Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 100 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

More than 2,000 teachers protest lack of contract at Capitol

By Nanea Kalani

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:13 p.m. HST, Mar 14, 2013


More than 2,000 public school teachers and their supporters converged on the state Capitol this afternoon to protest the lack of a new labor contract.

Teachers have been working under a "last, best and final offer" the state imposed in July 2011 that included pay cuts and a larger share of health insurance premiums. 

The state and teachers union are in negotiations for a 2013-15 contract.

"This sends a really strong message that we want to settle our contract now," said Hawaii State Teachers Association President Wil Okabe.

The union organized today's "Stand Up for Public Education" rally as the teachers' labor dispute enters its 20th month. 

"It's encouraging to see so many people turn out because even though we kind of got screwed over, it shows that we're still willing to do whatever needs to be done for the students," said Nohea Goo, an eighth grade math teacher at Dole Middle School. 






More From The Star-Advertiser

Officials discuss educational standards




 Print   Email   Comment | View 100 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(100)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Oahuan wrote:
Where's the parents camping out in the Gov's office this time around? No where because a republican isn't in office.
on March 14,2013 | 05:13PM
HD36 wrote:
Public Unions should be illegal.
on March 14,2013 | 08:56PM
Steve96785 wrote:
Hawaii Constitution requires them. Thank Ben Cayatano and the rest of the young punk Dems back in the '70s Con-con. They bought their power by kowtowing to the unions and the anti-business movement that has left Hawaii in the financial backwaters.
on March 14,2013 | 09:34PM
jakwa wrote:
TOTALLY AGREE!!!
on March 14,2013 | 11:09PM
Grimbold wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on March 14,2013 | 05:13PM
false wrote:
There isn't enough money to pay for what most of us deliver for your children. Some of us run between classrooms to boost the instruction provided by teachers. Some of us pick up the instruction where ever the teacher is at and deliver the lesson to raise the intellectual bars for students' achievement. Day after day, week after week, we have little glory and more to do in less time. If the kids didn't love learning and respect the teaching, we would have given up along time ago. Exhausted but so glad to go back in the morning and take up the challenge again and again. The kids will be served.
on March 14,2013 | 06:10PM
what wrote:
The problem is not a lack of tax money. The problem is the DOE wastes too much money on unnecessary employees and programs. Don't ask for more money -- hold the DOE accountable for screwed up budget priorities.
on March 14,2013 | 06:36PM
palolo2001 wrote:
You are correct. Too many ex teachers collecting big money at district offices.
on March 14,2013 | 08:08PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Who? What office? Can you name any facts at all? I would be interested in facts not some "feeling" someone has.
on March 14,2013 | 10:16PM
BluesBreaker wrote:
No, of course they can't. They rail against the mythical teacher. They've never spent a day in the classroom or the DOE for that matter. Yes, the DOE has big problems and there paperwork and procedures make teachers' lives hell (and waste valuable classtime). But folks like lolo2001 don't care about that. They just hate the DOE because it's full of public workers.
on March 14,2013 | 11:16PM
HD36 wrote:
At least give those who don't have kids or whose kids arent' in school a tax credit. If I want to pay for somebody's kids, I'll buy some cookies at Walmart.
on March 14,2013 | 06:41PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Sure thing and by that logic if I am not hungry, get rid of food banks. Hey, I only drive on certain roads so I will pay for only those. I don't go to the Zoo, so lets shut it down, because why should I pay for things I don't specifically use right now. Wonderful logic. BTW, what kids do you have that aren't in school? Maybe that is the problem...
on March 14,2013 | 10:21PM
HD36 wrote:
Actually, the more I drive the more tax I pay when I buy gasoline. The heavier my car, the more registration fee I pay because it wears down the roads more. See, at least the tax is proportionate to the amount I use the public roads. In case you haven't noticed the Zoo isn't free, neither is the aquarium. If these attractions can't support themselve's from the entrance fee they charge, then yes, maybe they should downsize or close. I don't go to movie theatres, and I don't have any of my income taken to support them either. Why do you need the government to tell you what to do? Why do you need the government to tell you what to drink and eat? Are you over 18? We have something called the free market, or at least we used to, where people vote with their dollars. If it's not in demand by society, it usually closes and something new pops up to take its place. Problem with government, it'll keep losing money until it runs out of other people's money. I think it's called socialism.
on March 15,2013 | 12:43AM
HD36 wrote:
In case you haven't heard we have something called food stamps aka EBT cards. More than 47 million Americans use them. About 15% of the US population. Talking to supermarket managers, the food stamp users usually by the most expensive fish or meat. Do you think this causes the price of food to go up for everyonelse who works?
on March 15,2013 | 01:10AM
Oahuan wrote:
This just goes to show that it wasn't really about the kids.
on March 14,2013 | 05:15PM
st1d wrote:
stand up for education does not equal pay raises for teachers.
on March 14,2013 | 05:17PM
Warrior1985 wrote:
Like they say, you get what you paid for. Just make sure you don't complain for what you get okay.
on March 14,2013 | 09:37PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Exactly Warrior. These same people like Grimbold grumble about everything, but aren't willing to acknowledge their own responsibility for their flippant comments.
on March 14,2013 | 10:22PM
st1d wrote:
hawaii teachers already receive the nation's top twenty salary. in return, these same teachers provide a product that has hawaii students scoring in the bottom ten in national tests.

