Thursday, April 24, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 19 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Smartphone production overtakes 'dumb' phones

By Peter Svensson

AP Technology Writer

LAST UPDATED: 06:07 a.m. HST, Apr 27, 2013

NEW YORK >> Research firm IDC said more smartphones than "dumb" phones are being made this year, a milestone in a shift that's putting computing power and Internet access in millions of hands worldwide.

Manufacturers shipped 216 million smartphones worldwide in the first three months of this year, compared with 189 million regular cellphones, according to a study IDC released late Thursday. IDC said smartphones made up 51.6 percent of the 419 million mobile phones shipped.

In the U.S., smartphones overtook regular cellphones in 2011. IDC analyst Ramon Llamas said Friday that the shift to a global majority of smartphones is now being driven by consumers in developing countries such as China, India and Indonesia.

Another firm, ABI Research, found that smartphones made up 49 percent of shipments in the first quarter. Samsung Electronics Co., the world's largest phone maker, doesn't provide a breakdown of its phone shipments, and analysts vary in their estimates. Even going by ABI's numbers, it's clear that smartphones will solidly overtake the market this year.

The shift from phones primarily designed for calls, and perhaps texting, to ones with advanced operating systems and touch screens has roiled the cellphone industry. Finland's Nokia Corp. was for many years the world's largest maker of cellphones, but it has failed to translate that into success in smartphones. It's now the second-largest maker of phones overall, behind Samsung Electronics Co., but it falls far down the list of smartphone makers.

Cellphone pioneer Motorola Mobility, a U.S. company now owned by Google, has stumbled through the transition as well, while Apple Inc. has become the world's third-largest maker of cellphones, less than six years after launching the first iPhone. Samsung and Apple are the top makers of smartphones. LG Electronics Inc. of South Korea; HTC Corp. of Taiwan; and ZTE Corp. and Huawei Technologies Ltd. of China jostle for the No. 3 position.

