04:19AM
onevoice82 wrote:
Hopefully the baristas will not write political nonesense on these cups!
on January 3,2013 | 04:40AM
Bdpapa wrote:
Only in DC, or was it New York?
on January 3,2013 | 08:14AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
So are customers supposed to carry tissue or napkins to wipe out the cup?
on January 3,2013 | 08:10AM
craigshawaii wrote:
I like it because work's by a location and we have a sink at work to clean. Only comes in a grande and you need to use a sleeve.
on January 3,2013 | 08:45AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Can I order the cup with beer in it?
on January 3,2013 | 09:18AM
MaWy wrote:
That's a nice idea. I'd likely forget to bring it on the rare occasions I go to Starbucks, but if I was a regular I'd probably be all over it.
on January 3,2013 | 09:39AM
loquaciousone wrote:
How about if we bring our own cups we get $1 off?
on January 3,2013 | 10:38AM
Jonas wrote:
BPA-free or not?
on January 3,2013 | 01:54PM
craigshawaii wrote:
You get 10 cents off. There's a BPA-free stamp on the bottom of the cup. It's recyclable. BYOB.
on January 3,2013 | 02:10PM