people should be complaining now about the out of control salaries of teachers when student scores are considered.


on March 14,2013 | 10:23PM
jakwa wrote:
I'm complaining. What the heck? Put students first...what a shibai! Teachers always put themselves first...the heck with the students!
on March 14,2013 | 11:12PM
BubbaB25 wrote:
No Teachers = No Teaching. The teachers need to make a liveable wage, they took paycuts for 4 years, now the state has a $300 million dollar surplus of which $180 million came from the paycuts the teachers took. Time to pay it back ! The Governor wants to pay them in 2009 wages in 2013 with a 2% raise ( which adds up to $25 a paycheck ). If the Governor forces a strike ( which is the teachers only alternative to making less money in 2013-2015 than they did in 2009 after factoring in inflation ) then all the schools will be shut down, as No Teachers = No Teaching , and all the people of Hawaii suffer. The ball is in the Governors court.. offer a livable wage ( the teachers are asking for 4% ) or force a strike. The choice is the Governors .
on March 14,2013 | 05:43PM
atilter wrote:
is that paycheck you mention a semi-monthly paycheck? a bi-weekly paycheck? because that couldn't be a monthly check - othewise there would be no "teachers", right?!! clarify please. as it is now that 2% raise is based upon a $1250 paycheck. also the teachers are the ones to decide to strike or not - not the govt. the reasons are not always the right ones but as you say affect everyone. 'nuff talk and entitle-istic posturing. decide one way or the other - choice is yours. many others in other careers are making out with a 2%. there are no gurantees in any walk of life or career path. attitudes and expectations have certainly changed, haven't they?
on March 14,2013 | 07:56PM
BubbaB25 wrote:
2% of $50,000 is $1,000. $1000 divided by 24 paychecks = about $40 a paycheck. Do'nt forget to subtract the taxes and its about $25 a paycheck. The Governor has stated ( its been all over the news), if the Teachers dont take what he offers, he will just impose the contract on the teachers and pay them 2% on their 2009 pay scale. If the teachers dont like it, their only choice is to strike. The Governor knows this , so the ball is in his court. The teachers took paycuts the past 4 years of 13%, 8%, 5% and 5%. Clocks ticking, is the Governor going to force a strike , or really negotiate ??? Tick Tock, Tick Tock...
on March 14,2013 | 08:19PM
atilter wrote:
bubba - i can't agree with "no teachers = no teaching" 100%. this may be true in the formal class setting. like it or not, both teachers and students can occur coincidently and simultaneously - depending on the venue, the subject, and the scenario.
on March 14,2013 | 08:23PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Except for fake "students" like you.
on March 14,2013 | 10:24PM
jakwa wrote:
And the teachers aren't making a livable wage now?! Huh, how about a 20% pay cut like the federal workers? Base the pay raises on performance. Poor performance...no pay raises!
on March 14,2013 | 11:13PM
Warrior1985 wrote:
Teachers are overpaid??? How are teachers overpaid? I am a teacher with a master's degree and after taxes I take home a little over a grand every two weeks. Is that really overpaid? This is my sixth year teaching and because of this best last offer crap I have had no pay increases since I started teaching even after I got my masters degree in education. This is the very reason that many new teachers leave this profession and go into something else. I work a second job in the food industry and if I worked there full time I would make more than what I make now. Don't you think that sends a wrong message to society? Why go to college and get a degree when you can just work in the food industry with no education and make more than someone who is a teacher with a masters. If you're answer is to just quit then maybe you're right because that is what many new teachers do when they find out that they will never make ends meet in this profession. People can use the line "what about the kid?" but we are human also and we need to eat and pay bills just like you do. I'm not saying ALL teachers are ALL about the kids but I think most of them are. This is the only reason I have stuck it out this long but reality is reality and as much as I love making a difference I one day have a dream of buying my own place and maybe not having to work a second night job just to make ends meet. If you want to complain about taxes and etc. maybe we should ask the politicians to take a pay cut. The working class people always need to suffer but what about the executives, governors, superintendents, university presidents, and etc. Teachers are not the only ones that are underpaid but please do not single out teachers and say that we are "overpaid". If you think we are overpaid for what we do then please step in our shoes and make a difference in the future of Hawaii and become a teacher. Then our state doesn't have to waste so much money recruiting teachers from outside of Hawaii.
on March 14,2013 | 05:43PM
tiki886 wrote:
BS! 90% of the teachers have a husband who is making just as much or more than their husband so their household is making close to or more than $100,000!

