POSTED: 6:47 a.m. HST, Mar 2, 2013
The Coast Guard says it has suspended a search for a 55-year-old Kilauea man who has been missing since he was presumed to have gone for a swim off Ninini Beach earlier this week.
The search began Tuesday night when a family member reported Scott Akina hadn't returned home after going for a run and swim in Kauai earlier that afternoon.
The Coast Guard says it used a helicopter, a cutter and coastal patrol boat to look for the man, and the fire department used sonar to check the shoreline.
The agency said in a release Friday night that search teams from several agencies covered an area of more than 6,200 square miles.
Coast Guard Cmdr. Shannon Gilreath says the decision to suspend the search was difficult, and their thoughts and prayers are with the family.
The man was the eighth person believed to have drowned on Kauai this year.