Saturday, April 19, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 13 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

U.S. government tells computer users to disable Java

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 07:46 a.m. HST, Jan 14, 2013

WASHINGTON » The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is advising people to temporarily disable the Java software on their computers to avoid potential hacking attacks.

The recommendation came in an advisory issued late Thursday, following up on concerns raised by computer security experts.

Experts believe hackers have found a flaw in Java's coding that creates an opening for criminal activity and other high-tech mischief.

Java is a widely used technical language that allows computer programmers to write a wide variety of Internet applications and other software programs that can run on just about any computer's operating system.

Oracle Corp. bought Java as part of a $7.3 billion acquisition of the software's creator, Sun Microsystems, in 2010.

Oracle, which is based in Redwood Shores, Calif., had no immediate comment late Friday.

COMMENTS

gsc wrote:
yikes ...
on January 11,2013 | 02:55PM
SteveToo wrote:
Can I believe the Government?
on January 11,2013 | 04:49PM
eoe wrote:
FIne. Keep Java turned on genius.
on January 11,2013 | 05:10PM
soundofreason wrote:
My Java machine automatically turns off 30 minutes after I pour my first cup.
on January 11,2013 | 06:41PM
bumba wrote:
lol.......
on January 12,2013 | 04:14AM
RichardCory wrote:
No, but Java is crap anyway, so you shouldn't be running it if you can help it regardless.
on January 11,2013 | 07:19PM
sailfish1 wrote:
My first thought was "How do I disable Java?" An internet search and I found this article from PC magazine. The address is http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp I had to first upgrade to the latest version of Java and then I disabled it like the article stated.
on January 11,2013 | 07:37PM
64hoo wrote:
why disable it get rid of it. just go to control panel press uninstall programs go to where it says java and press uninstall its that simple get it off your computer the easy way.
on January 11,2013 | 11:35PM
IAmSane wrote:
Good advice. Also make sure you delete System32 to make sure the Java application is completely uninstalled.
on January 12,2013 | 06:40AM
awahana wrote:
Sun sucked.
Thus Java still sucks.
on January 11,2013 | 07:55PM
hikine wrote:
Ya and all the computers crashed in 2000! Internet Explorer can be hacked too but it's still being used.
on January 12,2013 | 12:19AM
adri1456 wrote:
One computer is done. Now to do it on my other 4 computers.
on January 12,2013 | 07:31AM
bender wrote:
I went to the DHS website and found the article. This has been going on since August but only now are we being told. One bit of advice from DHS was to stick with trusted websites. There is also a tool kit download if anyone is interested. You have to do some digging but the easiest way I found was to seach their website for "java" and look at the first result, then scoll down to •Vulnerability Note VU#625617 and follow that link.
on January 12,2013 | 10:20AM