No more raises and no more new spending until the ERS is FULLY funded with another $22 BILLION DOLLARS!!!

Student enrollment has held steady at about 180,000 per year for 30 years. Since then, teacher salaries have more than TRIPLED!!! What are the results year after year? That's right. Way below the national average.

Screw the Teachers and especially the TEACHER's UNION!


on March 14,2013 | 06:02PM
tiki886 wrote:
BS!!!! 90% of the teachers have a husband who is making just as much or more than their husband so their household is making close to or more than $100,000!

No more raises and no more new spending until the ERS is FULLY funded with another $22 BILLION DOLLARS!!!

Student enrollment has held steady at about 180,000 per year for 30 years. Since then, teacher salaries have more than TRIPLED!!! What are the results year after year? That's right. Way below the national average.

Skrew the Teachers and especially the TEACHER's UNION!!!!


on March 14,2013 | 06:03PM
false wrote:
After being bullied over and over, one wonders if we're competent and confident enough to keep this whole machine going. The machine is so wound up on itself, it doesn't even hear the messages it sends. We got the message, already. We're expendable, ten more where we came from.
on March 14,2013 | 06:15PM
tiki886 wrote:
You got that right! You're a dime a dozen!
on March 14,2013 | 07:17PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
apparently salaries have increased across the board in all industries, so find another argument, unless you're suggesting teachers be paid in 1980s dollars, which makes anything you spout from this point on irrelevant. Secondly, assuming you're relatively intelligent, though previous comments suggest you lack basic logic and reasoning skills, if you really want to attract the best and the brightest to work in the public schools the state needs to pay for it. It's called recruitment and retention. Many private industries are familiar with the concept, you should be as well. You're also misogynist: 90% of teachers are women and married? One might think that because you see the teaching field as one dominated by women that they don't deserve more pay, particularly because they are married and have a supplemental income on the side, i.e. their sugar daddy husband.
on March 14,2013 | 07:59PM
sumoroach wrote:
HSTA lies and breaks contracts. WHERE IS THE DRUGS TEST? THE TEACHERS RECIEVED A A PAY RAISE> THEY SHOULD GIVE IT BACK FOR BRTEAKING THEIR CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 14,2013 | 10:08PM
jakwa wrote:
That's right! They BROKE the contract! They signed the contract knowing full well that they were going to hide under their "violating my constitutional right" umbrella once they got their pay raises and did they give it back...hell no!
on March 14,2013 | 11:16PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Nothing wrong with teachers or anyone for that matter having a wage-earning spouse. The best way to raise your standard of living is to marry someone with a steady job. Props to teachers. When you die and go to heaven, you'll hear these words, "Thanks for serving. Good job!"
on March 15,2013 | 01:58AM
st1d wrote:
it's frustrating that teachers who are underperforming and incompetent can not be moved off to being retrained, disciplined, or sent off to another profession where they will not impair the education of hawaii's children.

good teachers, perhaps like you, false, are being held back financially by the tenure system that protects teachers who impair the educational potential of our children.

allow a system of evalutation that allows the state to identify teachers who perform beneath the level of mediocrity, and, allow a restructured tenured system that allows the state to mandate retraining, discipline or removal of such teachers and there may be enough savings from the salaries of ineffective teachers to pay good teachers a reasonable salary.