COMMENTS

mikethenovice wrote:
The dumb people use a smartphone and the smart people, like myself, use the dumb phone. Look who is allowing their phone control every thought and second in their lives?
on April 26,2013 | 05:32PM
yrusodz wrote:
actually the opposite is true. People who use dumb phones are afraid of technology and unable to master technology. People who use smart phones to manage their affairs more efficiently.
on April 26,2013 | 07:26PM
mikethenovice wrote:
I just need a phone to talk on for emergency reasons. I don't need a phone to gossip on a social media website all day long.
on April 26,2013 | 11:34PM
false wrote:
So with you bruddah. Inadequates have a Smartphone so they can affirm their Identity. Ever notice? Texting all the time or searching. Can't sit through a meeting and connect, the phone is the center of their universe. Get real.
on April 27,2013 | 07:24AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Hello, yrusodz. Are you home? Are you alright? Can you hear me? Please rebuttal me:)
on April 27,2013 | 06:18AM
dz, I'm not siding with mike, but my wife and I use dumb phones. Heck she doesn't even text, lol. We're Baby Boomers. It's not that we're afraid of technology and unable to master it. It's just that we don't need instant gratification. Since I have computers at home and @ the office, I find no need to have i-net access @ all times. Besides, my kids are around us, so they can access the 'net for us if we want it. When internet access with smart phones is offered cheap or free, I'll be smart enough to use smart phones.
on April 27,2013 | 07:25AM
I'm with you all the way. We have dunb phone for use at Costco and department stores when we get separated. When we visit Honolulu and shop at Ala Moana, we use the phones to meet at the bus stop and ride TheBus to Ilikai. We carry our i-Pads to Hawaii and leave our laptops at home. She has the latest 7" and I have the 3rd generation Retina display 10 incher. Fortunately most of the condo-units at the Ilikai have Wi-Fi hot-spot in the lobby and units.
on April 27,2013 | 07:57AM
yrusodz wrote:
Well, let's see. Between classes I can research a paper during my lunch break, trade notes with classmates by text message or ask my professors questions and receive answers by email. My boss can email me that he needs me to cover a shift next week and I can reply between classes. At work, during break I can continue to research for my homework and when I complete it I can email the completed paper to my professor. I can stay in touch with my family and maybe help my little brother with his homework by text message while waiting for or riding the bus when my car is in the shop. Social networks? I check my facebook once a week if that. I carry a full time course load and I work about 30 to 35 hours a week, sometimes I work full time. If it weren't for my smartphone there is no way I would be able to pull it off it allows me to make use of time that is normally idle. If my life was as undemanding as yours obviously is I'd settle for the quite life and a dumb phone but then I'd probably end up being a 5 to 6 year freshman like your favorite allie.
on April 27,2013 | 10:43AM
yrusodz wrote:
by the way...I know you all got the hots for her. If it's even true that allie is a she and not a...you know, dakine.
on April 27,2013 | 10:46AM
yrusodz wrote:
yikes!
on April 27,2013 | 11:16AM
yrusodz wrote:
or was it giggle?
on April 27,2013 | 11:20AM
During lunch at work, I either eat with friends or practice playing my uke in the lobby for everyone to enjoy. I'm a part-time student in college, but I do my research on my home computer. My papers are always on time, and I email it from home. I text on my dumb phone during the day and answer my emails on my home computer. My boss calls me when I'm on the road( on the job) with my dumb phone and I answer. LOL, my boss would never call me after hours, except in dire emergencies. I work M-F, 8-430pm. I can stay in touch with family on my dumb phone. I can help my college kids with their homework with my dumb phone, as well as coordinate dates, pick up times and locations. I retired after 32 years (with pension) and am working towards a 25-year pension (with another pension!). If it wasn't for my dumb phone. On idle time when I don't need the dumb phone, I clean house, cook for the family, work on my bike, my car and go beach. Undemanding? That's a laugh. I know how to manage my time, and I don't have to cram every waking moment being connected to an inanimate appliance. The saddest thing I see is young kids standing together, but on their phones, totally disconnected from the friends they're hanging out with. It's an addiction that people young and not so young are totally hooked on. And THEN there are those interactive games you can waste your time on.
on April 27,2013 | 01:00PM
Toop_Minaki wrote:
yrusodz I commend you on your ambition and work ethic. It's obvious that these people don't get you and see fit to mix you in with their kids they know who sit around playing games or chatting on their smart phones. Well as with any tool or useful implement they are subject to different degrees of use. Don't worry about these comments from those who clearly don't understand the implications of technology, keep on with what you are doing!! When you make it into the career market you'll have a huge edge over their kids and grand kids. IMUA...go forward!!
on April 27,2013 | 01:26PM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
Toop and False - still on the fence about this yrusodz persona. I recall this one making a lot of really obnoxious ALL-LIE like statements but seems to have mellowed a bit. This one also claims to be a "student". Is it really a different person or is it that because the original make believe student backed themselves into a corner claiming that they will graduate in December and had to disappear and resurface as someone else? But one way or another, the quality of comments in this blog have increased since ALL-LIE went silent.
on April 27,2013 | 05:26PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
How 'bout me, Toop? You commending me on my ambition and work ethic too? Nah,I know my kids don't sit around playing games and chatting on their smart phones. My son graduates with honors in May, His $50K job starts in September.. First round draft pick in the Accounting Club .My SIL is a teacher, so I know he'll keep my grand kids in line.
on April 27,2013 | 07:52PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
FWIW, I'm the Anonymous guy who posted above. SA changed me.
on April 27,2013 | 08:02PM
false wrote:
Smartphone, way too over rated and technology intrusive. Leave it in the car all day long. Got yelled by someone admired and supported over the cell phone. Since then really don't respond to anyone but family. NO work calls. Refuse to be controlled by information bombardment. We choose how much access allowed. Not available for anymore "attacks" or "obake" actions.
on April 27,2013 | 07:22AM
mikethenovice wrote:
When I leave the house, all I need to keep me well informed is my print copy of the Honolulu Star Advertiser.
on April 27,2013 | 12:09AM
false wrote:
Hey, do that everyday too. Then it's done. How much more bad news is there to consider? Take care. Have a great day.
on April 27,2013 | 07:25AM