POSTED: 09:58 p.m. HST, Mar 15, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 06:35 a.m. HST, Mar 16, 2013
Unattended food ignited a small fire which resulted in a big headache for Honolulu firefighters, police, and residents of the Admiral Thomas condominium complex on Kinau Street Friday evening.
According to Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig, food was left cooking on a stove in a 22nd-floor apartment unit while the residents were away. Smoke activated a sprinkler system that extinguished the fire but caused water damage to at least two units in the building.
Police redirected traffic off of Kinau, between Victoria Street and Pensacola Street and dozens of residents returning to the complex were left waiting outside while firefighters located the problem and worked to remove the excess water.
Damage from the fire was deemed “minimal” and no injuries were reported.