on March 14,2013 | 10:43PM
Warrior1985 wrote:
Is the 100,000 before or after taxes?
on March 14,2013 | 09:47PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
I don't have a husband ( or wife) and I am a single parent. I am a teacher and work an extra part time job to pay my bills, on time, every time. You mentioned the 30 years thing..3x pay increase..how much did milk or gas cost 30 years ago? How much did I have to spend, and keep spending on my education to stay current and viable? I am not asking for a handout, but I think I have earned a livable wage. The teachers didn't create the ERS unfunded liabilities, it was short sighted individuals, (sound familiar?) who spout off on things they know nothing about and express the anger they feel about their own miserable lives and blame teachers. Pathetic.
on March 14,2013 | 10:33PM
HD36 wrote:
Ok, it's also true that Obama didn't create the entire $16.5 trillion federal deficit, but does that justify spending $1.5 million to study why 75% of lesbians are fat while 75% of homosexuals are slim?
on March 15,2013 | 01:17AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
In the last 49 years, minimum wage has increased 6 times over. From 1970 until I retired from private industry 32 years, my wage increased 8 times over. And that was the same job position throughout the years And you're grumbling because the teachers' salary tripled? By your account, they are grossly UNDERPAID!
on March 15,2013 | 01:49AM
jomama wrote:
100,000 parents should be protesting that only 15% of our public school kids complete college
on March 14,2013 | 06:09PM
tiki886 wrote:
The Teacher's Union should reimburse ALL college students who enroll in "remedial" courses in college. It means these kids wasted their time in public skrewls because it was meaningless education.
on March 14,2013 | 06:19PM
atilter wrote:
not entirely true reasoning to support the assertion. too many other factors are also in play.
on March 14,2013 | 08:13PM
soundofreason wrote:
START with MY kid. Finally "got it" due to http://www.aleks.com/
on March 14,2013 | 08:20PM
soundofreason wrote:
and not a "teacher" in sight.
on March 14,2013 | 08:21PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Thank you for making the effort as a parent.
on March 15,2013 | 02:03AM
my_opinion_only wrote:
....and following that logic, teachers should be able to levy "fines" on parents whose children come to school without having done their homework, whose children come to school without good manners, and whose children are a istraction and danger to other students.
on March 14,2013 | 08:21PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Sure thing. Also, SHOPO should pay for someone who is a repeat offender. UPW should pay for someone fails to mop something and someone slips. IBEW should pay for any electrical problems. But, parents (hopefully you aren't one) can blissfully wipe their hands clean and stroll on their merry way, because it has to be the fault of a teacher's union or anyone else but them.
on March 14,2013 | 10:42PM
HD36 wrote:
Actually we should give kids the option of skipping high school and going straight to a trade school or college.
on March 15,2013 | 01:20AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Even the "cool" students who cut class and never participated or handed in their assignments? The ones who realized they HAD to learn skills to raise the baby they already had and get ahead in life?
on March 15,2013 | 02:02AM
atilter wrote:
and those choices to complete college are directly proportionate to the degree and level of parental participation and guidance. more so than not!
on March 14,2013 | 08:01PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
What percentage of kids are supposed to go to college? 7000 kids out of 15,000? 180,000 kids, 12 grades, about 15,000 seniors...seems 1/2 is a pretty good percentage. Just using your statistics.
on March 14,2013 | 08:32PM
localguy wrote:
