Quantcast

Monday, July 28, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Woman, 80, hit by vehicle in Chinatown

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 09:31 a.m. HST, Apr 07, 2013



Paramedics took an 80-year-old woman to the hospital in serious condition after she was struck by a vehicle in Chinatown this morning, according to the Emergency Medical Services Division.

The accident happened at about 7:15 a.m. near the intersection of Beretania and River streets.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(23)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
allie wrote:
This seems to ahppen every day out here. Slow down people!
on April 7,2013 | 09:59AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Get the facts straight, allie. Just like your comment on the pedestrian accident in Kapahulu, ya don't know if the driver was speeding. You don't know if the old woman simply stepped off the curb on the red light. It's not always the driver's fault in a pedestrian accident. Please comment intelligently.
on April 8,2013 | 05:56AM
false wrote:
Ess why hahd. Why u guys gotta rush to get anywhere anytime? Just take your time, man.
on April 7,2013 | 10:06AM
false wrote:
Let me go try vee zuah lize. Beretania is only Ewa bound and River Street goes both directions, mauka and makai. It does not say, however it was inattention to detail that caused this. What rush can one have on a Sunday morning?
on April 7,2013 | 10:08AM
false wrote:
No I take that back, as the section along Aala Park up to Maunakea Street is two ways for Beretania. A person of age, namely 75 and above will have shorter reaction time than people younger.
on April 7,2013 | 10:10AM
false wrote:
The only time one can let their guard down especially turning a corner, is say when one is walking in an office and turning a corner. We could get out of the way of people. In cars, even going at 10 mph is fast enough to collide with an immobile senior.
on April 7,2013 | 10:12AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
false, you cannot let your guard down turning a corner walking in an office. How many times in your life that you almost bump into someone, coming around a corner? For me, it's been quite a few times. LOL, you can let your guard down, walking down a long hallway, if no one is behind or fronting you. On a long stretch of road, ya still gotta keep your guard up. Never know what's gonna come up behind you, from the side of the road or whatever. Driving in town, ya never know if and when a pedestrian will walk right onto the road.
on April 8,2013 | 06:10AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
It's almost always an elderly person. I see many of them walking around town that seem to have no sense of what's going on around them, they cross the street without looking and just seem to be in their own world, totally oblivious to everything that occurs around them.
on April 7,2013 | 01:58PM
false wrote:
Even many of those that are young enough are so occupied with their life that they also get hit or nearly hit. It is because of this dog eat dog world and the mentality that I must be one second better than the next guy. Speaking of which, I was just involved in a Road Rage incident just within the past two hours. I was the first vehicle stopped at left most land of the intersection of Beretania and Pensacola, preparing to make a left turn, makai into Pensacola. The vehicle behind me honked the horn because they thought i daydreaming. It did not occur to me that one could make a left turn from a one way street on the left most lane, when the street I am turning into is also one way. Well this got me irritated because who is that driver to say that well let us save a few seconds just by being "smart". Those are the kinds of thinking that lead to this type of accident reported this morning to another of our Kupuna.
on April 7,2013 | 02:26PM
sailfish1 wrote:
You should learn the road rules before you drive. You weren't "daydreaming" , you are just NOT too smart (putting it politely) and you have a nerve saying that YOU were irritated.
on April 7,2013 | 06:28PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
I will "politely" agree with sailfish1's comment.
on April 8,2013 | 06:12AM
hikine wrote:
People sometimes speed up in that little section of road and most times don't completely stop at the corner and rather do a rolling stop. People should remember that streets are not drag strips!
on April 7,2013 | 12:11PM
false wrote:
The term Chinatown is racist and derogatory. It should be named AsianWorld.
on April 7,2013 | 02:16PM
false wrote:
By the way, it was not me that said this, it was another of our "false" population. I just want to say that well yes there are Vietnamese, Korean, etc, in Chinatown.
on April 7,2013 | 02:34PM
IAmSane wrote:
You're stupid.
on April 7,2013 | 04:00PM
mikethenovice wrote:
Should be named deplorable rattown.
on April 8,2013 | 05:52AM
atilter wrote:
too many vehicles for an island state like ours!!! mindless and/or distracted citizens are making life here quite dangerous even for the completion of the most simple of tasks. it's sad but no one really cares - that's the saddest part about the entire picture!
on April 7,2013 | 04:12PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Of course we care. At least I do. We don't know who was wrong, inattentive speeding driver or impatient, impulsive old person with slow reflexes/responses/physical abilities. A life is lost. Someone's dear friend or relative is gone. Why would you say no one cares? Do you?
on April 8,2013 | 06:19AM
mitt_grund wrote:
It's really sad that the value of life ceases when you hit the age of 65. Notice how little follow up there is in investigating the traffic/pedestrian deaths of victims 65 and over. These people no longer have value to society. Due process for these old people who are no longer of use to society would use up valuable financial resources. The law says one thing, the investigative process and judicial process say another. Eh, no beeg thing. They old, so why waste time, brah. Say aloha oe and get on with life. People and the judicial system have forgotten that the vehicle has a considerable weight advantage over a 65 and over body, and that due caution should be exercised always -- such as not speeding, not driving with attention, not talking on a cell phone, and not putting on that eye liner while driving.
on April 8,2013 | 06:56AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Hawaii drivers are probably the worst in the U.S. I almost think they are similar to third-world country drivers. As clarification, third-world car owners are generally the well-to-do and they drive around with no regard for pedestrians because they feel that they are better than them.
on April 7,2013 | 06:33PM
mikethenovice wrote:
This is news? Before you shed a tear and blame the cars, you should go there and see the many jaywalkers. Especially the foreign speaking ones. They need to learn to heed the rules that is there for their protection.
on April 8,2013 | 05:50AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Nobody speeds in Chinatown during business hours. It's just to gridlock to be able to do that.
on April 8,2013 | 05:51AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Lots of old people are tired of living. Nice way to end it by stepping in front of a car?
on April 8,2013 | 05:53AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Bionic Reporter
Needing a new knee

Warrior Beat
Monday musings

Small Talk
Burning money

Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan