Quantcast

Monday, July 28, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 38 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Dozens of pro-Dorner protesters rally at LAPD HQ

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:02 a.m. HST, Feb 17, 2013


LOS ANGELES >> Dozens of protesters rallied outside Los Angeles police headquarters Saturday in support of Christopher Dorner, the former LAPD officer and suspected killer of four who died after a shootout and fire this week at a mountain cabin following one of the biggest manhunts in recent memory.

Protesters told the Los Angeles Times they didn't support Dorner's deadly methods, but objected to police corruption and brutality, and believed Dorner's claims of racism and unfair treatment by the department. Many said they were angered by the conduct of the manhunt that led to Dorner's death and injuries to innocent bystanders who were mistaken for him.

Michael Nam, 30, who held a sign with a flaming tombstone and the inscription "RIP Habeas Corpus," said it was "pretty obvious" police had no intention of bringing Dorner in alive.

"They were the judge, the jury and the executioner," Nam said. "As an American citizen, you have the right to a trial and due process by law."

During the hunt for Dorner, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck called for Dorner's surrender and said he didn't want to see the suspect or anyone else injured.

Dorner was already believed to have killed three people when he was cornered Tuesday at the cabin near Big Bear Lake, and during the standoff shot and killed a San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy, authorities said.

Only after calls for surrender and use of milder tear gas did deputies launch pyrotechnic gas canisters into the cabin, and the subsequent fire was not intentional, the Sheriff's Department said.

Dorner died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the end of the standoff, sheriff's officials said.

The 33-year-old has already inspired a burgeoning subculture of followers. While most don't condone killing, they see him as an outlaw hero who raged against powerful forces of authority, and some even question whether he really died.

Tributes include a ballad titled "El Matapolicias," or "The Police Killer," penned by a Mexican crooner with lyrics paying homage to Dorner, and a YouTube clip showing excerpts from a video game titled "Christopher Dorner's Last Stand Survival Game" whose opening frame declares him "A True American Hero."







 Print   Email   Comment | View 38 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(38)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
sleepy wrote:
I only wish all of his supporters were with him in that cabin.
on February 17,2013 | 04:19AM
RichardCory wrote:
So you think the police should be allowed to shoot at random vehicles with innocent people inside based on the smallest of suspicions of them being criminals? You think police should have the right to burn down your house if a wanted suspect holes themselves up inside of it? Dorner was obviously a psychopath, but so were a lot of the cops involved in hunting him down. I don't think any of these people are actually "supporting" him more than they protesting LAPD.
on February 17,2013 | 05:14AM
mrluke wrote:
LAPD had nothing to do with his death. That event took place in another jurisdiction!
on February 17,2013 | 07:30AM
mrluke wrote:
Your comments show the worst kind of twisted logic and misinformation. NO - the police do not have the right to shoot at innocent persons, and no one believes they do! Those tragic mistakes will be judged. No - the police searching for him (not "hunting him down") are not psychopaths! They were trying to locate a dangerous murderer who demonstrated that he would shoot them on sight. He had already murdered three people in the most cowardly fashion. You also conveniently overlook the fact that during the time he was in the cabin he was firing on those officers around him. Are they not allowed to take ANY offensive action of their own?
on February 17,2013 | 07:46AM
RichardCory wrote:
I doubt the "tragic mistakes" made by those officers who fired on unarmed innocent civilians will be judged any more harshly than a paid vacation and a lawsuit that the taxpayers of the city of Los Angeles will have to pay for. Dorner never should have murdered anyone, but the reaction of LAPD showed that they are as brutal as they were painted out to be. And as for Dorner firing upon officers while holed up in that cabin, I'm not overlooking that. The fact of the matter is, however, that law enforcement agencies always have other methods of securing suspects other than wantonly burning down an entire home. This is what SWAT teams are for, and their responsibility should be to attempt to secure the suspect without unnecessary harm to persons or property. Sorry for asking that police act responsibly. My mistake.
on February 17,2013 | 08:24AM
roughrider wrote:
I can see your logic and viewpoint. I wonder, though, if you'd take the same stance had Ms. Quan been your daughter or a close acquaintance?
on February 17,2013 | 09:17AM
RichardCory wrote:
Probably not. This is the luxury of being a neutral third-party observer.
on February 17,2013 | 10:31AM
kailuabred wrote:
Except your response show a bias not a neutral 3rd party.
on February 17,2013 | 02:18PM
RichardCory wrote:
I don't think you understand what a neutral third-party observer is, kailuabred. Nice try, though.
on February 17,2013 | 08:36PM
mrluke wrote:
I do feel for the Quan family. However, I'm not about to irrationally condem every law enforcement agency or officer because of what happened. And, I'm quite sure that the incident will not be swept under any rug! People like RC just wait for any excuse to second guess any police action, and feel sorry for animals like Dorner.
on February 17,2013 | 03:08PM
redneckMT wrote:
The coward committed suicide.
on February 17,2013 | 08:05AM
allie wrote:
yikes!
on February 17,2013 | 03:09PM
lynnh wrote:
What everyone here that says the cops were "trigger happy" are clearly ignorant of, or just choose not to research or listen, the fact that the vehicle that was fired upon, which matched the description of Dorner's truck, refused to stop when confronted by officers. That is why it was fired on.
on February 17,2013 | 05:55PM
kolekole wrote:
Lucky for everyone that you can't summon a Genie for your wishes. You're of the worst kind...... Sort of a......menace to society.
on February 17,2013 | 06:40AM
koolau wrote:
What planet are these people from?
on February 17,2013 | 04:42AM
pizza wrote:
The bandwagon circling Planet Loon.
on February 17,2013 | 06:03AM
Loki wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would support this guy. He killed some innocent people.
on February 17,2013 | 06:00AM
tiki886 wrote:
These people say they objected to police corruption and brutality, and believed Dorner's claims of racism and unfair treatment by the department. They also accuse the police of being the judge, the jury and the executioner. I say BS.

These people are sitting on a massive psychological stockpile of rage. They, like Dorner are consumed by grievances toward a society that they believed had ignored their obvious genius and talents, believed that every corner of modern American society shares in the guilt for the injustice against them, and are ready to lash out, oftentimes violently, against those who they deemed their enemies and saw this as an opportunity to settle the scores against a world that had done them wrong.

We’ve always had murderous people among us, we’ve always had the insane, and we’ve always had those who would see their encounters with standard hardships of life (or worse) and see some grand, cosmic injustice that must be avenged. But it does feel like the ranks of those folks are growing, doesn’t it?

It’s a reflection of the well-intended “you are a special snowflake” message of parenting in the past two decades or so. Young people go through their childhood and teen years, believing that they are uniquely gifted and talented and wonderful and believing that their adult life will be one fabulous victory and success after another. And then at some point they depart the protected simulation of life that is childhood/high school/college . . . and the real world just kicks them in the crotch again and again.

Some turn out to be mass murderers like Dorner, some turn out to be his supporters and admirers.


on February 17,2013 | 06:14AM
tiki886 wrote:
Then instead of concluding, “Oh, achieving my dream is going to be a lot harder than I thought, I had better redouble my efforts,” they deflect the hard truth of responsibility and conclude that somebody else, somebody out there - society - is to blame. They can take no joy in anyone else’s success, because that just reminds them of their own failure to achieve what they had envisioned all of their lives. And their attitudes quickly become one more obstacle — short-tempered, incapable of taking responsibility, quick to blame others, perhaps paranoid, concluding others are out to sabotage them.

And that resentment and anger curdles and boils until one day they find themselves rooting for the homicidal maniac instead of the folks trying to stop the homicidal maniac.


on February 17,2013 | 06:43AM
Skyler wrote:
Well-written - thanks for that.
on February 17,2013 | 06:39PM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
These people are a bunch of nut jobs. Dorner had opportunity to peacefully surrender but instead chose to fire upon law enforcement personnel. Whatever his grievances real or percieved became meanless and irrelevant when he murdered innocent people who had nothing to do with his termination. As for those trigger happy cops who fired upon those people in the pickup trucks...they are going to be held accountable for their actions..
on February 17,2013 | 07:07AM
lynnh wrote:
What everyone here that says the cops were "trigger happy" are clearly ignorant of, or just choose not to research or listen, the fact that the vehicle that was fired upon, which matched the description of Dorner's truck, refused to stop when confronted by officers. That is why it was fired on.
on February 17,2013 | 05:52PM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
The cops weren't fired upon by the occupants of the pickup truck. It would be one thing if the cops took fire from the truck or the occupants displayed a firearm.
on February 17,2013 | 09:51PM
DABLACK wrote:
Dis your sermon for the vanquish ??
on February 17,2013 | 07:13AM
tiki886 wrote:
My sermon to the unhappy Left.
on February 17,2013 | 07:34AM
mrluke wrote:
Lots of psychobabble on this page.
on February 17,2013 | 07:29AM
Bdpapa wrote:
These people need to look at their families and feel thankful he didn't have something against them.
on February 17,2013 | 08:48AM
lajekal wrote:
His actions of killing innocent people, speaks for itself.
on February 17,2013 | 08:55AM
cojef wrote:
"tiki886" has some truth about this narcistic individual. Read an item in the news where upon his return from a deployment as a naval reservist requested that he be retrained at the police academy and was instead denied. The article further continued that upon being refused, he cried like a spoiled brat. When things do not proceed in the way he desires, a resentment becomes evident. Having said all that, on other side of the coin, a hearing was held with regards to his charge that during an arrest of a mentally handicapped individual his training officer kicked the suspect on the face and chest. The hearing returned not in his favor and theron, Chris Dorner was fired. Did the firing caused him to become paranoid and embark on a rampage??? Who knows?
on February 17,2013 | 11:11AM
all_fed_up wrote:
Granted, the LAPD was freaking out and was way to trigger happy. They will certainly pay for it $$$. But did these idiot supporters forget who this maniac already killed, who he intended to kill, and that it was HIS decision to not come out of this alive? There is only ONE person to blame for this. And thank God he's not around anymore. Unfortunately this has become a race issue.
on February 17,2013 | 10:37AM
HD36 wrote:
In this day and age of rampant racism America needs a Black President!
on February 17,2013 | 11:32AM
Graham wrote:
Sarcasm noted...
on February 17,2013 | 11:45AM
Forever_Grateful wrote:
It is truly a SICK world to have people reign someone like Donner "an American hero". When all this first started, an ex-girlfriend of Donner's from 2006 stated he was paranoid, had anger issues and an explosive temper. Donner's firing was in 2008 - it was deemed that he lied against fellow officer. In 2013 he decides he was done wrong (?) It was cearly obvious that Donner was not going to give up and didn't care if he lived or died.
on February 17,2013 | 12:28PM
nippy68 wrote:
trying to make a statement.....but in the most unlawful way.
on February 17,2013 | 01:17PM
gtracer66 wrote:
All these protest in support of Chris Dorner, just reminds me that there will always be people who will be ready to protest for or against just about anything. Some protest against the war. Recently some protested outside the White House against oil the Keystone pipeline (have they bought gas lately?). Some protest for better healthcare. There is always some cause to protest for or against. This is just another in a long line of reasons to get a bunch of people together and have a "protest party". They want to make themselves feel better by forming a group of like minded people who think alike. It doesn't matter it there is any logic to their cause, they just want to protest against/for "something". Someone suggested that the police "hunted down" Chris Dorner. This is only a matter of semantics. What's the difference between conducting a search for a suspect; a manhunt: or hunting a criminal down? History is full of "manhunts". Tonight on Nat Geo, we'll will see Bill O'Reily's book,"Killing Lincoln" brought to film. The hunt for Booth was truly a case of "hunting a man down". But because he shot Lincoln, nobody seems to have protested that, either then or now. What about Bonnie & Clyde? They were hunted down and executed by the police. Where was/is the outrage? Once again, we have a tragic event where people have been killed by a criminal. In this case, Dorner knew he wouldn't be taken alive. That was his choice. He knew what he was doing. Those protesting this are playing along with his plans. This is what he wanted. Was he sick or was he just evil?? We'll never know. But those who glorify Chris Dorner, might as well sanctify James Earl Ray, Lee Harvey Oswald, or John Wilkes booth.
on February 17,2013 | 01:24PM
lynnh wrote:
What everyone here that says the cops were "trigger happy" are clearly ignorant of, or just choose not to research or listen, the fact that the vehicle that was fired upon, which matched the description of Dorner's truck, refused to stop when confronted by officers. That is why it was fired on.
on February 17,2013 | 05:54PM
2_centz wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on February 17,2013 | 06:46PM
lynnh wrote:
Look it up before you comment. The police attempted to pull them over and they ran. Police pursued the vehicle and had to chase them down. You don't run from police because of what you say "the women in the identical auto were completely unaware of the fact that their car was the same make and model and color of the one the LAPD were looking for. So why would they be aware that the police were stopping them when they did nothing wrong?" It's call lights and sirens and you are required to pull over. Not run! Why did they run? Innocent people don't run from police. Your comment is pretty much beyond dumb!
on February 17,2013 | 06:56PM
RichardCory wrote:
"Innocent people don't run from police." And yet they were innocent. You just proved yourself wrong. I don't know why you set yourself up like that.
on February 17,2013 | 08:39PM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
And even if they do run the police shouldn't have fired unless the occupants shot at them.
on February 17,2013 | 09:54PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan

Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War