Sad to say our teachers just don't get it. Whining about no contract yet not wanting to talk about their failures under other contract negotiations. Like to talk about zero tolerance for students but does not apply to them. As in they feel it is ok if teachers use drugs, not wanting to conduct urinalysis to look for teacher drug users. Setting a very poor example for students. Teachers are supposed to lead by example, sad to say not being done. Before teachers ask for more, might help to look in the mirror. Also might help to find someone who can be a quality union leader. Current management isn't cutting it. Again, if you want respect, it must be earned.
on March 14,2013 | 06:10PM
HD36 wrote:
True, and they get all the kids out there holding signs for them. " You want a good grade don't you?"
on March 14,2013 | 06:43PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Wow..what a ridiculous comment.
on March 14,2013 | 10:44PM
HD36 wrote:
What's ridiculous is having kids wearing red hearts on their shirts holding up signs, begging for more pay for public union workers. Is it any different if nurses had patients in wheel chairs and tubes sticking out of them holding up signs saying, " Give the Nurses a Raise or else we'll suffer a horrendous death!?" At least the patients are over 18 and wouldn't be manipulated by teachers into holding signs for them.
on March 15,2013 | 12:52AM
BubbaB25 wrote:
Just another ignorant lost soul. You must have been the student in the back of the room, fooling around, not listening to your teacher, never doing your homework, teasing the kids as nerds because they actually studied and went off to college to make a better life for themselves. Every year Hawaii public school students head off to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Michigan , the Military Academies and many other top notch schools. But you didn't... every wonder what made you different from them ???? They had the same teachers as you, maybe its you !! Oh my God ! What a concept , accepting resposibility for yourself ! By the way, the teachers do have drug testing in their contract, the State and teachers woked on it for three years, its over 40 pages long. Thank god the DOE had the good sense to re write the one Lingle wanted before the State got sued for millions of dollars ! Oh, and by the way, Education Weekly , a highly respected magazine in the world of education, ranks Hawaii 16th in the nation in public school education, well above the average ! Get your facts right, stop listening to your drop out friends !!
on March 14,2013 | 07:11PM
tiki886 wrote:
Shuddap! You're a dime a dozen. The garbage man can teach better than you can!
on March 14,2013 | 07:19PM
BubbaB25 wrote:
Nice comeback Potsie !!
on March 14,2013 | 07:35PM
localguy wrote:
BubbaB25 - He was talking about your post being a dime a dozen. You must be a product of Nei education, you just dont' get it. You post information, where is the reference? Got to back up what you post. Read the real truth about our "Drop Out Factories" here: http://www.thelearningcoalition.org/hawaiis-public-schools-there-is-a-lot-to-be-excited-about-already/ So many posting rookies out there. Never ceases to amaze me.
on March 14,2013 | 08:32PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
localguy, tiki886 posted the same "dime a dozen" remark to "false" an hour and 15 minutes ago. "false", I believe is a teacher. tiki886 is inferring that teachers are a dime a dozen, especially if tiki886 stated that a garbage man is better qualified to educate our children.
on March 15,2013 | 02:16AM
SomebodyElse wrote:
Brilliant...you continue to amaze.
on March 14,2013 | 08:03PM
atilter wrote:
tiki - i can sympathize with what and why you say what you say - but i can't agree with them.
on March 14,2013 | 08:11PM
Warrior1985 wrote:
I bet the garbage man gets paid more than teachers too!
on March 14,2013 | 09:38PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
You would know..garbage seems to be your expertise.
on March 14,2013 | 10:46PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Oh yes. I've met some very intelligent, articulate sanitation engineers who had the knack of imparting knowledge to all who would (or wouldn't) listen.
on March 15,2013 | 02:08AM
pcman wrote:
Having been a state teacher and a mililtary officer ,I can say that the cultures of both professions are quite different. In the military, you are expected to work as a team until the mission is completed by everyone and you do it until it hurts. As a teacher I noticed everybody does their own thing and goes home after they feel they did a days work. When any teacher is unable to keep up, there is no "leader" to muster help from the others. My thinking is that if state teachers want to make a difference, their culture needs to be changed to work as a team. I know some principals get it and you can see that their schools always do well. Maybe schools should be given monetary awards for doing well, and they can decide to split up the money or buy school supplies.
on March 14,2013 | 07:20PM
localguy wrote:
Sad to say Hawaii's education has been a rudder and engine less ship for decades. Not looking better in future years.
on March 14,2013 | 08:33PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
No, teacher, you guys want to screw us tax payers for 4 percent for four consecutive years. How many state or city and county workers are getting raises? If the teachers get a raise, everyone should get a pay raise. What makes teachers so special that they can get a raise while everyone has to continue to work with pay cuts? We don't have the money to pay the raises so the teachers suggested that we raise the excise tax to cover their raises. If you are for the teachers, you are for a raise in the excise tax. I don't know about you but I am struggling just to make ends meet. The teacher say they are struggling. Hello, we are also struggling. Raising the excise tax takes food away from our children's mouths. Shame on the teachers.
on March 14,2013 | 07:24PM
Waterman2 wrote:
Why bother with contract ? Teachers don't live up to them anyway. I'm still trying to figure out what went down with drug testing.
on March 14,2013 | 07:25PM
my_opinion_only wrote:
Waterman2? You're several years behind the times, I'm afraid. The Drug and Alcohol Testing Proceures have been completely rewriiten since the Lingle-(non-funded/ open-to-lawsuits version), complete with fancy flowcharts.
on March 14,2013 | 08:31PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
Me too, drug testing was contested and the employer wimped out. Go figure. Maybe it was always just a political ploy anyways. I disagree that teachers didn't live up to the contract. Obviously it wasn't the only thing in the contract, just the only thing anyone seemed to care about. Symbolically, the HSTA blew it, but if that's the only gripe you have with teachers then you don't understand what they're doing. Principals already had the power to target teachers on reasonable suspicion and have them tested. The random drug testing might have been taken by teachers as accusatory, when the majority are going to be fine. The antagonistic nature of the relationship between the State and teachers probably led to teachers seeing the drug testing as a witch hunt, instead of another tool to keep our kids safe from the dangers of meth.
on March 14,2013 | 08:50PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
The teachers want a four percent pay cut for four consecutive years. How many state or city and county workers are getting a raise? We cannot afford to pay their raises so they suggested we raise the excise tax. Raising the excise tax takes away food from our tables. Food for our children. If they teachers are going to get a raise, then everyone else should get a raise. We are all struggling. Not just the teachers. Anyone in support of the teachers is in support for an increase in the excise tax. The teachers would be taking food from our children's mouths.
on March 14,2013 | 07:29PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
Seems one of the unions in arbitration got a 3% raise and the 5% restored plus back pay. Regardless, the issue is retention and recruitment. Last I saw the city isn't struggling with park directors, maintenance men, lawn mowers...and their contribution, though important, is not as critical as the education of the kids. So, sorry, teachers are important and if the state is serious about moving things forward they need to deal with recruitment and retention. To balance the increases they should have a reliable evaluation system, as well as a way to address students who are not making the grade. You can't pass them along and expect them to be high functioning by the time they get into high school.
