Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Stowaway raccoon tests negative for rabies

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:18 a.m. HST, Jan 05, 2013


A raccoon that stowed away aboard a cargo ship from California has tested negative for rabies.

The Hawaii Department of Agriculture announced the results Friday.

Personnel from the shipping company Matson called the department earlier this week after seeing the animal scampering on the ship’s deck in Honolulu.  

Hawaii is the only rabies-free state, and raccoons are seen as a threat because they could introduce rabies here.  

A department spokeswoman said the animal had to be euthanized in order to conduct the rabies test.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(15)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
sak wrote:
Why kill the poor buggah? He just wanted some warmer weather and some sun. Just quarantine him for 10 days to see if he is in fact infected with rabies, would have been a more humane method of testing him. Dahhhhh!!
on January 4,2013 | 05:16PM
waikane75 wrote:
They should've just sent it back to the mainland or gave it to the zoo. Also, why test it if they were going to kill it anyway?
on January 4,2013 | 06:17PM
sailfish1 wrote:
Leave it to State people to do things without thinking first.
on January 4,2013 | 07:25PM
localguy wrote:
Remember years ago when those in charge of the quarantine center swore up and down the only way to keep the Nei free of rabies was their expensive, long term quarantine for all incoming animals. Irregardless if the animal had already had rabies vaccinations for years, tests were negative, didn't matter, quarantine was the way. Right, the Nei looked so so backwards when they were sued for violating ADA standards, failing to allow seeing eye/special trained dogs in without the months long quarantine. Sad to say that Jurassic mentality is still alive and well in state bureaucrats. They did the satanic animal sacrifice to justify their jobs, even though technology could have done the same. These people need to go away, they fail to learn how scientific methods go beyond their animal sacrifices. Once again the Nei looks like a little 5th world country, this is what they do.
on January 4,2013 | 07:19PM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
"Localguy" your histrionic behavior aside could you educate us on the process of testing for Rabies?
on January 5,2013 | 06:49PM
awahana wrote:
This is f'ked up. Leave it to the govt and their workers to do things the lolo way...
on January 4,2013 | 09:22PM
localguy wrote:
What do you expect from a product of the Nei's backward's education system, people who have never left the islands, never seen the real world.
on January 5,2013 | 08:14AM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
"Localguy" so who is it that was responsible for authoring the quarantine procedures? who had to approve the quarantine procedures?
on January 5,2013 | 06:54PM
kiragirl wrote:
I would like to hear their (state) reasons why they had to kill this raccoon and the necessity to determine if had rabies or not. I hope they are proud of themselves. Reminds me of the bird (forgot what) that they killed at the airport and the state spokesman called them heroes for killing the bird. Insane!
on January 4,2013 | 11:20PM
localguy wrote:
kiragirl - Reason? Because this is all we know how to do. We are stuck in the past, afraid to change, afraid to learn. People like this have no concern for how their willful failures make the Nei look like a little banana boat republic, decades in progress behind the mainland.
on January 5,2013 | 08:13AM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
"Locaguy" since you claim to know so much about quarantine procedures, how about creating a draft proposal for modifications to the current process and post it on your blog and email copies of it to your representatives. If there is any fact to any of your claims it might actually help. In any case you would accomplish more than making endless empty unsubstantiated claims here in the SA.
on January 5,2013 | 06:03PM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
oh, and once you have the draft posted to your blog, post the url here so we can read it and benefit from your wealth of knowledge.
on January 5,2013 | 06:06PM
Upperkula wrote:
That is so dumb. Kill the poor thing to get a rabbies test. Boy these guys are idiots. then the test comes back negative. This kind of thing just pi$$ses me off to no end. Sorry folks I love animals, our keiki could have had a Racoon to see in our Zoo.
on January 5,2013 | 06:45AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
How long is the raccoon story going to be "breaking news'?
on January 5,2013 | 07:17AM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
As long as windmachines like "Localguy" keep passing wind.
on January 5,2013 | 06:04PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News