on March 14,2013 | 08:18PM
tiki886 wrote:
You and your cohorts are certainly not worth $22 BILLION DOLLARS and you want MORE money???? Go skrew yourself!!!!
on March 14,2013 | 07:30PM
BubbaB25 wrote:
So eloquent ! Please tell us how you really feel !
on March 14,2013 | 07:37PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
I think you mean "cadres," teachers are commies, right?
on March 14,2013 | 08:19PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Lol..nice one!
on March 14,2013 | 10:48PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
I am so fuming at the teachers that I typed pay "cut" instead of pay "raise". That is how much the teachers mean to me and I am sure that others feel the same way. And teachers wonder why many of us have negative feelings about them. They strike us with threats of strikes and then wonder why we are fed up with them.
on March 14,2013 | 07:31PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
Why would teachers strike? How does that benefit anyone? But, when the Governor comes out and says he can just impose the contract he wants on teachers if they don't do what he wants, that leaves a bad feeling. When you add on the fact that teachers are being asked to do more in less time and have been bashed and battered by all sides, the only place teachers can exert power is through a strike. Truly, if the Governor was honorable he would have accepted the contract teachers agreed to. He, however, said it was off the table. What's up with that? That's pretty weak. Worse, teachers are now all riled up, "organizing" in protest to demonstrate their force; a veiled threat? Regardless, I suggest that the teacher bashing has gotten so bad that any attempt by upper management (DOE/Gov) to assuage bad blood will be read as insincere and simply add insult to injury. Hate to say it, but if all sides are bashing the teachers, why would they care about what anyone thinks. They're boxed into a corner and have only one way out. They're going to become a real union, screw everyone else and just think of themselves, and the minute they do that, they'll get what they want. I think they should wait until football season, then the "blank" will hit the fan.
on March 14,2013 | 08:30PM
Warrior1985 wrote:
So are you saying you want us to work for free? How about you do your job for free and never take a raise for the rest of your life okay;)
on March 14,2013 | 09:35PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
Lets calm down, I can see from your screen name you are a sane and reasonable person. No daddy, not the belt? Wow..issues here I think.
on March 14,2013 | 10:49PM
Anonymous wrote:
Drug test anyone?
on March 14,2013 | 07:35PM
BubbaB25 wrote:
the teachers do have drug testing in their contract, the State and teachers worked on it for three years, its over 40 pages long. Thank god the DOE had the good sense to re write the one Lingle wanted before the State got sued for millions of dollars
on March 14,2013 | 08:20PM
localguy wrote:
DOE has no good sense, our schools education status proves this. Nothing wrong with drug testing if you do not use drugs. So what has the union to fear?
on March 14,2013 | 08:35PM
HAL9000 wrote:
Poppy seeds, vitamin B, B6, B12, energy drinks, and 95% of what you eat can be drawn up positive on a drug test...You dummy.
on March 14,2013 | 09:58PM
localguy wrote:
HAL9000 - Here we go again, another posting rookie who failed to do their due diligence before posting. Failed to engage brain before typing. Hello, the military has been drug testing for decades. There are very fine tests that rule out the majority of the false positives you mention. Same type of procedures used for the Olympic athletes. Tests are extremely accurate. Also, anyone who does come up positive is given a chance to show what they have been eating, test results are reviewed and retested. Also, hair testing can show drug use going back for months. As long as you do not use drugs you have nothing to worry about. Hmmm, wonder what HAL9000 is using for such shibai posts. We all know the history of HAl............
on March 14,2013 | 11:03PM
thatsashame_0723 wrote:
You lost me at "DOE had the good sense."
on March 14,2013 | 10:30PM
SomebodyElse wrote:
They got that, just like every other comparable profession in the state. But since you brought that up, that's the only problem you have with teachers? Man, you are really bitter about something that has no real impact on the delivery of instruction to kids for the supermajority of kids. If that's all you got, then you need to learn a new song.
on March 14,2013 | 08:35PM
my_opinion_only wrote:
Enough with the old tired argument. Teachers have always HAD reasonable-suspicion drug and alcohol testing, and they STILL do. You can read all about it on pages 28 and 29 of the LBFO.
on March 14,2013 | 08:38PM
HAL9000 wrote:
The LBFO is not the controling document you dummy.
on March 14,2013 | 09:57PM
XML808 wrote:
State employee in the executive branch MUST agree to drug and alcohol testing as a CONDIITON to employment. Teachers? Nah. Employees in the executive branch must have a perforamce evaluation in order to get a raise. Teachers? Nah. The public is blind and stupid because they've been drinking the Kool Aid that Wil Okabe is serving. Hey, Will. Whatcha gonna do about th problems at the deaf and blind school? I betcha you're answer is gonna be that it is a concern of the State and not the union. Oh, yeah? If you were so concerned about students, you'd be ALL OVER this. But so far NOTHING! You are a sham!
on March 14,2013 | 09:43PM
HaoleGuy wrote:
What are you talking about? Executive branch employees have to agree to take drug tests is wrong. Period. I know, you don't. Please show evidence of one employee in the Executive branch being drug tested.
on March 14,2013 | 10:52PM
Warrior1985 wrote:
Teachers don't want to strike but what other choice do teachers have? Just be a yes man and say that everything is okay when it's not. People are saying that if we get a raise than taxes will be raised and less children will be fed. You do know that teachers also have mouths to feed of their own and bills to pay right? Also, you do know that if taxes do increase that we will also be paying the higher taxes and not only you. Our governor is very smart and twisting things around and saying whatever he needs to say to make himself look like the "good" guy and make teachers look like the greedy enemies. You can never fully understand a situation unless you walk in the shoes of the person you're judging. The grass is always greener on the other side.
on March 14,2013 | 09:53PM
HAL9000 wrote:
There were 4,590 teachers at that rally. I counted them. Anyone in government or in the public who thinks cutting educator wages for 4 years in a row, and raising medical cost 110 percent is good for educaton, is in need of an education. THose people are now classified as a dummies. Get the picture. We live in the cyber space age, not the stone age. Hawaii cannot compete with the the East nor the West in education with the lowest paid educators in the USA.
on March 14,2013 | 09:55PM
localguy wrote:
You counted them? Ohhh puhleeze, give us a break you dummy.
on March 14,2013 | 11:04PM
HD36 wrote:
How can America compete with the rest of the world being the largest debtor nation in the history of the world? In case you haven't noticed hundred of municipalities around the US are on the verge of bankruptcy. California has to let out 30,000 prisoners because it can't afford to house them. How is it that Teachers in China and Korea get paid less but the students score higher in math and science?
on March 15,2013 | 12:59AM
HAL9000 wrote:
When Educators pay 35% of taxes over the last 4 years, then you have a problem Houston.
on March 14,2013 | 09:56PM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Thank God for unions. We would be like Mississippi otherwise--teaching creationism and denying climate change. Unions make schools better.
on March 14,2013 | 11:08PM
HD36 wrote:
Funny how unions in the private sector have declined over 50% and those in the public sector have increased over 50%
on March 15,2013 | 01:04AM
HD36 wrote:
So you're saying public union teachers around America only teach evolutionism and global warming theories? And you thank God?
on March 15,2013 | 01:26AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News